Perception and reality

NCHawker

Its not Iowa's fault or the B1G's fault that the teams were over rated.

Still we Iowa fans usually have an over inflated sense of greatness about our teams. We're so used to watching and cheering for mediocre, that when we see something pretty good, we think its exceptional. We see it in football and here in basketball. Fans of great programs know it when they see it. We don't.

And I was concerned about Iowa's defence when they got to the tournament. Those concerns were confirmed today.

Seeding may not have been spot on - Iowa was maybe more of a 3 seed and Oregon clearly better than a 7, but I expected this team to be competitive in a 2nd round game, win or lose.

Even Vegas thought we should win today, not just delusional Hawk fans.

Well, I guess Lunardi was right ;). My perception is we have 2 kids, Garza and Weiskamp, that know what to do with the ball when it comes to scoring. Then we have a couple of guys that are capable, but need to have defenders at least 10 feet from them so they can shoot, and then we have the guys that dribble too much and/or looking to pass inside to the star of the team. Cmac has no business being on the court imo. Teams beg him to shoot, but he rarely does. JT flies around and I've seen him do some tremendous things, but he's terribly inconsistent. We've seen flashes by Pmac and murray, so I'm optimistic. I feel we needed more TPerk and Uhlis, but the upperclassmen loyalty shown by fmac tells me, "kid, wait in line". There's no tomorrow in this tournament. There's no do-overs. You either bring it or you leave it the car with your keys. Frans probation period is way the F over. But, we're fortunate enough to have him locked in for a few more years of 18-12 records, or an occasional 22-9 record, but nonetheless a record indicative of " being on the bubble". But hey, our kids graduate and will be forever in our hearts. That's the reality I live with and it's also the tragedy we try and reconcile.

Seeding may not have been spot on - Iowa was maybe more of a 3 seed and Oregon clearly better than a 7, but I expected this team to be competitive in a 2nd round game, win or lose.

Even Vegas thought we should win today, not just delusional Hawk fans.

It didnt look like it but wow if JBo and CJ both hit a couple of treys and someone else add a couple of timely buckets then this game is real competitive the whole 2nd half.

But we also have to ask why we maybe didnt get those buckets and I think a lot of it is the opposing teams like Oregon which have active, quick arc defenders really can shut down our shooters.

Face it hard to beat any team hitting 60% in the first half and continuing it in the 2nd half.

We need more quickness and team speed and I hope that is already on the bench.

Its not Iowa's fault or the B1G's fault that the teams were over rated.

Still we Iowa fans usually have an over inflated sense of greatness about our teams. We're so used to watching and cheering for mediocre, that when we see something pretty good, we think its exceptional. We see it in football and here in basketball. Fans of great programs know it when they see it. We don't.

And I was concerned about Iowa's defence when they got to the tournament. Those concerns were confirmed today.
This is the truth.

It didnt look like it but wow if JBo and CJ both hit a couple of treys and someone else add a couple of timely buckets then this game is real competitive the whole 2nd half.

But we also have to ask why we maybe didnt get those buckets and I think a lot of it is the opposing teams like Oregon which have active, quick arc defenders really can shut down our shooters.

Face it hard to beat any team hitting 60% in the first half and continuing it in the 2nd half.

We need more quickness and team speed and I hope that is already on the bench.
Are you on drugs? It’s not on the bench. Some fans are like hopeless romantics. Following is the typical Iowa fans that think Kirk and Fran are great.................

Very first possession, Oregon took Bohannon off the dribble for 2. You are welcome to call bullshit, but I already knew we were in trouble.

Not trying to badmouth Bohannon, but everyone knows he's the poster boy for how challenged we are stopping quick guards off the dribble and, first possession, Ducks go right at him. Not a great harbinger. Ouch.

Disappointed personally, but gutted for the team. This was the year to bring home some hardware, so to speak. No conference title. No conference tourney championship. Round of 32 exit. I can't think of anything profound to say, so I'll just say it again: ouch.

This one is going to sting for a while.

Very first possession, Oregon took Bohannon off the dribble for 2. You are welcome to call bullshit, but I already knew we were in trouble.

Not trying to badmouth Bohannon, but everyone knows he's the poster boy for how challenged we are stopping quick guards off the dribble and, first possession, Ducks go right at him. Not a great harbinger. Ouch.

Disappointed personally, but gutted for the team. This was the year to bring home some hardware, so to speak. No conference title. No conference tourney championship. Round of 32 exit. I can't think of anything profound to say, so I'll just say it again: ouch.

This one is going to sting for a while.

yeah it was a missed opportunity this year... defensively we had made so much improvement... but then in the ncaa tournament we just decided to stop playing D again.

We didn't play D against GVC either.

Kind of feels like Franuary in March. March Madness indeed.

I have been reading some Kirk and Fran comparisons on here and other boards. One thing I will give Kirk though, he has conference titles to his name and a New Years 6 win equivalent (Orange Bowl) and other other nice New Years Day wins (LSU).

Fran has zero top end accomplishments, but has a commendable rebuilding job (actually several) to his name. I still maintain his best coaching job was his first few years here. That was steady progression, but after that sputtered, rebounded, sputtered, stalled, rebounded to perhaps great heights............then Lucy pulled that football away again.

Our perpetual reality.

You know what else Iowa fans do. After a loss they tear all the players down and downplay that this team, which you think sucks, went 14-6 in a good conference. Was the Big Ten overrated...well so is the ACC and the Big 12.

We were in trouble today because Oregon shot the ball well. Once that happens, it extends players that have no business playing these guys tight at the perimeter. It exposed our weakness. Bohannon, Connor, and Frederick have no chance if we have to guard the three point line against that level of athlete.

We got exposed because we have three guys playing that aren't great athletes...the above three...and they couldn't offset it with great playmaking and shooting. You can probably cover for one guy like that defensively...but we have three that are going to struggle with the players Oregon had. The fact that those three contributed 0 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists just exacerbated the situation.

Let me just say this too...Oregon banked a three in, threw up two air balls that their guys caught and put in...that's seven points...and several other kind of crazy plays. If they just shoot their average...it's likely a closer game. They were hot and they took it to us.

Lastly...the Iowa team on the floor next year is going to be much more athletic. Ulis, Perkins, and the Murrays have a much higher athletic ceiling. If we can get Joe T playing well again...he's another athlete. The guy to watch out for is Patrick Mac. He's got a chance to be really good...and watching him run today at 6'9" and beating Oregon players down the court...wow. As he gets stronger...he's going to be really freaking good. Everyone of the players above needs to improve shooting it.

Fran was more effective when he was blowing up and getting in players faces. He's got a reputation for being a volcanic eruption waiting to happen and now he's on pins and needles. Just play sir Fran

You know what else Iowa fans do. After a loss they tear all the players down and downplay that this team, which you think sucks, went 14-6 in a good conference. Was the Big Ten overrated...well so is the ACC and the Big 12.

We were in trouble today because Oregon shot the ball well. Once that happens, it extends players that have no business playing these guys tight at the perimeter. It exposed our weakness. Bohannon, Connor, and Frederick have no chance if we have to guard the three point line against that level of athlete.

We got exposed because we have three guys playing that aren't great athletes...the above three...and they couldn't offset it with great playmaking and shooting. You can probably cover for one guy like that defensively...but we have three that are going to struggle with the players Oregon had. The fact that those three contributed 0 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists just exacerbated the situation.

Let me just say this too...Oregon banked a three in, threw up two air balls that their guys caught and put in...that's seven points...and several other kind of crazy plays. If they just shoot their average...it's likely a closer game. They were hot and they took it to us.

Lastly...the Iowa team on the floor next year is going to be much more athletic. Ulis, Perkins, and the Murrays have a much higher athletic ceiling. If we can get Joe T playing well again...he's another athlete. The guy to watch out for is Patrick Mac. He's got a chance to be really good...and watching him run today at 6'9" and beating Oregon players down the court...wow. As he gets stronger...he's going to be really freaking good. Everyone of the players above needs to improve shooting it.
Not a bad take, but I contend this team make up can't collectively shoot to save their lives. Joe W would help some if he comes back. And, these players are just 1 year older and will still get run off the court by a team like Oregon, Gonzaga, Illinois, (typical MSU) etc again.

Also going to be tough when we have to face teams where the majority of the team decided to come back because of the covid year.

Fran needs to hit the transfer portal and find himself a stud guard or two and probably another big. Start working on this today.

Not a bad take, but I contend this team make up can't collectively shoot to save their lives. Joe W would help some if he comes back. And, these players are just 1 year older and will still get run off the court by a team like Oregon, Gonzaga, Illinois, (typical MSU) etc again.

Also going to be tough when we have to face teams where the majority of the team decided to come back because of the covid year.

Fran needs to hit the transfer portal and find himself a stud guard or two and probably another big. Start working on this today.
How about this guy, 5*, 7'1". https://keepingitheel.com/2021/03/22/unc-basketball-walker-kessler-to-transfer-from-program/

Are you on drugs? It’s not on the bench. Some fans are like hopeless romantics. Following is the typical Iowa fans that think Kirk and Fran are great.................

Where did I mention the bench in my post? Tell me. I mentioned two starters in JBo and CJ who are really good shooters and they scored zero as did CMac who maybe could have driven to get a bucket and made one jumper.

Three starters who didnt score. Now when I made that post I didnt know that CMac and CJ were hurting (maybe Keegan should have started for Cmac and more time for others in CJ's place which is how it turned out).

I will await your answer.

We may have been over seeded but I think a lot of that is due to playing I'm a meat grinder of a conference like the BIG. I think Oregon will go on to win the National Championship.

I feel bad for Luka who really gave everything he had, all year long. I think JBo never recovered back to normal after the surgery. Conner was hurt and will need bilateral hip surgery this summer. CJ seemed like he could barely move. I feel Fran was too loyal to these guys playing them too many min. Instead JT and Perkins should have seen more time all year. My prediction we are going to loose several players to transfer this year.
Weise is gone, JT and Ulis will transfer. Perkins 50/50. Murray will stay. I am 100% sure Patrick is staying :) . Listening to the Ducks coach is revealing. Basically his plan was to let Luka have his game and completely shut down our 3's. He also thought Iowa would be tired after having played a game and his team might be a little rusty. So he told his team they just had to stay with Iowa the first half and then they would be in good shape. People are getting too down on Iowa after this loss. I thing part of the issue is Iowa is more worn down and they ran into a team that couldn't miss

I feel bad for Luka who really gave everything he had, all year long. I think JBo never recovered back to normal after the surgery. Conner was hurt and will need bilateral hip surgery this summer. CJ seemed like he could barely move. I feel Fran was too loyal to these guys playing them too many min. Instead JT and Perkins should have seen more time all year. My prediction we are going to loose several players to transfer this year.
Weise is gone, JT and Ulis will transfer. Perkins 50/50. Murray will stay. I am 100% sure Patrick is staying :) . Listening to the Ducks coach is revealing. Basically his plan was to let Luka have his game and completely shut down our 3's. He also thought Iowa would be tired after having played a game and his team might be a little rusty. So he told his team they just had to stay with Iowa the first half and then they would be in good shape. People are getting too down on Iowa after this loss. I thing part of the issue is Iowa is more worn down and they ran into a team that couldn't miss

Why would all those guys transfer when they would almost certainly sit the bench while they learn a new system. They will be getting significant PT next year. You would be nuts to leave Mac offense which is wide open for another system.

we are slow with a bunch of set shooters that struggle with a hand in their face. Getting Oregon in the 2nd round was the absolute worst draw for Iowa. They are what we are not. And they have a great coach that can game plan, again a complete opposite of what we are.

This team was what it was. Fun to watch, really fun when they were on. But god awful when we faced a team that knew how to guard us.

Hard to replace 50-60 points game. Maybe Fran should use the Hoiberg ISU model instead of the Fran Sienna model