Penn State prediction and meltdown

Xwampa is taking some bad angles and peeking into the backfield. The touchdown this last game was not the corner's fault. He should have had safety support over the top. Even if you look at the INT he had in the first game, he initially misread the coverage and was fortunate the pass came out way too late. He is so athletic and talented, but he needs better discipline. Phil Parker knows how to coach up the DB, and there is some coaching that is needed at one safety and one CB position.

I also have been underwhelmed by the DL to date. They have been fine, but I haven't seen anyone that can take over a game as we have had the last few seasons.

That all said, this is a Top 15 defense. Maybe not Top 5, but still pretty salty and they have room to grow.
I noticed that X was sucked inside on that play. Not sure if he was just guessing or if QB fooled him by looking there initially or what but yeah X was way too far out of position to help on that and it looked like he was supposed to have been. Harris bit hard on that out pattern largely due to it being 3rd and 7 had QB thrown the out on it Harris woulda been all over it but since DL didn't provide enough pressure QB had time to do the pump fake and run that double move. Hats off to them executing it. He made a perfect throw.

But yeah between the DL, Harris and X not doing their jobs on what shoulda been a 3rd down not converted and a punt ended up in them scoring a long TD. Harris was burned later in game on a similar play too. He'll want to tighten that up. Parker will have plenty to go over with them all this week for sure.

Penn State is a 2 TD favorite, even the most positive of positive Iowa fans have to have this one as an L. It is highly and I do mean, highly unlikely we will win this game. It will take a close to flawless game to do it. So, please be prepared to lose this game if you're an Iowa fan because no one else expects us to win it either. I think Iowa keeps it within a TD.

I also predict that regardless of score either way, close or blow out, the fan base will melt down, over react and call for Brian Ferentz's head because they are already doing that and Iowa is 3-0

Last edited:
I'd love to be optimistic and think (with my heart at least) we can keep it close, but without knowing Lachey's status I'm thinking it could get ugly, by Iowa standards at least. I think PSU wins outright, but 50/50 on whether PSU will cover. I wouldn't bet against them at this point.

Penn State is a 2 TD favorite, even the most positive of positive Iowa fans have to have this one as an L. It is highly and I do mean, highly unlikely we will this game. It will take a close to flawless game to do it. So, please be prepared to lose this game if you're an Iowa fan because no one else expects us to win it either. I think Iowa keeps it within a TD.

I also predict that regardless of score either way, close or blow out, the fan base will melt down, over react and call for Brian Ferentz's head because they are already doing that and Iowa is 3-0
Not sure where I stand on fans calling for BF's head. Albeit it's always normal after a loss, but with them being a 14 point favorite and the fact it's a game that most viewed as a preseason L I'm not sure about too much over reaction or additional hatred headed BF's way. That says if he calls a head scratcher similar to his Wiscy performance after our OSU beatdown, it's hard to say it isn't warranted.

I'd love to be optimistic and think (with my heart at least) we can keep it close, but without knowing Lachey's status I'm thinking it could get ugly, by Iowa standards at least. I think PSU wins outright, but 50/50 on whether PSU will cover. I wouldn't bet against them at this point.

I am pretty sure we know Lachey's status. The end of his bone was visibly pushing against the skin of his lower leg.

Let's hope it was just fracture, those tend to heal pretty well. If it was ankle dislocation, those get trickier.

While it would not shock me to see a slugfest that Iowa pulls out with a late field goal, I think Iowa will need multiple breaks to win this one. A couple explosive offensive plays, multiple TOs by PSU, and a score from D or Specials. While I don't think it will happen, an Iowa win here would not be jaw dropping. Iowa is a very good team with some obvious flaws, but PSU is not perfect either.

If Cade keeps giving away presents we have zero shot. We have to win the turnover battle by 2 and run the damn ball, even then it’ll be a close win.

If we are underwater on turnovers it’s a blowout.
This. Playing clean football and winning the TO battle will be key if we want to even have a shot.

As for the defense, it's good, but as others have pointed out, expecting this defense to be as dominant as last season's defense is grossly unrealistic. We lost too much talent, including at least one generational player.

Our DL play nevertheless has been at least somewhat disappointing. I wasn't necessarily expecting any of our D-line players to be dominant, but Craig's lack of impact has been especially disappointing. He has been MIA against both the run and the pass. Also, while I liked Black's tape in HS, he's predominantly a space-eater with limited movement/twitch. Unless Craig somehow breaks out, this line is not going to be dominant but will be servicable. That said, I love some of the raw talent there, expecially Graves and Llewellyn (watch out for him next season), and Evans is a warrior that will fight every snap.

Much as I'd love to envision this as another great Hawkeye win for the ages...I'm not seeing it.

-Our defense is good, but still vulnerable (and PSU has a great young QB)
-The offense is improving but Cade still hasn't found a rhythm...lots of misses and hesitations.
-Still plenty of missed blocks by the OL. A B1G defense will eat that up.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong, and KFz has done it before. But with the above...I see a double digit loss. And yet, we still make the B1G title game. The West is weak.

Wouldn't it be something if Iowa were to win and say Bama struggles again. I don't even know who they play next but they sure haven't looked good the last 2 weeks. We could possibly see Iowa rated higher then them....

I would love to play this game in early November, but it is being played in late September and Iowa has too many moving parts on offense to make this work. What is so awesome about this…is that this game really doesn’t matter if they handle their business after it.

Penn State is a 2 TD favorite, even the most positive of positive Iowa fans have to have this one as an L. It is highly and I do mean, highly unlikely we will win this game. It will take a close to flawless game to do it. So, please be prepared to lose this game if you're an Iowa fan because no one else expects us to win it either. I think Iowa keeps it within a TD.

I think before Iowa gets a first down penn state will score 3 times

I think the most important thing to remember about this game is penn st had a coach that raped little boys in the locker room and the admin knew about it. They should not have a team.

So, please be prepared to lose this game if you're an Iowa fan because no one else expects us to win it either.

Oh, don't you worry, I'm completely prepared to lose it. I've also been doing wrist exercises to get my typing finger ready to absolutely eviscerate the coaching staff during and after the game on this austere forum.

I think before Iowa gets a first down penn state will score 3 times
I hope you're wrong, I think it will be close, the series has been pretty close for the most part with very few of one team just dominating the other, but there have been a few of those too. I don't think PSU has shown enough for anyone to think this is going to be a woodshed game but ya never know. This isn't like playing TOSU last season imo or anywhere close.

I am pretty sure we know Lachey's status. The end of his bone was visibly pushing against the skin of his lower leg.

Let's hope it was just fracture, those tend to heal pretty well. If it was ankle dislocation, those get trickier.
TBH I honestly hadn't noticed that and glad I didn't. Knowing now it's season ending lets just hope he has a full recovery with no issues and is back to 100% doing what he loves.

TBH I honestly hadn't noticed that and glad I didn't. Knowing now it's season ending lets just hope he has a full recovery with no issues and is back to 100% doing what he loves.

KF said it is hard to think of anything associate with a devastating injury like that as "good news", but it was a clean break, no joint involvement, it should heal well. He said Drake Kulick and Brandon Scherff had similar injuries, and they were back and ready to go the following seasons.

Latest posts