Penn State prediction and meltdown

KF said it is hard to think of anything associate with a devastating injury like that as "good news", but it was a clean break, no joint involvement, it should heal well. He said Drake Kulick and Brandon Scherff had similar injuries, and they were back and ready to go the following seasons.
I get that. F***ed up my angle bad when in college (ligaments). Doctor said I would have been better off just breaking it. Still gives me trouble to this day.

This silver lining here I guess is that Luke probably would have bolted for the NFL after this season. Now, he's almost a guarantee to return.

This silver lining here I guess is that Luke probably would have bolted for the NFL after this season. Now, he's almost a guarantee to return.

Maybe, but he has probably shown enough to be a fairly solid draft pick. Coming back and demonstrating good health for a season would probably boost him, but it might not be worth the cost. I am sure he will consult with his family and coaches and make the right decision for him. Doesn't hurt to have an NFL vet as a dad to help advise.

Maybe, but he has probably shown enough to be a fairly solid draft pick. Coming back and demonstrating good health for a season would probably boost him, but it might not be worth the cost. I am sure he will consult with his family and coaches and make the right decision for him. Doesn't hurt to have an NFL vet as a dad to help advise.
It's always possible he would declare, but he doesn't have a lot of game film for teams to disect. He would be gambling that an NFL team is willing to roll the dice, and that's a pretty big gamble when you compare rookie contracts by round. If he returns and has a very solid year he could play himself potentially into the first round. We'll see how it plays out, but my guess right now is that he'll come back.

I think we'll see, by the time the season is over, that this Defense isn't anything particularly special. It will be a defense that comes up big sometimes but will give up big plays like we haven't seen in a while. We're already seeing this UTS and WMU both had plays that were strange to see. #10 and #27 are the weak spots. 27 got burned 2x against Michigan in the championship game and seems to me another time as well. #10 isn't as good as advertised...at least not yet
This

Not sure how that's a silver lining. If that's how it plays out, we gain him one year but lose him for another, it's a wash. Plus he's arguably more important this year as his backups are less experienced.

I think we'll see, by the time the season is over, that this Defense isn't anything particularly special. It will be a defense that comes up big sometimes but will give up big plays like we haven't seen in a while. We're already seeing this UTS and WMU both had plays that were strange to see. #10 and #27 are the weak spots. 27 got burned 2x against Michigan in the championship game and seems to me another time as well. #10 isn't as good as advertised...at least not yet
I think #10 is still figuring things out yet and Parker is trying to figure out how to use him. He's been out of position on zone reads a couple times but that feels like a correctable thing. He's good at chasing the play and making it. He's just unsure of his responsibilities and I think that's making him a step slow out there yet. As a SR I think he'll improve as yr goes on hopefully starting this week.

#27 yeah that was his first game in 2 yrs pretty much... Tough to blast him too much and everyone got blasted by that Michigan team that day. Totally agree we can't be having our corners getting beat deep so easily like that. Having the DL get pressure so QB doesn't have time to pump fake a 3rd and 7 out and up route would help with that too. He jumped the route and had he been right woulda had a pick. Not all his fault that #1 was out of position too and didn't have the angle over the top to get there either.

To me it falls on our DL. IL exposed PSUs Oline a little bit. They really didn't look all that great last game in pass protection. It took 5 TOs for PSU to put up 30 pts. If Iowa can limit their running game and put Allar in 3rd and longs it gives us a chance. This is more about our DL then it is our DBs.

Offensively I don't have high hopes. Maybe we bust a long play I'm sure we'll take a couple shots. But not much more. I'll be surprised if we put up 20 pts on em. First to 17 could win this one. I don't think we'll run the ball for much at all IL sure didn't either. So we'll see what Cade and this receiving core can do without Lachey.

I'm not optimistic about the PSU game. The major problem Iowa has is the leg injury McNamara suffered. It essentially eliminates the QB from running for yardage. It's a huge advantage for PSU to know that he is unlikely to run. Iowa can expect 8 men within 5 yards of the scrimmage line repeatably. The Iowa OC has shown so far that he cannot find or develop a passing attack that can counter the 8 men in the box defensive scheme. I expect to see the Iowa offense that was displayed in the 2nd half of the ISU game.

The Iowa defense is likely to score more points than the offense. PSU 30 - Iowa 2

National sports media say it will be a low scoring grind game. The rain may do that but I think it will not be that kind of game.

It's always possible he would declare, but he doesn't have a lot of game film for teams to disect. He would be gambling that an NFL team is willing to roll the dice, and that's a pretty big gamble when you compare rookie contracts by round. If he returns and has a very solid year he could play himself potentially into the first round. We'll see how it plays out, but my guess right now is that he'll come back.

There's enough on him to be a 6th or 7th round guy now. If he comes back he is a late first round or second round guy at worst. Get him some NIL cash for next year and then the escalation in the draft and it's a no-brainer for him to come back. The guy has definitely shown flashes of brilliance, like that catch in the Minnesota game after LaPorta got hurt, but there's not enough tape to get him a high pick.

My guess is that he will explore his options with NFL guru’s and then make the call. He is a smart guy and will have a ton of legit help on his decision.

Not sure how that's a silver lining. If that's how it plays out, we gain him one year but lose him for another, it's a wash. Plus he's arguably more important this year as his backups are less experienced.
Not sure I see it as a wash. If he comes back, we get him for one more year. If he declares, we get him for zero more years.

Ostrenga isn’t Lachey, but he he is good and seems like the next guy in line. Lachey being hurt sucks…given my age I guess, I never worry about the TE spot, 40+ years and they always had a dude.

We still have a lot of depth. All is a huge weapon and a history with Cade. Two good backups and a coach who gets the most of our TE’s. Don’t under estimate our coaches. They are keys to the development and use of TE’s. Who does it better than Iowa?
Update: Tyrone up to 80 yards receiving and RB role. Wish he had stayed with us.

I'm not optimistic about the PSU game. The major problem Iowa has is the leg injury McNamara suffered. It essentially eliminates the QB from running for yardage. It's a huge advantage for PSU to know that he is unlikely to run. Iowa can expect 8 men within 5 yards of the scrimmage line repeatably. The Iowa OC has shown so far that he cannot find or develop a passing attack that can counter the 8 men in the box defensive scheme. I expect to see the Iowa offense that was displayed in the 2nd half of the ISU game.

The Iowa defense is likely to score more points than the offense. PSU 30 - Iowa 2
McNamara will need to do some bootlegs, rollouts & scrambles to keep the defense from overwhelming our OL with stunts and blitzes.
If he is immobile it will be a very long day.

Latest posts