Per ESPN: A&M to SEC

I think the MW would be a great conference for ISU. But don't discount the CUSA or MAC, those are strong conferences too, with great histories and rich traditions.

That would give you a raging hard-on wouldn't it? Don't you find it at least a little sad that you find an in-state school's possible demise funny?

Last edited:
I don't see the Big 10 expanding. Why should they? The conference is fine as it is....even if other conferences go to 14-16 teams.

The ONLY way the Big 10 expands is if Notre Dame asks to join......and that won't happen. They'll hold on to independence until the bitter end.

Am I the only one that thinks all of this is a bad thing for CFB? 12 team conf. Is a perfect number, why go to 16? This is just sick cuz all of this is only about money and the only schools that I see benefitting from this is the bigger more prestigious schools.
What's the point of having 16? Basically having two 8 team conferences within a conference, for the right to play for a BCS game, and you'd only play the teams in your division, hardly ever seeing teams from the other. How are the big boys that run these conferences not seeing that logic. Because they'd blinded by the dollar signs and it sickens me.
I'm concerned now as a hawk fan because lately we have been getting closer and closer from becoming a championship team, and if the B1G goes to sixteen, we may move farther away from our dream. You have all these big name schools in one conference, they're just ganna beat each other and leave a lot of good teams out of good bowls. And recruiting for Iowa will suffer because of this. Iowa will not be a top 15 or 20 team anymore if B1G goes B16, bad idea for all of this to be happening. No good will come out of it except for TV ratings and big buck$ for the big boy$.

The root of expansion stemmed from state governments continued cuts to funding of public institutions.
Universities had two ways to make that money up...
1) raise tuition. They have raised it to the point that any additional hikes will likely cause lowered enrollments.
2) athletics.

So blame your congressmen.

All of this is being refuted already by Missouri and other schools saying they have not been in contact with SEC. Big 12 saying it's happy with 9 for now but open to expansion

Am I the only one that thinks all of this is a bad thing for CFB? 12 team conf. Is a perfect number, why go to 16? This is just sick cuz all of this is only about money and the only schools that I see benefitting from this is the bigger more prestigious schools.
What's the point of having 16? Basically having two 8 team conferences within a conference, for the right to play for a BCS game, and you'd only play the teams in your division, hardly ever seeing teams from the other. How are the big boys that run these conferences not seeing that logic. Because they'd blinded by the dollar signs and it sickens me.
I'm concerned now as a hawk fan because lately we have been getting closer and closer from becoming a championship team, and if the B1G goes to sixteen, we may move farther away from our dream. You have all these big name schools in one conference, they're just ganna beat each other and leave a lot of good teams out of good bowls. And recruiting for Iowa will suffer because of this. Iowa will not be a top 15 or 20 team anymore if B1G goes B16, bad idea for all of this to be happening. No good will come out of it except for TV ratings and big buck$ for the big boy$.

Like you,I am a traditionalist. I was fine with Nebraska joining,because they were a natural fit,and it made sense to go to 12.
If this leap to 16 occurs, it really damages the very element that makes college sports special,and not just a semi-pro minor leagues for the NFL and NBA. Tradition is everything in college sports. College sports has tons more tradition than the jonny come lately pro leagues,outside of MLB.
When Iowa no longer even plays Wisconsin or Illinois,outside of a rare title game matchup,the Big Ten is over. You have younger fans who seem to want to destroy the conference traditions,because it then becomes more like the NFL...I think they will be surprised when they discover that old alums do really help pay the freight,and when you turn them off, it will hurt the sport. Playoffs seem to be the only reason for some folks like Caar to even want to follow the sport,not realizing that if they occur,that will become the case for too many fans,and the regular season will shrink,like college bb season has. Folks wonder why regular season attendance is down for colleg bb....everywhere...and the reason is simple..the NCAA tourny is all that college bb is for many fans...the rest is superfulous.

I do not want the Big Ten to feel like they are forced to expand again just because the SEC goes that route. I think the SEC might just find that they will hurt their product also if they start adding far-flung schools that do not fit their culture,like A & M.

Stay at 12,Big Ten...we are special..keep it that way. We still have the power to flourish with 12. If ND wants in,fine,then go to 14 max,but only if ND is one of the two.

There could be four 16 team superconferences. Like I said before, if you can fill a 40,000 seat stadium and have strong boosters, you should be in superconference. If you can't, you really don't belong, because you can't afford to compete.

Right now there are 68 teams in major conferences. There will be 64 slots open in superconferences. So, 4 teams could end up being pushed down to more appropriate levels for their financial support.

It would be hard to add 8 teams, which would be the number needed to go to 18 team conferences, which would absolutly pick up any FBS worthy schools. But it might be worth it in the long run to avoid having to deal with the fallout from the Boise's and such, even though we now know Boise did it by cheating.

Here is North Carolina the talk is NC State to the SEC, not the Tarheels. The Tarheels will not leave Duke. But if NC State ends up leaving the ACC then I could see UNC and Duke trying to get into the Big Ten.

There could be four 16 team superconferences. Like I said before, if you can fill a 40,000 seat stadium and have strong boosters, you should be in superconference. If you can't, you really don't belong, because you can't afford to compete.

Right now there are 68 teams in major conferences. There will be 64 slots open in superconferences. So, 4 teams could end up being pushed down to more appropriate levels for their financial support.

It would be hard to add 8 teams, which would be the number needed to go to 18 team conferences, which would absolutly pick up any FBS worthy schools. But it might be worth it in the long run to avoid having to deal with the fallout from the Boise's and such, even though we now know Boise did it by cheating.

How was Boise St. cheating? Just by having lower academic standards?

Here is North Carolina the talk is NC State to the SEC, not the Tarheels. The Tarheels will not leave Duke. But if NC State ends up leaving the ACC then I could see UNC and Duke trying to get into the Big Ten.

UNC-Duke coming to the B10 would be great. Then grab either Notre Dame and Maryland or Syracuse and Uconn. Pick up huge nationwide fan bases and become the strongest basketball conference in the country too.

That would give you a raging hard-on wouldn't it? Don't you find it at least a little sad that you find an in-state school's possible demise funny?

please. the clowns can't get any lower. begging their fanbase to get off the couch to support them? can't make this stuff up.

Demise? like charging nebraska or iowa for a season ticket to get into their game?

Demise? like the crumbling concrete on exhibit all over your athletic venues?

Demise? like running thru an inflatable tunnel with fire extinguishers for the smoke effect?

Honestly, going to one of those conferences would be a blessing in disguise for your program. I'd be happy for you.

The Big 12 is toast. Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, TT and Texas will go to the Pac 12. With the way Larry Scott wants to set up the PAC 12 Network and have 2 schools share a "regional" package this would allow Texas to keep the LHN as their "regional" package. TT might not enjoy sharing the LHN with Texas, but at least they would have a stable home.

please. the clowns can't get any lower. begging their fanbase to get off the couch to support them? can't make this stuff up.

Demise? like charging nebraska or iowa for a season ticket to get into their game?

Demise? like the crumbling concrete on exhibit all over your athletic venues?

Demise? like running thru an inflatable tunnel with fire extinguishers for the smoke effect?

Honestly, going to one of those conferences would be a blessing in disguise for your program. I'd be happy for you.

1) Many, many schools do that.
2) I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Kinda funny that a Hawk fan is more in the know than a Cyclone fan.
3) I think we've all agreed that it is corney and would like for it to go away.

All of this is being refuted already by Missouri and other schools saying they have not been in contact with SEC. Big 12 saying it's happy with 9 for now but open to expansion

Just like A&M wasn't in contact with the SEC a couple of weeks ago. Just like Nebraska and Colorado weren't in contact with the Big Ten and PAC 10 a year ago.

Seriously what are they suppose to say? We hate the Big 12 and we are actively pursing other opportunities with other conferences.

If mizzu, Clemson, and Florida St. Join SEC, I don't see those four ever being competitive in football and basketball. The SEC is a strong conference with some of the vest athletes in the country. aTm and mizzu will have a tough time winning a conference game. Florida St. Will prolly be mediocre and Clemson will struggle as well. Power in the SEC will not change, they'll still have bama, auburn, Florida, and maybe Arkansas winning it every year. The new 4 will never sniff the SEC title. Maybe Florida ST.

West to P12 with their regional style tv set up makes sense. OU, Texas, Okie State and BYU?

This is the sort of thing that will force Notre Dame to pick up the phone and call Delany.

ND, Rutgers, Pitt an Cuse? Maryland also big research school.

I can see ND, but I really hope Maryland, Cuse and Pitt don't come our way. They seem like another Purdue or NW type.. They aren't a Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, OSU type national exposure on the FB side. I'm basing that comment purely off the FB side, with no consideration on the academics/other interests/markets they bring so I'm being biased a bit.. Just an opinion though

I wouldn't lump Free Shoes U, with Clemson and Missou. That program was hurt by Bobby staying too long, but hey so has PSU with JoePa pulling the ol' Al Davis.

Missou will not be able to compete. But it will set up a nice western block with TA&M, LSU (which it seems you forgot) and Arkansas.

Latest posts