Peter Jok video (June 2012)

I would say at 85% he is probably better than Ingram and Clemmons.

What leads you to believe that?

I really don't want to be the anti-Jok guy, hopefully he ends up a ten time NBA All-Star and a hall-of-famer, but I do question the excitement over the guy- almost all of it stemming from a few good camp performances before he ever entered high school.

Consider what you see from Jok, then look at this vid from EC Matthews of Romulus, who has an Iowa offer according to Rob Howe. Would be tough to pass on this kid based on eyeball comparison now, no?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLiMBka1Djk]E.C. Matthews 2013 Romulus - YouTube[/ame]

This is where I stand.
Bottom line: Only Fran knows where we sit with other recruits, and also probably has talked with Jok's physicians,so he has better info than any of us on this situation. I trust Fran's judgement.
I believe that Jok is related to other Sudanese bb players who have succeeded at a high level,like Luol Deng. These guys tend to continue to develop physically, as Deng has as a Bull. I like the length,the shooting stroke and ballhandling skills. Those can take a player a long way.

It is Fran's call,and he knows what he is doing. I will trust him to do the right thing.

Agree.....I definitely trust Fran's judgement. I think he will also be keeping a close eye on how Dondre Alexander and Jeremy Morgan perform this summer at camps/tourneys.

Every interview I've seen from Matthews does not even mention Iowa. Hopefully that is not indicative of his interest, because he would be a fantastic addition.

This might be far-fetched, but the only articles about Matthews I've read are from smaller recruiting sites, hopefully they are just copy and pasting his old list from previous articles.

His video is impressive, dunking in traffic, taking his man to the hoop and finishing with contact.

1. Not trying to be negative, but he's never proven how good he is. Most talk about his 100% as if it is given Jok is a big time talent. Sure, we don't know if he will ever be fully healthy, but we don't even know how good he is when he is healthy- that's a big risk.

2. Not sure what you are asking. The 2013 scholarship is available because May will be graduating. Hopefully Fran can land a player better and more proven than Jok, E.C. Matthews would be ideal- but he doesn't seem interested.

3. Although Iowa's roster is starting to look much better, there is still space for a guy who can get to the basket, a 2013 player could certainly earn his fair share of minutes. No need to treat it like a throwaway ride.

I get what you are saying, but at the same time you also make the perfect case for taking a kid, RS him, as we shouldn't need him right away to produce. If that is the case, don't you look for the kid with the absolute best talent ceiling long term? Not the kid who is more polished, yet doesn't really have a super high ceiling.

Just throwing it out there, but you gotta take that into consideration. As JH pointed out about the Sudanese players. They continue to develop, they have a good body type to build on, and he has family that plays in the NBA at a high level.

I trust in Fran's judgement, he has an eye for talent, and he knows how he wants to use his roster. If we signed Jok, I would be excited. If we sign another kid, I will be excited about him also.

I get what you are saying, but at the same time you also make the perfect case for taking a kid, RS him, as we shouldn't need him right away to produce. If that is the case, don't you look for the kid with the absolute best talent ceiling long term? Not the kid who is more polished, yet doesn't really have a super high ceiling.

Just throwing it out there, but you gotta take that into consideration. As JH pointed out about the Sudanese players. They continue to develop, they have a good body type to build on, and he has family that plays in the NBA at a high level.

I trust in Fran's judgement, he has an eye for talent, and he knows how he wants to use his roster. If we signed Jok, I would be excited. If we sign another kid, I will be excited about him also.

Im not crazy about the RS idea. If Fran did that, this would be the roster during Jok's first year on campus:

Basabe- SR
Marble- SR
McCabe- SR
White- JR
Oglesby- JR
Olaseni- JR
Woodbury- SO
Gesell- SO
Ingram- SO
Meyer- SO
Clemmons- SO
Uthoff- SO
Jok- RS FR

That would leave us with a year where Fran would not have a single scholarship available to give out.

Sure you could only fill 4 or 5 schollys the year before when Woodbury, Gesell, etc graduate but then you are back to not having a full roster of scholarship players. Redshirts are not that common in basketball at the B1G, I would prefer to find someone that can play right away.

I think Jon should reinstate Herby's HN access so we can get his expert opinion on the matter. Only then will we know if Jok is truly fit for a spot on the roster.

Last edited:
Im not crazy about the RS idea. If Fran did that, this would be the roster during Jok's first year on campus:

Basabe- SR
Marble- SR
McCabe- SR
White- JR
Oglesby- JR
Olaseni- JR
Woodbury- SO
Gesell- SO
Ingram- SO
Meyer- SO
Clemmons- SO
Uthoff- SO
Jok- RS FR

That would leave us with a year where Fran would not have a single scholarship available to give out.

Sure you could only fill 4 or 5 schollys the year before when Woodbury, Gesell, etc graduate but then you are back to not having a full roster of scholarship players. Redshirts are not that common in basketball at the B1G, I would prefer to find someone that can play right away.

Whether the incoming 2013 recruit (whomever it is) RS or not will be a product of the roster and playing time. I mean if a kid can't crack the top 8-9 players, why burn a year eligibility? I think whomever Fran brings in, this will be an issue, with the way the roster is structured currently.

1. Not trying to be negative, but he's never proven how good he is. Most talk about his 100% as if it is given Jok is a big time talent. Sure, we don't know if he will ever be fully healthy, but we don't even know how good he is when he is healthy- that's a big risk.

2. Not sure what you are asking. The 2013 scholarship is available because May will be graduating. Hopefully Fran can land a player better and more proven than Jok, E.C. Matthews would be ideal- but he doesn't seem interested.

3. Although Iowa's roster is starting to look much better, there is still space for a guy who can get to the basket, a 2013 player could certainly earn his fair share of minutes. No need to treat it like a throwaway ride.

I really can't argue with any of that.

I think whomever Fran brings in, this will be an issue, with the way the roster is structured currently.

This was the only downfall about bringing in Uthoff. 6 scholarships in one year is a lot. That is almost half of your alotted schollys. Will be interesting to see it play out.

This was the only downfall about bringing in Uthoff. 6 scholarships in one year is a lot. That is almost half of your alotted schollys. Will be interesting to see it play out.

Iowa needs to keep moving the program forward this season...then they have three rides to give next year....then three the year after that. Once the 6 player class are entering their senior year, might want to mix in a juco or two.

Iowa needs to keep moving the program forward this season...then they have three rides to give next year....then three the year after that. Once the 6 player class are entering their senior year, might want to mix in a juco or two.

I think in a perfect world, Fran wanted to bring in a JUCO to be in the same graduating class as May, and that way get 2 schollies for next year. Then he was just going to carry one over from this class and have 2 spots for 2013, but then Uthoff drops in your lap, so you can't pass it up. So plans A & B have changed, so you move one. I think at this point the best way to address the scholarship issue is as Jon pointed out. Plus lets not be naive, with this many players competing for limited slots, it isn't out of the realm that we have some attrition at some point.

I think all of this is true. That said, is there an even more of a need for a shooter? Uthoff, Gesell, Clemmons, Ingram are unknowns-of those, only Uthoff probably is considered a "shooter"/maybe Gesell (he is more of a PG). Oglesby was inconsistent at best as a Freshman. White, Marble and McCabe are not pure shooters. I think w/ the bigs on the roster, having someone who can pull the trigger quickly and consistently hit a 3 will be huge for spacing and opening things up. We hope Oglesby is that guy, but that is a lot to put on one player.

That is exactly what I see w/ Jok (shooter). Quick, compact repeatable form. He does not get a lot of lift, but has a quick release...and he is 6'6" or 6'7" so that helps.

For those doubting Jok, it's tough to argue. Two years of ring rust is a ton. He just has so much to prove this summer.

To doubt whether he can get back to 100% and say he needs to prove that is certainly valid, but anyone saying he hasn't shown he's an elite talent even when 100% hasn't seen him play at 100% health and confidence. I know things change over time, but he had the ability to take over games at the AAU level prior to his injury. The explosiveness and hops are really what he needs to regain, and it sounds as if that is part recovery, part conditioning, and a big dose of being confident in the knee.

To doubt whether he can get back to 100% and say he needs to prove that is certainly valid, but anyone saying he hasn't shown he's an elite talent even when 100% hasn't seen him play at 100% health and confidence. I know things change over time, but he had the ability to take over games at the AAU level prior to his injury. The explosiveness and hops are really what he needs to regain, and it sounds as if that is part recovery, part conditioning, and a big dose of being confident in the knee.

How old was he when he was doing this? I think some people show too much confidence in a good young player automatically evolving into a good prospect, not everyone develops at the same rate, especially a kid with less than impressive athleticism who has been sidelined due to an injury.

Not only is his healthy hurting him in the present, but it prevented him from developing at the same rate had he been healthy.

Take just about any phenomenal eighth grader, having him miss about two seasons of basketball will ****** his growth as a player. That phenomenal eight grader turns into a run-of-the-mill senior rather quickly.

How old was he when he was doing this? I think some people show too much confidence in a good young player automatically evolving into a good prospect, not everyone develops at the same rate, especially a kid with less than impressive athleticism who has been sidelined due to an injury.

Not only is his healthy hurting him in the present, but it prevented him from developing at the same rate had he been healthy.

Take just about any phenomenal eighth grader, having him miss about two seasons of basketball will ****** his growth as a player. That phenomenal eight grader turns into a run-of-the-mill senior rather quickly.

That's why I said things can change over time as to development. However, you missed on the "less than impressive athleticism" piece, that has actually always been what separated him from others. I think his shooting has probably improved greatly due to the knee issues limiting that edge. At this point he really just needs to get in shape and get some confidence in that knee, and then I guess we'll see. Run of the mill Seniors generally aren't at the NBA Players Camp.

He may or may not make it back to that elite level, I'm just saying the talent is there and at 100% he is special.

Info on Jok's play at NBA Top 100 Camp.

Ryan Mattocks@coachmattocks
Sleeper First-Team from #top100camp def. has Peter Jok (@Mazunga_32) on it. Doesn't dominate ball; does put it in hoop w/o touching rim.

Jon Miller@HawkeyeNation
Van Coleman tells me Peter Jok with 10 or so pts last night, looked better, still playing tentative. He'll need 2 progress thru July

Last edited:

Latest posts