Per Woodbury's interview yesterday, sounds like recruiting is wide open (top 5)

I do not think that you can read anything from the interview. We are in his top five, he has not made a final decision and some of the schools have not even made an offer to date. I hope he becomes a Hawk, but will not lose any sleep over it if we do not.

I believe that Fran can and will find someone who will contribute at a high level for the Hawks. Adam Woodbury is not a make or break player, although it would be nice to get a highly regarded kid from in-state to go to Iowa.

That's why I think he should direct his recruiting energies elsewhere and let Woodbury think about what he wants to do.

I didn't notice anything in the interview that would lead me to believe that Iowa is out of the running whatsoever. He even went to far as to mention that 'they have been recruited me the longest" or 'recruiting me from the beginning' when he mentioned Iowa and Minnesota.

One thing about Fran is that he plays it close to the vest, not wanting to give other programs a hint of who he is after, inviting a feeding frenzy. Another aspect of his recruiting expertise is the ability to see the proverbial diamond in the rough, seeing the potential that eludes others. I am certain that there are many prospects in mind,

I have a feeling that this will be a very good year. If it is, we will be much more attractive to quality recruits who will want to play FranBall.

:)

I don't see what all the fuss is about…Iowa landed a legit 6'10 high-major recruit in 2011 with Gabe Olaseni, and landed a legit 6'10 high-major recruit in 2012 with Kyle Meyer.

If Woodbury doesn't come around, he doesn't come around, but I don't think there is any need to panic if he doesn't.

The most important addition right now IMO is Mike Gesell, and I've heard the Hawkeyes are at the top of his list which is very exciting.

Now, if Gesell commits it might help to convince Woodbury to join the Hawkeyes, but I'd watch out for North Carolina and Kansas. They currently have bigger targets in their sights, but if they miss it could benefit Woodbury in the way of a scholarship offer.

I highly doubt UNC or Kansas offers. I could be wrong, but i think it will come down to Iowa and OSU with Iowa winning out.

Gotta love how today's kid is more than willing to be somebody else's 4th, 5th or even 6th choice. Back in my day we took such treatment as a show of disrespect. It's looking like we Gen Xers have failed in our parenting.

That being said, let me say what everyone else knows or is still in denial about...Fran has showed absolutely no ability to close on high level recruits. Best case scenario at this point is Fran taking this program to the middle of the pack in the Big 10. Coaching and development can only get a program so far. Fran simply can't recruit at a high enough level to take the program anywhere near the top of the Big 10. It's past time for Fran to make some adjustments to his staff. If the 2012 class falls short, it will be time for Barta to step in and make sure it happens.

Gotta love how today's kid is more than willing to be somebody else's 4th, 5th or even 6th choice. Back in my day we took such treatment as a show of disrespect. It's looking like we Gen Xers have failed in our parenting.

That being said, let me say what everyone else knows or is still in denial about...Fran has showed absolutely no ability to close on high level recruits. Best case scenario at this point is Fran taking this program to the middle of the pack in the Big 10. Coaching and development can only get a program so far. Fran simply can't recruit at a high enough level to take the program anywhere near the top of the Big 10. It's past time for Fran to make some adjustments to his staff. If the 2012 class falls short, it will be time for Barta to step in and make sure it happens.

I agree with everything in this paragraph...he's had plenty of time...F it, let's just get rid of him and his no-recruitin' staff that hasn't done anything to up the talent level of a program that was steered directly into the iceberg by Captain Lickliter...:rolleyes:

Agreed...didn't this type of thread also appear just before Olaseni committed to Iowa?

Yep. People think if you go into panic mode early in the process, it will hurt less if they are disappointed at the end. This never works out the way they think unfortunately.

I'm not guaranteeing a commitment from Adam or anything. But I feel good about our chances. :)

Yep. People think if you go into panic mode early in the process, it will hurt less if they are disappointed at the end. This never works out the way they think unfortunately.

I'm not guaranteeing a commitment from Adam or anything. But I feel good about our chances. :)

I feel good about it too...and you're right, people always want to buffer the impact before the crash happens...and it usually doesn't work.

What are you smoking? I somewhat agree with the first paragraph but you are way off base on the last imo.

Sounded to me like he was trying to act like the "big sexy" schools were hot on his trail. Goes back to the thinking that Iowa has to get back to the point of being a sexy school. Still think he and Gessell are hawkeyes.

Realize that my post might have made it sound like Iowa was not going to get Woodbury. I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I do, however, believe he is a make it or break it recruit. Just too much effort and time put into his recruitment. This staff has been on him the longest, he is in-state, and a fan. Not getting him would be a huge indicator that the staff can't close.

Seriously, no flagship state university will be able to win losing their top in-state talent, especially a state like Iowa.

Realize that my post might have made it sound like Iowa was not going to get Woodbury. I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I do, however, believe he is a make it or break it recruit. Just too much effort and time put into his recruitment. This staff has been on him the longest, he is in-state, and a fan. Not getting him would be a huge indicator that the staff can't close.

Seriously, no flagship state university will be able to win losing their top in-state talent, especially a state like Iowa.

I don't think you know what you're talking about! Someone like Paige would have been a far bigger get than this guy. He may just turn out to be a stiff. Let's wait and see if Kansas and N.C. even offer before we start jumping out of windows. I'd much rather have a real athletic 6"8" guy.

Respectfully disagree, ISU's sweet 16 and final 8 teams had maybe 1 in state player.
Several of Iowa's greatest teams consisted primarily of out of state players.

Iowa's best player last year was a freshmen from New York, aside from Barnes, who, from the in state prospect pool, would you have taken over Basabe?

Last edited:
Disagree, ISU's sweet 16 and final 8 teams had maybe 1 in state player.

Iowa's greatest teams consisted primarily of out of state players.

What...a voice of reason in here? Someone not drinking the "we must get every Iowa kid that can dribble and chew gum". I forgot that Gamble, BJ, Marble, Horton, etc. all played their high school ball at Solon, Alburnett, Mid Prairie and North Scott.

Apparently history, even recent history like last season, has already been forgotten. The team would have been absolutely brutal without Cartwright and Basabe, period. Do you see Self and Williams loading up on KS and NC kids just because they are in state kids? I guess our fan base is not as savvy as I thought.

I'll be the first to say you can't teach a kid to be 7 feet tall, and I'm sure Woodbury's a nice player. BUT, has anyone watched this kid in person? I'm not an analyst, but I have watched him at the state tournament. Did seem to be a team player, but was not overly impressed with his skill set; game I saw against Ankeny they constantly took the ball away from him and out-quicked him for loose balls. Again, can't teach anyone to be 7 foot that ain't, but in my opinion not a huge loss if he goes elsewhere.

Respectfully disagree, ISU's sweet 16 and final 8 teams had maybe 1 in state player.
Several of Iowa's greatest teams consisted primarily of out of state players.

Iowa's best player last year was a freshmen from New York, aside from Barnes, who, from the in state prospect pool, would you have taken over Basabe?

McDermott would've been able to make some good contributions, but I wouldn't take him over Basabe.

Latest posts