Penn State vs Auburn

Watched that game last night, PSU is the real deal.

Dotson is one of the best in P5, and their defense gave a high-powered Auburn offense a lot of trouble.

This one better be a Kinnick night game. We might need it.

There is about an 80% chance this game winds up like that one where everyone needed to leave at halftime because it was so ugly. PSU should be ranked where Iowa is. Winning at Camp Randall and beating Auburn is far more impressive than beating an over ranked Indiana and an Iowa State team that is effectively a solid AAC team.

There is about an 80% chance this game winds up like that one where everyone needed to leave at halftime because it was so ugly. PSU should be ranked where Iowa is. Winning at Camp Randall and beating Auburn is far more impressive than beating an over ranked Indiana and an Iowa State team that is effectively a solid AAC team.
Correct. ISU is fake news. That UNLV squad is one of the worst teams in all of college football. There are D3 teams that would keep the score close.

Ranked 5/6 any distinction is meaningless at this point in the season. Agree that Camp Randall is a tougher place to play, but Wisconsin was overrated too (albeit not as badly as Iowa State) largely because Mertz is an absolutely awful QB until proven otherwise, and their OL doesn't look to be up to their usual standards. Perhaps they show up in the next couples weeks and make me eat those words, but they only have two games to evaluate. Iowa's defense shutting down Penix and Purdy was more impressive than Penn State shutting down Mertz and Nix. Call it a hot take if you will, I can see arguments both ways, but Purdy I think has to be the best of the four. That doesn't make him a world beater, or even a higher draft pick than Nate Stanley. Clifford is (Somehow) not that much better than Petras on average. Clifford was pedestrian both times he played Iowa. This is going to be a close game, just like in '17,'18, and '19. This Iowa squad is better than when they met in '16 (I still wish Beathard was healthier that season), and Penn State is better than they were last year.

As to Auburn, yeah, impressive win, but this is a good but not great Auburn squad, right in the same tier as Iowa State and Indiana. Frankly, a game that Penn State with perhaps the strongest home field advantage (white out) in the league should have won, and they did. Might upset a big boy or two and make some noise in conference play, but no real threat at winning the SEC. But hey, Penn State passes the eye test, and we are going to learn which team is for real in two weeks.

Also obligatory F the pedos.

Last edited:
Watched that game last night, PSU is the real deal.

Dotson is one of the best in P5, and their defense gave a high-powered Auburn offense a lot of trouble.

This one better be a Kinnick night game. We might need it.
We will know who the Big Ten wants to win depending on what time of day they schedule it...

As to Auburn, yeah, impressive win, but this is a good but not great Auburn squad, right in the same tier as Iowa State and Indiana. Frankly, a game that Penn State with perhaps the strongest home field advantage (white out) in the league should have won, and they did. Might upset a big boy or two and make some noise in conference play, but no real threat at winning the SEC. But hey, Penn State passes the eye test, and we are going to learn which team is for real in two weeks.

Also obligatory F the pedos.
I dunno, Auburn's D looked a lot better than Indiana or ISU to me, and their offense aired it out pretty well. Our secondary struggled Saturday against big plays.

I don't fear Wisconsin. Their QB stinks.

I do fear Penn State.

Beat Wisconsin and we win the division, I think.
Agree. 100%. If we have a bad day we are capable of losing to Wisky but our best day against their best day we should take care of them and that's pretty much what we go on. PSU we'll have to not only have our best day in all 3 phases but we may need them to struggle some. I was impressed with them they look legit

This is going to be a game where Petras is going to have to make some plays.

Turning Wisconsin over 3 times and only winning 16-10 led you to that conclusion? Wisconsin gift wrapped that game and Penn State took advantage of it. My conclusion is that the Iowa/PSU should be a rock fight.
From what I remember of that game Wisky looked like the better team. I’m not saying we will beat PSU but I wasn’t impressed by them in that game. I didn’t get to watch much of their game against Auburn.

Auburn is likely in the bottom half of the SEC and who knows how good Wisconsin really is. It's the same situation Iowa is in with ISU and Indiana, at least Iowa decisively won those games while PSU squeaked out wins.

IMO Iowa's win in Ames is better than Penn State's win over Auburn, jury is still on on Wisconsin.

I don’t watch enough games to know for sure but it feels like the natty is more up for grabs this year than most. One thing I do know is that we still have a 0 in the loss column so I can still dream. Why not us? Why not this year?

Folks gotta remember, too…

First goal is winning the division, not beating Penn State.

Win the division and you get a chance at Indy. With OSU not looking as good as prior, there’s a puncher’s chance at pulling out a fluke against PSU or OSU. And we all know what happens then, although Iowa making the CFP would be an utter embarrassment that would take decades to remove from people’s collective memory.

Long story short…win the division and at least put on a good show in Indy. Make a respectable bowl game and put a good season in the books.

Penn State isn’t required for any of of that. Losing to them is not freak out time. Even though everyone here will.

Penn State isn’t required for any of of that. Losing to them is not freak out time. Even though everyone here will.

FU Fry, if Iowa loses to PSU I'm gonna freak out. It might not be on here, I might be cooled off by the time I get home but I'll be freaking out.

I know it's been a while but I still hate them and every fan that roots for them.

Latest posts