Peter Jok video (June 2012)

Not a big ten athlete. Watch the highlight clip, he wouldn't be getting those shots off against players with a pulse. He had trouble dunking in the open floor.

Not sure I see all that much similarity in their play. That seems like a bit of an oversimplification. We need guys who can shoot the rock -the more the better.

With one scholarship available Fran is going to be very selective in who he takes. An under-athletic kid with a history of injuries isn't going go get the ride.

i really feel his only option for a chance at iowa will be to walk on and earn a scholly. as i watch his game i believe he is a better fit for a slow down half court team. he is a good player but i think alexander or morgan would be better fits for our style of offense.

This is a huge weekend for Jok. Probably the biggest of his basketball life to date. If he can't hold his own at this camp then high majors could back off. If he does, he'll have options.

Last edited:
i really feel his only option for a chance at iowa will be to walk on and earn a scholly. as i watch his game i believe he is a better fit for a slow down half court team. he is a good player but i think alexander or morgan would be better fits for our style of offense.

He wont walk on at Iowa, he'll have too many offers when it comes down to it.

He wont walk on at Iowa, he'll have too many offers when it comes down to it.

he just really seems to have lost a step. maybe he is still recovering and could get back to what he was but with how long it has taken it kind of would worry me that this is his 100% now. hopefully he can get back there because he had incredible ability but the injury has turned him into more of a set & jump shooter and he seems to be a lot less of a slasher. i think we need shooters but we also need people that can run the floor and press and right now i would worry about those parts of his game. physically he is the build i would prefer though.

he just really seems to have lost a step. maybe he is still recovering and could get back to what he was but with how long it has taken it kind of would worry me that this is his 100% now. hopefully he can get back there because he had incredible ability but the injury has turned him into more of a set & jump shooter and he seems to be a lot less of a slasher. i think we need shooters but we also need people that can run the floor and press and right now i would worry about those parts of his game. physically he is the build i would prefer though.

Don't you think he can still get around players better than Iowa's other 2-guard options? I do. He is a good shooter. Also shot over 85% from line last year.

He is coming off two seasons of rust due to the knees...he is going to have to show something this weekend at the NBA camp in order to regain some of the star factor he once had.

i think ogelsby is better at this point. i think he will show the most improvement of any player this yr. after jo he is better then the guys after him.

i trust that if he takes the offer and fran goes with him then fran sees something that makes him believe and that is why he makes that decision and i dont.

the length of time it has taken him to get to "85%" just gives me pause that he may never get to 100%. his 85% is better than most guys 100% but if we can get someone who is 100% and better i would feel more confident.

Don't you think he can still get around players better than Iowa's other 2-guard options?

No, Iowa has three guys one could consider a 2-guard that can drive it as well as Jok has shown thus far. Do we need to dig up some video of Josh taking is past high school kids, Ingram is also more athletic and can get to the rim, and Marble is a no-brainer. Someone mentioned Worley earlier, and I see that.

Everyone talks about Jok needing to get 'back' into form, but he has never demonstrated that he is big time basketball talent. He was a promising 8th grader, hardly some can't miss recruit.

If Iowa had three rides, maybe you take a chance, but you don't gamble on a kid who can't stay healthy and has never been a good high school prospect.

I don't see why you don't take him. yes, he isn't 100% but if Doctors expect him to get there eventually why not? Look at our 2 deeps, who gets replaced by whoever takes this scholly? Whoever takes it likely wont see a lot of minutes year 1. If he were to be at 95% year 2 is what you look at. Because his 2nd year is where we have some turnover in players.

Does he look like the absolute best player Iowa could get for the 2/3 position from that video?

No.

Does he look like a player that could continue to improve and fit well into Iowa's current group of players?

To me, yes.

If Marble stays senior year, which I'm guessing he certainly will, Jok's first year will probably look something like this.

PG: Gesell, Clemmons
SG: Ogelsby, Marble, Ingram, Gessell, Clemmons, Jok
SF: Marble, Uthoff, Ingram, White (probably will play 4), Jok
PF: Huge log jam, with Basabe and White at the top
C: Woodbury, Olesani, Meyer and the PFs

If everyone pans out, I'm not seeing a lot of holes there, frankly. Maybe a burly PF or a high flying Shannon Brown type would be nice. But besides that what Iowa could use is another wing three point shooter.

If Marble left after this year (I'm just including it as a possibility) Iowa could then use his scholarship on an explosive wing player. For now, though, I think that scholarship could be used on a player like Jok who might get better as he recovers from his injury or could be a decent three-point option that comes off the bench. Iowa could afford to gamble here and perhaps even redshirt Jok, is what I'm saying.

A year later, subtract Marble and Basabe and add in two other players, hopefully even better recruits if Fran can keep this thing going.

All this said: If a five-star shooting guard wants to come to Iowa, by all means take him over Jok.

1. I don't see why you don't take him. yes, he isn't 100% but if Doctors expect him to get there eventually why not?

2. Look at our 2 deeps, who gets replaced by whoever takes this scholly?

3. Whoever takes it likely wont see a lot of minutes year 1. If he were to be at 95% year 2 is what you look at. Because his 2nd year is where we have some turnover in players.

1. Not trying to be negative, but he's never proven how good he is. Most talk about his 100% as if it is given Jok is a big time talent. Sure, we don't know if he will ever be fully healthy, but we don't even know how good he is when he is healthy- that's a big risk.

2. Not sure what you are asking. The 2013 scholarship is available because May will be graduating. Hopefully Fran can land a player better and more proven than Jok, E.C. Matthews would be ideal- but he doesn't seem interested.

3. Although Iowa's roster is starting to look much better, there is still space for a guy who can get to the basket, a 2013 player could certainly earn his fair share of minutes. No need to treat it like a throwaway ride.

For those doubting Jok, it's tough to argue. Two years of ring rust is a ton. He just has so much to prove this summer.

Does he look like the absolute best player Iowa could get for the 2/3 position from that video?

No.

Does he look like a player that could continue to improve and fit well into Iowa's current group of players?

To me, yes.

If Marble stays senior year, which I'm guessing he certainly will, Jok's first year will probably look something like this.

PG: Gesell, Clemmons
SG: Ogelsby, Marble, Ingram, Gessell, Clemmons, Jok
SF: Marble, Uthoff, Ingram, White (probably will play 4), Jok
PF: Huge log jam, with Basabe and White at the top
C: Woodbury, Olesani, Meyer and the PFs

If everyone pans out, I'm not seeing a lot of holes there, frankly. Maybe a burly PF or a high flying Shannon Brown type would be nice. But besides that what Iowa could use is another wing three point shooter.

If Marble left after this year (I'm just including it as a possibility) Iowa could then use his scholarship on an explosive wing player. For now, though, I think that scholarship could be used on a player like Jok who might get better as he recovers from his injury or could be a decent three-point option that comes off the bench. Iowa could afford to gamble here and perhaps even redshirt Jok, is what I'm saying.

A year later, subtract Marble and Basabe and add in two other players, hopefully even better recruits if Fran can keep this thing going.

All this said: If a five-star shooting guard wants to come to Iowa, by all means take him over Jok.

This is where I stand.
Bottom line: Only Fran knows where we sit with other recruits, and also probably has talked with Jok's physicians,so he has better info than any of us on this situation. I trust Fran's judgement.
I believe that Jok is related to other Sudanese bb players who have succeeded at a high level,like Luol Deng. These guys tend to continue to develop physically, as Deng has as a Bull. I like the length,the shooting stroke and ballhandling skills. Those can take a player a long way.

It is Fran's call,and he knows what he is doing. I will trust him to do the right thing.

i wouldnt put ingram ahead of jok. yes ingram is quicker to the basket but he is much shorter which will make finishing harder. along with ingram not showing nearly the shot that jok has. like i said i would take the kid but i feel there maybe guys 100% that give us the same or similar upside that you wouldnt be worried about "if's" and "but's". his frosh yr would give him time to get to form though with the following.

pg - gesell, clemmons
sg - ogelsby, ingram, jok
sf - marble, uthoff
pf - white, basabe, meyer
c - woodbury, mccabe, olaseni

obviously players will play multiple positions but this is where i see their main time. after that yr we would have 3 open schollies. if woodbury (the only guy i think could at some point leave early) leaves early i think it would be after a huge soph yr otherwise i think he would stay. so at most 4 schollies. but if we go off the 3 schollies then i think they try to bring in a wing (2 or 3) probably more of a 3 unless they prefer jok there. probably bring in a pg to be a frosh during gesell/clemmons jr yr for a better continuity. and another 5 type or best 4/5 guy they can get. sets up well for a better transition.

I am surprised so many people are quick to dismiss Jok. If healthy, he has more potential than Ogelsby, Ingram, and Clemmons. I would say at 85% he is probably better than Ingram and Clemmons. If doctors believe he can be 100% than that is a real positive. Iowa should continue to recruit him and if he shows that he is back this summer than go after him hard.

Latest posts