Penn State Emails

I totally agree with Mr. The Boss...there has to be some "conduct detrimental to the good of the conference" clause that could send PSU packing...and I hope they use it. Let them go fall into the Big East...if they'd even want them.

Big East would jump at the chance to get PSU, even WITH this scandal. And the B1G definitely needs to dump them.

They'd find a home, but the B1G is a different kind of animal - it's the only academic conference that also is an athletic conference. There's a certain cloak and dagger, cigar and scotch aura about the league.

It just wouldn't surprise me, and I think it would be the right thing to do. As for the money - they could replace Penn State with UVA and not miss a beat.

Of course they'd have to rebalance the leagues.

You know what I find really sad is seeing all the PSU fans that still think after these emails that it still doesn't prove JoePa knew anything. Seriously? I saw one response on their Scout board that said "where is the cover up? It isn't like the email said don't turn him in to save the program" Can people really be this stupid?? I honestly think some PSU fans wouldn't believe any thing other than Joe coming back from the dead and saying I didn't turn him in because it would hurt the program.

You know what I find really sad is seeing all the PSU fans that still think after these emails that it still doesn't prove JoePa knew anything. Seriously? I saw one response on their Scout board that said "where is the cover up? It isn't like the email said don't turn him in to save the program" Can people really be this stupid?? I honestly think some PSU fans wouldn't believe any thing other than Joe coming back from the dead and saying I didn't turn him in because it would hurt the program.

its amazing how people will back their favorite sports or political figure, even when confronted with cold hard facts of their abuses and failings. if they love JoePa, then he can do no wrong, end of story.

[B said:
Hawksd;839069][/B]People who tried to cover it up need to be punished, but you can't let someone like Sundusky bring down a Big Ten university. Kicking them out of the B1G is ridiculous

Why the heck not? This is the worst University scandal I can ever remember hearing about. If this isn't enough, then what is?

The whole story gets more disgusting the more I hear about it, and it's sounding more and more like it was just more than 1 or 2 people who looked the other way..

Sandusky wouldn't bring down the university. Not reporting Sandusky and conspiring to not go to the proper authorities while untold kids would be sexually molested in the future is a good reason

Sandusky wouldn't bring down the university. Not reporting Sandusky and conspiring to not go to the proper authorities while untold kids would be sexually molested in the future is a good reason

This.

And the fact there was a hell of a lot more talk about the crimes with the school president, AD, HC, and campus police VP (or whatever the hell his title is) then people were led to believe. That's what makes these emails so much worse, they KNEW what they were dealing with and made the decision to do nothing, the second guessing of that is even more evidence they were aware how serious this was.

To kick the whole school out of the conference? Should the BCS drop the B1G because PSU was a member during the Sandusky cover up? I think it's crazy to call for such severe punishment of so many innocent teachers and students.

Newly uncovered emails in the Jerry Sandusky case show that Penn State officials were on the verge of blowing the whistle on him -- but changed their minds after talking to coach Joe Paterno.

The missives, obtained by CNN, seemingly contradict the late Paterno's claim that he alerted higher-ups to a report of Sandusky showering with a boy and had nothing to do with the matter after that.

They could also spell trouble for a trio of university bigwigs: Athletic Director Tom Curley and Senior Vice President Gary Schultz, who have been charged with perjury, and former college president Graham Spanier, who was forced to resign after the scandal broke.

Tom Kline, a lawyer for one of the molestation victims, called the emails "shocking" and told CNN they showed a "concerted, conscious, collaborative effort" to keep Sandusky's crimes a secret from authorities.

The emails were sent in 2001, two weeks after assistant coach Mike McQueary found Sandusky and a boy in a shower - and three years after another shower incident.

They reveal that Penn State administrators planned to alert Sandusky's Second Mile charity and the state Department of Public Welfare, but dropped that idea after consulting with Paterno.

"After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps," Curley wrote to Schultz and Spanier.

The officials even acknowledged in the emails that not raising the red flag about Sandusky's conduct could land them in hot water "down the road."

Read more: Joe Paterno influenced Penn State officials to keep quiet about Jerry Sandusky, emails reveal - NY Daily News

If legit this is very alarming and makes me feel sick & dumb for ever trying to give Joe Pa the benefit of the doubt. I had thought/hoped he had done what he thought he should, notified the proper authorities and then hoped for the best. It seems now (if I’m reading right) he was instrumental in talking them “outâ€￾ of moving forward …?!?!?!? Sure wish we could have got his reasoning behind that?!

As horrible as these actions were, they are criminal in nature. Prosecute anybody and everybody that broke laws to the fullest extent of the laws. Clean house.
Start over within the administration and thruout the school.
These were failings by human beings,not the school.
The NCAA and Big Ten have different responsibilities than legal authorities.
They should let the dust settle,and then lay out their policies on these matters,but not actually penalize PSU...not part of their job in this type of a scandal.

As horrible as these actions were, they are criminal in nature. Prosecute anybody and everybody that broke laws to the fullest extent of the laws. Clean house.
Start over within the administration and thruout the school.
These were failings by human beings,not the school.
The NCAA and Big Ten have different responsibilities than legal authorities.
They should let the dust settle,and then lay out their policies on these matters,but not actually penalize PSU...not part of their job in this type of a scandal.

the NCAA brought the death penalty to Baylor B-ball for a criminal cause though. That had nothing to do with "athletic advancement" or "unfair advantage". Not saying that they should get punished like that, but it does establish a precedent.

If legit this is very alarming and makes me feel sick & dumb for ever trying to give Joe Pa the benefit of the doubt. I had thought/hoped he had done what he thought he should, notified the proper authorities and then hoped for the best. It seems now (if I’m reading right) he was instrumental in talking them “outâ€￾ of moving forward …?!?!?!? Sure wish we could have got his reasoning behind that?!

If the report is accurate then it does indeed sound like JoePa was the one to decide that a cover up was the most "humane" way to proceed. Absolutely reprehensible, tho I don't think the entire university should be punished anymore than I think the entire German population should have been charged with war crimes after WWII. No point in holding people accountable for something they were unaware of.

If the report is accurate then it does indeed sound like JoePa was the one to decide that a cover up was the most "humane" way to proceed. Absolutely reprehensible, tho I don't think the entire university should be punished anymore than I think the entire German population should have been charged with war crimes after WWII. No point in holding people accountable for something they were unaware of.

I agree, that the criminals should be prosecuted, not the greater PSU faculty and institution as a whole. Now I will also add, I decided to take the time to read that excerpt and I didn’t’ read ANY supposed email by Joe Pa. Only an indication by someone, possibly Curley (didn’t go back to check) that he “spoke” with Joe and decided to go another direction…..

So that leaves a lot unsaid and it is also interesting that Joe Pa was never noted for any email interaction……so either he was smart enuff NOT to use email or he was only shallowly involved.

I agree, that the criminals should be prosecuted, not the greater PSU faculty and institution as a whole. Now I will also add, I decided to take the time to read that excerpt and I didn’t’ read ANY supposed email by Joe Pa. Only an indication by someone, possibly Curley (didn’t go back to check) that he “spoke†with Joe and decided to go another direction…..

So that leaves a lot unsaid and it is also interesting that Joe Pa was never noted for any email interaction……so either he was smart enuff NOT to use email or he was only shallowly involved.

A spokesman for the Paterno family has said that Joe didn't use email which is easy to believe.

You are right, one of the three stooges said something to the effect that after talking to Joe and thinking it over he was uncomfortable with notifying authorities. Not exactly a smoking gun but not a stretch to include JoePa in the cover up either. His was the most influential presence on that campus for many years.

When the heads of an institution all conspire to commit crimes then the institution as a whole can be and should be punished, this is how it is and has been.

use that lump three feet above your as5 and figure it out.

That is a funny one.

Things like the rhado incident, smaller recruiting violations, players getting in trouble are going to happen when roughly 115 teams with 100 players are involved.

But pedo state univ , if these emails prove any kind of cover up, need to have major sanctions. Tressel got fired for lying, the stupid dbag, if he tells the truth, he is still at OSU.

If the PSU people would have turned in Sandusky 20 years ago or whenever they would have been cheered as heros of the victims.

They need to learn their lessons.

Latest posts