Per ESPN: A&M to SEC

I truly hope that the B1G does not expand again. 12 teams is the right size are far as I am concerned. Even if we did pull ND, I cannot think of 3 other teams (that would legitimately come with them) that would actually make the conference stronger.

Adding Tx A&M to the SEC makes sense for both sides (SEC gets a big school in Texas, A&M makes much more money and gets out from under Texas shadow). In the case with the SEC, they have several potential schools that they can add to make the conference better.

For the B1G, though, are any of you really excited by the possibility of adding Mizzu? or Maryland? Rutgers? Pitt? Those are good schools and all, but...

This. A 16-team Big Ten will suck, especially if it includes most of the teams mentioned in this thread. Ugh.

The potential move by A&M is not something that should lead to the B1G expanding. For now 12 teams is quite enough. There are only one or two teams that make absolute sense for B1G expansion; Notre Dame and a school that would add academic strength, be competitive in the conference, and allow for a better geographic arrangement of divisions.

The B1G doesn't invite or ask colleges to be a member, it takes applications from those who would like to become a member. At minimum 12 colleges indicated an interest in becoming a member of the B1G before Nebraska was voted upon to become a member. Membership in the B1G will not have any shortage of candidates that would like to become a member should it decide to expand.

The BCS is a mitigating factor in all of this madness. Colleges are clamoring to be a member of or remaining in an Automatic Qualifier Conference. Four BCS conferences of 16 teams is not good for college football. Sure it might marginalize a Baylor or ISU at the start, but it will soon marginalize some of the 64 as well. Eventually it will get down to the same 8 to 10 teams dominating all the rest. This will destroy college football.

Florida State gains nothing by going to the SEC, and it would actually make it harder for them to get to a BCS game in the SEC vs ACC.

Oklahoma is not going anywhere without Oklahoma State - the state legislature will step in and make sure of that, plus T. Boone Pickens can just buy Ok. States way into a conference.

Anyone who thinks Texas would be a great addition to the B1G is crazy. Do you really want the school that destroyed two conferences?

LMAO!!!! You posted that article 1 minute after he wanted to see something saying USC didn't want Clemson in the SEC. I wonder why mister know it all didn't respond, he had to see it? Maybe because his "sources" or "what he has been hearing" is all BS.

Like usual multipledundee has no idea what he's talking about. He's an ill-informed SEC lover loser who should just stop posting here.

To be honest I'm not sure the A&M to the SEC happens. There are still a lot of question marks. From how the TX legistlature responds to will the SEC even vote to extend an invitation. Even if the SEC wants them finding a traveling partner or 3 may be difficult.

Florida State gains nothing by going to the SEC, and it would actually make it harder for them to get to a BCS game in the SEC vs ACC.

Oklahoma is not going anywhere without Oklahoma State - the state legislature will step in and make sure of that, plus T. Boone Pickens can just buy Ok. States way into a conference.

Anyone who thinks Texas would be a great addition to the B1G is crazy. Do you really want the school that destroyed two conferences?

Are Oklahoma and Oklahoma State REALLY A Package Deal? - Crimson And Cream Machine

All of this is being refuted already by Missouri and other schools saying they have not been in contact with SEC. Big 12 saying it's happy with 9 for now but open to expansion

How can you tell when an AD is lying? His lips move.

Stay tuned.

With A&M moving on, the B12 just gets more insignificant. Texas could end up in a similar situation Boise State was in. Outside of the conference, who cared if Boise won their conference? They were a big fish in a little pond. They played very few competitive games during the regular season. Texas could end up in the same situation. Oklahoma has moments but its going to be the Texas league.

...and in other sporting news Texas won their conference. The B12 could end up being a footnote on sports shows.

Missouri leaving makes sense as their partnership with Texas in the B12 is hardly equal. Texas gets the lions share of revenue with their Texas Network. In another league, Missouri, Texas A&M would be (or work towards being) even partners. Same with Oklahoma, Oklahoma state etc.

NC and Duke are connected at the groin.

IMO Missouri is an obvious pick for the Big 10.

If the Big10 expands to 16 I would like to see Missouri, Pitt, Maryland, and Virginia.

Screw ND but if ND had to join I would say Missouri (natural fit), Pitt, ND, and Maryland or Virginia.

Presidents from SC and Florida will NEVER vote to allow Clemson and FSU to join the SEC. Just like Iowa would never vote yes to allow the clowns into the Big 10. I also don't think Penn St would vote yes to allow Pitt into the Big 10. Penn St has not played Pitt for many years.

Everyone says that Texas can be an independent but can they really? They HAVE to be associated with some conference to schedule their lesser sports, kind of like nd had to do with the Big East. What conference would Texas join? If they go independent, the Big 12 definitely folds. What conference can they join for BB, women's sports, their baseball program?

Why would you want to add sub-par teams to the conference just so Iowa can get a win. That's like saying let's play Tennessee Tech over and over so we can feel good about ourselves and get a win, then when we play a real team we get smoked cause we haven't played anyone. I'd rather play good teams. Adding Maryland and UVA would just add two more teams to the conference like NW and Purdue. I'll take ND, OU, or Okie St all day long. Academics and other sports aside, I'm referring to FB here.

Not sure how you extracted from my post that Iowa should play Tennessee Tech over and over to feel good. I'd like to hear how adding ND, OU, or Okie St over Maryland and UVA helps Iowa. It's a common mistake for people to assume the role of commissioner and seek what's best for the conference, instead of assuming the role of fan and seeking what's best for your favorite team. And since you're all about having a strong football conference and finishing 6-6 every year, perhaps Iowa could break off and form a super conference with USC, Oregon, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State.

With A&M moving on, the B12 just gets more insignificant. Texas could end up in a similar situation Boise State was in. Outside of the conference, who cared if Boise won their conference? They were a big fish in a little pond. They played very few competitive games during the regular season. Texas could end up in the same situation. Oklahoma has moments but its going to be the Texas league.

...and in other sporting news Texas won their conference. The B12 could end up being a footnote on sports shows.

Missouri leaving makes sense as their partnership with Texas in the B12 is hardly equal. Texas gets the lions share of revenue with their Texas Network. In another league, Missouri, Texas A&M would be (or work towards being) even partners. Same with Oklahoma, Oklahoma state etc.

Well since OU/UT have won 10 of 15 conference titles, couldn't we assume the league is already without parity? And you're right about Oklahoma having its moments, having won the conference title 7 times to UT's 3. I just fail to see where you're going with this post.

To be honest I'm not sure the A&M to the SEC happens. There are still a lot of question marks. From how the TX legistlature responds to will the SEC even vote to extend an invitation. Even if the SEC wants them finding a traveling partner or 3 may be difficult.

Agree. It requires an unanimous vote by the SEC schools and there are 3-4 schools that either question adding A&M or are outright opposed to it.

It won't happen.

NC and Duke are connected at the groin.

If the Big10 expands to 16 I would like to see Missouri, Pitt, Maryland, and Virginia.

I've asked this a lot and don't think I've ever really received a rational response. What does Pitt bring to the table? Nothing IMO, we already own the PA market with Penn State. Pitt brings nothing to the table for the Big Ten.

LMAO!!!! You posted that article 1 minute after he wanted to see something saying USC didn't want Clemson in the SEC. I wonder why mister know it all didn't respond, he had to see it? Maybe because his "sources" or "what he has been hearing" is all BS.

Thanks for noticing this. I've been waiting on a response from him or his "sources"...

Or maybe that was the last post I made that day I went outside to enjoy my Saturday? The sources I have heard have been newspapers and radio down here, and while I don't claim they have any additional credibility, they make salient points.

Back to the substance of the article however, he posted a sports blog with no sources, alleging an alliance between UGA, UF, and USC to refuse in-state schools to join the SEC. You can take that for what it's worth, and that's fine, but I don't put much weight in it.

There is no secret alliance. The SEC does not want Georgia Tech because GT doesn't have any fans, not because Georgia doesn't want them. The SEC has been refusing FSU into the conference for 50 years, so that has nothing to do with what the president or AD of Florida want.

Clemson is, revenue wise, the most valuable football program in the ACC. More valuable than FSU or VT. They are the only team in the ACC that has an SEC type stadium (seats 77k) and they easily lead the conference in attendance.

In addition to all of this, Clemson would also add to the SEC's academic profile.

Dundie-

Haven't read this entire thread to know - but what is your feeling of how the SEC prez's respond to the AnM stuff? Allow or not? If they do, do they push to 16? What are hearing down there?

Latest posts