Per ESPN: A&M to SEC

B1G fans remind me of the industry in the B1G footprint. Seriously, people change isn't always bad.

Change isn't always good either. Besides we just did change. We added a 12th team and a conference championship game. I think everyone is ecstatic with that. Going to 16 team conferences cheapens the game. You basically will have 8 conferences, but pretend it's just 4. With a 16 team conference you will rarely play the teams in the other division unless you increase the # of conference games, and likely overall games to 13 or 14, which I doubt will happen. It would ruin the game and it's truly unnecessary. The sport is thriving the way it is so why we would drastically change things is beyond me. Based on the way most presidents, AD's and commissioners are talking there are absolutely no plans to scrap the current bowl system. So even if 4 super conferences becomes a reality there is no guarantee it will change anything in regards to the post season.

This isn't about just making the conference better in football, this us all driven by $$$. Specifically research dollars and expanding the BTN into large markets.

If the SEC gets programs like TAMU, FSU, and Clemson, and the Big 10 answers back with Pitt, Syracuse, and Maryland, there is a clear winner and a clear loser there. You will never have to worry about arguments on the Best FB conference again.

If the Big 10 is going to be a serious football conference in the future, then go after ND, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, and maybe Mizzou or one of the Big East scrubs.

There is no chance that FSU or Clemson goes to the SEC. Remember, the university presidents have to vote on this and Florida and South Carolina will NEVER allow this. Why would they allow another university in-state to join the all-powerful SEC and pull eyeballs from their program? Also, commissioner Slive won't pull the trigger if he is going to **** off a group of presidents/ADs.

It will be Missouri, Virginia Tech, or one of the North Carolina schools. Mark it down.

Last edited:
The talk on ESPN is that they will immediately go to 16 teams by trying to add:

Texas A&M
Florida State
Missouri
Clemson

If I am the SEC, I go after A&M (in the bag), then put the full court press on Oklahoma to join forces (in fear of what's left in the Big XII), then head east with North Carolina and VA Tech. I think Florida will sabotage any efforts to get FSU on board, plus the Seminoles don't bring any new market that Florida does not already bring to the table. UNC and VA Tech on the other hand bring Charlotte, NC, Washington, DC and maybe even Baltimore/Philly into the SEC footprint. Texas A&M and Oklahoma fill out the SEC West 8 and UNC and VA Tech fill out the SEC East for a mega 16 super-conference. I don't see any dillution from that approach. The key would be establishing a sense of urgency from Oklahoma to jump ship, VA Tech would jump in a heartbeat for SEC and the lynchpin is then UNC- a basketball school that is pretty loyal to ACC but could not afford not to take up the offer to play with the SEC big boys...I don't see what Clemson or FSU bring to the SEC- great football schools that would fit in well, but they would simply dillute the $ kitty with no new TV markets (already covered by UF and S Carolina).

Then I would hope the Big Ten would counter with Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City, MO markets), Maryland (Baltimore and DC markets) and Virginia (DC market too). It allows the Big Ten to head south and east into good markets and would not dillute things. I just don't see Rutgers/Pitt/Syracuse as good partners, they bring very little, but the other 3 markets bring a lot of new TV revenue....

...then the Big Ten goes to Notre Dame with a great offer, which their NBC TV deal could not match. Missouri, ND, Maryland and Virginia fill out a great 16 mega conference. Big Ten West includes Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Illinois, Missouri, Northwestern.

Big Ten East includes Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue,
Maryland and Virginia. Swap over ND/NW for Indy/Purdue if they ***** about losing their rivalry games with Michigan/MSU.

What's the downside of the scenario? I could very well see that playing itself out, no down-side and it leaves the Big XII and Texas in the rubble!

If I am the SEC, I go after A&M (in the bag), then put the full court press on Oklahoma to join forces (in fear of what's left in the Big XII), then head east with North Carolina and VA Tech. I think Florida will sabotage any efforts to get FSU on board, plus the Seminoles don't bring any new market that Florida does not already bring to the table. UNC and VA Tech on the other hand bring Charlotte, NC, Washington, DC and maybe even Baltimore/Philly into the SEC footprint. Texas A&M and Oklahoma fill out the SEC West 8 and UNC and VA Tech fill out the SEC East for a mega 16 super-conference. I don't see any dillution from that approach. The key would be establishing a sense of urgency from Oklahoma to jump ship, VA Tech would jump in a heartbeat for SEC and the lynchpin is then UNC- a basketball school that is pretty loyal to ACC but could not afford not to take up the offer to play with the SEC big boys...I don't see what Clemson or FSU bring to the SEC- great football schools that would fit in well, but they would simply dillute the $ kitty with no new TV markets (already covered by UF and S Carolina).

Then I would hope the Big Ten would counter with Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City, MO markets), Maryland (Baltimore and DC markets) and Virginia (DC market too). It allows the Big Ten to head south and east into good markets and would not dillute things. I just don't see Rutgers/Pitt/Syracuse as good partners, they bring very little, but the other 3 markets bring a lot of new TV revenue....

...then the Big Ten goes to Notre Dame with a great offer, which their NBC TV deal could not match. Missouri, ND, Maryland and Virginia fill out a great 16 mega conference. Big Ten West includes Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Illinois, Missouri, Northwestern.

Big Ten East includes Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue,
Maryland and Virginia. Swap over ND/NW for Indy/Purdue if they ***** about losing their rivalry games with Michigan/MSU.

What's the downside of the scenario? I could very well see that playing itself out, no down-side and it leaves the Big XII and Texas in the rubble!

Not gonna happen. Why does the SEC need Oklahoma? They don't. It's a small market that would likely require them to take Okie State as well. That's too much for a state that only has 3.8 million people. If anything, they'll go the PAC 12 or whatever it becomes. The SEC will go into a bigger market for a school that won't threaten the football powers-that-be in the existing conference.

There is no chance that FSU or Clemson goes to the SEC. Remember, the university presidents have to vote on this and Florida and South Carolina will NEVER allow this. Why would they allow another university in-state to join the all-powerful SEC and pull eyeballs from their program? Also, commissioner Slive won't pull the trigger if he is going to **** off a group of presidents/ADs.

It will be Missouri, Virginia Tech, or one of the North Carolina schools. Mark it down.

Everything I have heard indicates that SC would love for Clemson to join the SEC. I know Florida doesn't want Jorts U. in the SEC however, and they are pretty chill on allowing Miami as well. I am sure UF could be bought off, I mean, convinced that FSU and the U would be best for the conference however.

The schools I am hearing down here are they want Clemson, VT, and FSU in addition to TAMU, while Lousiville is the proverbial "Safety School".

If the Big 10 was smart, they would go after VT before the SEC does.

Not gonna happen. Why does the SEC need Oklahoma? They don't. It's a small market that would likely require them to take Okie State as well. That's too much for a state that only has 3.8 million people. If anything, they'll go the PAC 12 or whatever it becomes. The SEC will go into a bigger market for a school that won't threaten the football powers-that-be in the existing conference.

If the SEC gets a school like OU, they benefit not only by OU's national fan base, but also there will come a point where SEC football is the only thing worth watching.

West to P12 with their regional style tv set up makes sense. OU, Texas, Okie State and BYU?

This is the sort of thing that will force Notre Dame to pick up the phone and call Delany.

ND, Rutgers, Pitt an Cuse? Maryland also big research school.

That's the only way it's going to happen, considering the Irish have turned Delany down twice during his tenure.

Rutgers and Syracuse make a lot of sense.

Rutgers and Syracuse may bring more population but it would really suck from a competitive standpoint. No thanks

If the SEC gets a school like OU, they benefit not only by OU's national fan base, but also there will come a point where SEC football is the only thing worth watching.

Concerning OU, yes, you get the national fan base, but that is diminished if you go into a market like Charlotte or Virginia/DC. The SEC is looking at a huge fan base, but it won't be OU.

Concerning Clemson/FSU, it won't happen. It just won't. I know what ESPN and Gottlieb are saying and it's wrong. Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina are bonded together in that they won't allow other schools from those states in. Remember, these schools have the right of refusal. Slive isn't going to go against that. If anything, these are the schools floating the Clemson/FSU rumors to scare schools into voting to keep A&M out so no further expansion would take place.

Everything I have heard indicates that SC would love for Clemson to join the SEC. I know Florida doesn't want Jorts U. in the SEC however, and they are pretty chill on allowing Miami as well. I am sure UF could be bought off, I mean, convinced that FSU and the U would be best for the conference however.

The schools I am hearing down here are they want Clemson, VT, and FSU in addition to TAMU, while Lousiville is the proverbial "Safety School".

Dude, I don't know who you're hearing that from, but I guarantee it isn't SC. How does that make any sense at all?

You took the words right out of my mouth, I would also include Missouri in this.

Dude, I don't know who you're hearing that from, but I guarantee it isn't SC. How does that make any sense at all?

If you can post something saying USC doesn't want Clemson in the SEC, I'd love to read it.

However, to a larger point I am trying to make, if the Big 10 doesn't stop being picky and start being aggressive, they are going to become the ABA, because if The SEC and Pac-whatever gobble up all of the good teams and you go after middle tier ACC and Big East teams, there will be two power conferences, and the Big 10 and ACC will become AAA.

If you can post something saying USC doesn't want Clemson in the SEC, I'd love to read it.

However, to a larger point I am trying to make, if the Big 10 doesn't stop being picky and start being aggressive, they are going to become the ABA, because if The SEC and Pac-whatever gobble up all of the good teams and you go after middle tier ACC and Big East teams, there will be two power conferences, and the Big 10 and ACC will become AAA.

Here you go:

FSU and Clemson Have No Shot at the SEC : Outkick The Coverage

SEC does not need anyone, but they would be interested in OU and OU would be crazy not to seriously consider in light of what they'd be left with in the remnants of the Big XII. OU has a significant, national presence, including all the markets of Texas (DFW, Houston, etc.), Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri.

They'd go after OU before FSU and/or Clemson. FSU and Clemson bring nothing to the table for the SEC. And they'll go after NC, VA Tech, others before them too.

Change is not always good either. Do you think the change in traditional rust belt industry has been good for the country? The virtual elimination of the middle class and the ever expanding gap between the haves and have-nots in this country. I suppose you will argue that the Big Ten needs to expand,grab the top properties in the country,to maintain their position among the haves,but I would argue back that a complete free-market approach to college sports could kill the golden goose also. In the end,just make it nothing but a pro minor league type of sport,with players paid,no class required,and render university sports as nothing more than the euro-style intramural variety with club sports unaffiliated with any school being the percursor for young people before they turn pro at 16.

I admit there is some hypocrisy to my position,in that college sports is big business as it stands right now,but there is a tipping point,where the mission of the school gets completely lost,and the student athlete concept is corrupted to such a point that it absolutely no longer makes any sense. When Iowa no longer even plays Wisconsin or Illinois at all,and their new rival is designated to be Maryland, the old root,root,root for the alma mater will lose something. Call me sentimental,or just not a cutthroat business sharpie,but I value Iowa sports for more than the TV sets in their conference.

The only meaningful post in a thread of six pages. Some people are traditionalists and some people just need change and more change because its "exciting." The NCAA will turn into the NFL-lite with four superconferences, having 9-3 teams making the championship game. It's hard to pick a place to start with all of this menutia being spewed all over but I'll try to begin. VT already said they'd decline an SEC offer, so please stop bringing them up as a possible add-on to the conference. Texas will go independent before they go to the Pac 12, and nobody can state a valid reason as to otherwise. If the B10 were to expand, Maryland and UVA would be great choices b/c they're football teams suck. Why would it benefit Iowa to add teams like OU and Okie ST? Who cares if the B10 turns into the AAA and SEC is pro? The point is for Iowa to be good, not the conference. And atleast we have our protected crossover with Purdue and a new rivalry with Nebraska instead of our traditional rival in Wisconsin. Rivalries will eventually become a thing of the past with expansion, not that the change-mongerers will care.

The only meaningful post in a thread of six pages. Some people are traditionalists and some people just need change and more change because its "exciting." The NCAA will turn into the NFL-lite with four superconferences, having 9-3 teams making the championship game. It's hard to pick a place to start with all of this menutia being spewed all over but I'll try to begin. VT already said they'd decline an SEC offer, so please stop bringing them up as a possible add-on to the conference. Texas will go independent before they go to the Pac 12, and nobody can state a valid reason as to otherwise. If the B10 were to expand, Maryland and UVA would be great choices b/c they're football teams suck. Why would it benefit Iowa to add teams like OU and Okie ST? Who cares if the B10 turns into the AAA and SEC is pro? The point is for Iowa to be good, not the conference. And atleast we have our protected crossover with Purdue and a new rivalry with Nebraska instead of our traditional rival in Wisconsin. Rivalries will eventually become a thing of the past with expansion, not that the change-mongerers will care.

Why would you want to add sub-par teams to the conference just so Iowa can get a win. That's like saying let's play Tennessee Tech over and over so we can feel good about ourselves and get a win, then when we play a real team we get smoked cause we haven't played anyone. I'd rather play good teams. Adding Maryland and UVA would just add two more teams to the conference like NW and Purdue. I'll take ND, OU, or Okie St all day long. Academics and other sports aside, I'm referring to FB here.

LMAO!!!! You posted that article 1 minute after he wanted to see something saying USC didn't want Clemson in the SEC. I wonder why mister know it all didn't respond, he had to see it? Maybe because his "sources" or "what he has been hearing" is all BS.

Question for the ISU fans: Would you rather contend for a MW or MAC title more often than not? Or know that you have almost zero chance of winning a Big12 title with Texas, OK, OkSt, Mizzou standing in your way?

Honestly i don't know how I'd answer the question.

Latest posts