Penn State Gets Hammer: Worse than Death Penalty?

Then take away their 2013 football season, I really don't care but take something more than a handful of scholarships away and post season. SMU turned into a mid major after their death sentence, Penn State will still be a major college football program. Remember this discussion the next game at Penn State you watch, the fans will rally around this team and enjoy the moments when the cameras show Jay Paterno enjoying the nice view from the box seats with his family. Do not be surprised if they chant JoePa while his wife waves at the crowd. Yeah losing 10 scholarships sting but they will still be able to field a competitive team.

SMU was hit at a time when there was no major TV deals..

So to be clear you are okay with Iowa getting less $$ from the Big Ten Network and ESPN right?

Cuz if you take PSU's season away, then the TV contracts will be renegotiated for significantly less..

Like it or not, Penn State is probably 3rd behind Michigan and Ohio State in terms of market..

I know you want death, but there would be collateral damage..

So to be clear you are okay with Iowa getting less $$ from the Big Ten Network and ESPN right?

Cuz if you take PSU's season away, then the TV contracts will be renegotiated for significantly less..

Like it or not, Penn State is probably 3rd behind Michigan and Ohio State in terms of market..

I would gladly take less money to be rid of PSU

The Paterno family keeps saying 'we knew him best'.

So, you knew daddy covered up for a child rapist?

If yes, then shut up and turn yourselves in.

If no, then you didn't know him much better than anyone else

BOOM!
Check out The Diesel, bringing the pain on a horrendously hot Monday!

If you are an incoming student to PSU, you must feel pretty upset. You will never be able to experience a bowl game for your entire 4 years... I would be ******

woah, woah, woah, David, lets first discuss how the ncaa can't punish Penn St.

I never said they can't punish them. I said they don't have the authority in their rules to punish them and I said that the NCAA has no business trying to get involved in this matter they are ill-equipped to handle. Which still stands.

As I said before the NCAA would try to punish PSU by bending and twisting what words they could in their consitution to punish PSU. But make no mistake about it, they found a way to punish PSU not because this was within the purview, the punished PSU because they felt they had to because of public pressure and they were scared of not doing anything. Why do you think that PSU wasn't given the death penalty? Why do you think PSU agreed with all the sanctions. What I am sure happened was that NCAA got together with PSU and hammered out some kind of deal because PSU wants to fix their immage as well. The agreed to bowl bans and scholarship reductions. The money part was probably PSU's idea because they had already said they were going to start using football money to donate to charities.

As I said previously, people are mistaking the NCAA punishing PSU with actual rules that cover this situation in which to punish them.

In an article that came out today, an unnamed former chair of infractions committee who now is on appeals committee, stated that NCAA had no authority in its bylaws to handle this and that is basically why they turned over all power to Emmert to act on his own.

I am sure football at Iowa will be just fine. What people don't get is covering up for a pedophile for 14 years is much bigger than football. The only way you send that message is by taking away what enabled all of this to happen.

Go look at their boards, many of the fans are acting like they are martyrs. They now get to rally around their football team.

Everyone is forgetting one other big change that's going to be happening as a result of this punishment.....

And that's all the compliance and monitoring that they have to go thorugh over the next several years, both with internally hired people as well as NCAA people. Anyone who has had to deal with outside compliance people knows how much of a pain in the a$$ this is.....and PSU has to put up with it for YEARS.

And to the person talking about "only" reducing scholarships by 10 per year must have missed the part where they are capped at 65 per year. Do you have any idea how hard it will be for them to even COMPETE against FBS level teams with 20 fewer scholarship players on their roster?

Make no mistake about it, PSU football, for all intents and purposes, is dead for the next decade.

The compliance and monitoring thing is a non-issue and just tacked on to make it look as though there are being really tough on them.

This quote from the family really stands out to me as an example of "They just don't get it, do they?"............."Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky’s crimes does not serve justice."

I'm sorry, I was under the mistaken impression that the punishment was due to the coverup of a serial child rapist for a period of 14 years in order to protect the football coach and his football program. I'm pretty sure that Sandusky's crimes were already tried in a court of law and he was found guilty....so we aren't talking about those crimes anymore. We're now talking about punishing a culture that put wins above children, that put legacy above a rapist, that the football gravy train over the lives of numerous children that were raped inside the PSU football complex.

A wise man once said that it was better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. The Paterno family would be wise to take this advice.

I never said they can't punish them. I said they don't have the authority in their rules to punish them and I said that the NCAA has no business trying to get involved in this matter they are ill-equipped to handle. Which still stands.

As I said before the NCAA would try to punish PSU by bending and twisting what words they could in their consitution to punish PSU. But make no mistake about it, they found a way to punish PSU not because this was within the purview, the punished PSU because they felt they had to because of public pressure and they were scared of not doing anything. Why do you think that PSU wasn't given the death penalty? Why do you think PSU agreed with all the sanctions. What I am sure happened was that NCAA got together with PSU and hammered out some kind of deal because PSU wants to fix their immage as well. The agreed to bowl bans and scholarship reductions. The money part was probably PSU's idea because they had already said they were going to start using football money to donate to charities.

As I said previously, people are mistaking the NCAA punishing PSU with actual rules that cover this situation in which to punish them.

In an article that came out today, an unnamed former chair of infractions committee who now is on appeals committee, stated that NCAA had no authority in its bylaws to handle this and that is basically why they turned over all power to Emmert to act on his own.

LOL

I would gladly take less money to be rid of PSU

You might, would the university of Iowa? Doubt it..

Give the sanctions a chance and see what happens. I know everybody
throws out USC, but these are much much worse..

A 65 scholly limit, is a scary number...Guys leave, flunk out, get into any trouble you are screwed. You cannot replace that guy in the next class.

It is possible by the end of this PSU could have 50 kids or less on scholarship.

I am sure football at Iowa will be just fine. What people don't get is covering up for a pedophile for 14 years is much bigger than football. The only way you send that message is by taking away what enabled all of this to happen.

Go look at their boards, many of the fans are acting like they are martyrs. They now get to rally around their football team.

That's good to know, and they should be treated accordingly when they disgrace Iowa City with their presence.

That's good to know, and they should be treated accordingly when they disgrace Iowa City with their presence.

Right, because message boards are an accurate barometer of fan attitudes. I'll bet you my bottom dollar, the Penn State fans you might meet at Kinnick won't be the type to be defending any of this. But go ahead, harass them, and look like a ******* in the process.

Go back to my original post, then you need to take away television contracts, put coaches salaries in line with a tenured professors.

Its the climate of ESPN saying your school is only relevant because
you are 11-0.. Ever notice the degrading comments theythrow out
about schools, that don't measure up on a consistent basis?

If you breed a climate of win at all costs what do you expect?

In terms of the fans, people are piling on at this point, they are put in a defensive position, you are going to try to defend yourself, even if its done irrationally.

Last edited:
The question is: Will Penn State really change its ways, or are they only being conveniently contrite to weather the storm? I'm a cynic, but for good reason around this story. I'm not so sure that after a few years of being appropriately shameful, that they won't double down their efforts to return to football prominence - it's too deeply embedded in their culture. And like any truly top-drawer program, a new Faustian bargain will be made to get there. Seriously, what are the chances that Penn State will be satisfied to have its football team be just another extracurricular activity on campus?

I have another take: The whole state will rally around this program. There is a lot of home-grown talent in Pennsylvania. They could recruit in-state walk-ons who would play for them. There will be a fall off, but not as much as you think!!!

That whole state lives and breaths Lion football. Just watch

I have another take: The whole state will rally around this program. There is a lot of home-grown talent in Pennsylvania. They could recruit in-state walk-ons who would play for them. There will be a fall off, but not as much as you think!!!

That whole state lives and breaths Lion football. Just watch

So Tuition is like what $16K a year..
So kid has to pay 64K if he is there 4 years and plays football as a walk on.
Actually it could be 80K if takes the kid 5 years to graduate..

Or he can go to another school on a free ride..

I know pride runs deep, but I am guessing most families would probably go with that scholly offer.

Last edited:

Latest posts