PESSIMISTS NEED NOT READ

You must converse with or read the writings of a lot of morons, then. Looks like you have recently joined so let me officially welcome you to the board.

Look who's talking. You're the one who spends large chunks of time talking with a bunch of proles.

Guys, I got a feeling about this squad. That win over Purdue was convincing and they are peaking at the right time. I think we will get jobbed by the officials at Indiana, but aside from that, I don't see this squad losing again until maybe really late March. We will sweep through the BTT (really, who is not beatable in the conference right now on a neutral court?) and then I see us not losing again until probably March 28 or 29 in the Sweet 16 round likely to a slightly more athletic Big East team with marginally better guard play than us.

This team is gonna go on a major run right now. I'd guess we won't lose until April, but I have a feeling the NCAA will do everything in its power to stack the tournament against us as much as possible. I've seen too much NCAA anti-Iowa bias to expect us to get positioned where we need to be to make a deep run.

GO HAWKS

Well, like I projected, we had two losses in March and the NCAA committee was stacked against us. Sorry I called the second loss in late March rather than mid-March (again, I can't predict when we're gonna get Bained (as in the official, not Bain Capital)). Irregardless, we're playing ball in April. Can we go undefeated?

Well, like I projected, we had two losses in March and the NCAA committee was stacked against us. Sorry I called the second loss in late March rather than mid-March (again, I can't predict when we're gonna get Bained (as in the official, not Bain Capital)). Irregardless, we're playing ball in April. Can we go undefeated?

Wha??? but this is the N.I.T!!!...you watched?

It seems that some people in the thread about whether Iowa can win the B1G have accused me of trolling by being optimistic. Just so everyone sees it, I called two losses last March and of course, we only lost two games in March (at Indiana, like I said, and against MSU in the BTT in the worst officiated game I've ever seen). Normally, I try not to get too optimistic about Hawkeye sports because I've had my heart broken one too many times, but this year's basketball squad is going to be our second best bince that great '86-'87 team and I'm sorry if my optimism is too much for some of you to handle. The conference is way weaker than it was last year and we are way better than we were last year. Do the math.

It seems that some people in the thread about whether Iowa can win the B1G have accused me of trolling by being optimistic. Just so everyone sees it, I called two losses last March and of course, we only lost two games in March (at Indiana, like I said, and against MSU in the BTT in the worst officiated game I've ever seen). Normally, I try not to get too optimistic about Hawkeye sports because I've had my heart broken one too many times, but this year's basketball squad is going to be our second best bince that great '86-'87 team and I'm sorry if my optimism is too much for some of you to handle. The conference is way weaker than it was last year and we are way better than we were last year. Do the math.

OK, so you called it in February. Give yourself a gold star. (What's gold going for today?)

Srs question for srs sports thread: are you as optimistic as the coach about Iowa winning the B1G this year?

I also think this will close to the 86/87 team. Went to the Kingdome to watch the Oklahoma and UNLV games.....

:rolleyes:

OK, so you called it in February. Give yourself a gold star. (What's gold going for today?)

Srs question for srs sports thread: are you as optimistic as the coach about Iowa winning the B1G this year?

I think we have a better than 50% chance. I think we are probably the best TEAM (including depth) in the conference this year. The problem is that the way the Big Ten officiating goes, you have to be at least 10-12 points better than your opponent to get a road win. I don't think we are 10-12 points better than MSU, Indiana or OSU and then you bake in a few bad shooting nights, we might end up getting jobbed out of about 3 road games we should have won. That seems to happen to us about every year, so if we get jobbed out of 3 games and drop maybe 2-3 on the road that would be difficult to win under normal B1G circumstances anyway, that puts us at 12-13 wins, and then I assume we'll get jobbed by the refs at least once or twice at home, which would knock us down to 10-11 wins. If we don't get jobbed on the road, though, we will put up 13-14 wins, which should be enough to put us 1st or 2nd in the conference.

I don't know why people think this is out of the realm of possibility, barring key injuries.

I also think this will close to the 86/87 team. Went to the Kingdome to watch the Oklahoma and UNLV games.....

:rolleyes:

I don't think this team is as good as the '86-'87 team. We had some legit NBA talent on that squad. But the B1G was a lot better that year with Michigan and Illinois both being stacked with talent. Back in those days mid majors didn't really exist and so the B1G was just epic in terms of talent. Now you've got teams like Butler, Wichitall, Gonzaga, etc. that have soaked up a lot of talent and teams like Iowa have really been hammered.

I think we have a better than 50% chance. I think we are probably the best TEAM (including depth) in the conference this year. The problem is that the way the Big Ten officiating goes, you have to be at least 10-12 points better than your opponent to get a road win. I don't think we are 10-12 points better than MSU, Indiana or OSU and then you bake in a few bad shooting nights, we might end up getting jobbed out of about 3 road games we should have won. That seems to happen to us about every year, so if we get jobbed out of 3 games and drop maybe 2-3 on the road that would be difficult to win under normal B1G circumstances anyway, that puts us at 12-13 wins, and then I assume we'll get jobbed by the refs at least once or twice at home, which would knock us down to 10-11 wins. If we don't get jobbed on the road, though, we will put up 13-14 wins, which should be enough to put us 1st or 2nd in the conference.

I don't know why people think this is out of the realm of possibility, barring key injuries.

Congratulations. In one post you've created more "jobs" than private employers have this year in teh current regulatory environment. (JONDMILLER, PLEASE NOTE THIS CONTENT IS ECONOMIC SCIENCE, NOT POLITICS.)

I think the 86-87 team had a better top 6. This team is better 7-11. But I also think 14 wins is highly doable. Hell, we were better than MSU twice last season and lost. IU lost to much to compete, OSU lost their star, same as Michigan. If you look at what each team lost whom and who they have retruning, I think Iowa is the best team in the league. Obviously you still have to go out and win, but I think they will. This is just speculation because there are no BIG game minutes to judge by, but I would say that adding Uthoff and Jok puts 2 players that would be starters for every other team (maybe not OSU or MSU) on the bench for us. That's pretty damn good.

Latest posts