Pemsl

I don’t know the makeup of the team but I get the feeling Pemsl is a core guy and a bit of a leader.

His talent can’t demand to be thee guy or leader but I think the team does feed off his energy.

Kriener played fairly well early but has had 3 really bad games in a row now which may make the return of Pemsl even more important.

Last season when Cordell was playing the team seemed to settle down. His energy and attitude were infectious.....

Actually I thought Pemsl took a step back his So year when he 'trimmed down' and was lighter and quicker -- which surprised I think everyone, including him. Then last night he gets out there, looks like he's carrying a little extra weight again like he did as a Fr, and looks dynamite.

I too was real surprised by Pemsl's return and performance. I thought he looked in better basketball shape last night compared to last year....and....at least for one night...mentally tougher. I thought he played better last night than most games he played in last year.

Hopefully this version sticks around a long time.

That was awesome. On one of these posts last yr I'd found a highlight clip deal of him in HS and it showed him hitting some jumpers and looked good doing it. How the last couple yrs while in college he got away from even taking them is beyond me. He's capable. That shot last night might be about the extent of his range but dang it. He's capable and always has been of hitting them. Now keep taking them!!!
His miss from fifteen against TCU ended our 2017 season when he could have extended it at least one more overtime. He pretty much lost that summer as well, couldn't play on the overseas tour, etc.

If he could keep defenders honest from 15-17' it would definitely open up his post game, like it did for Melsahn Basabe.

Frustrating part is the lack of effort by the bigs to prevent a steal. Go get the damn ball, kick it back out and reset instead of letting an easy steal happen. Maybe if they did that the Iowa guards can practice more real game situations with this

I LOVED Pemsl's 'game' as a Freshman...wide body--great at using it to carve space and garner rebounds, etc. Then, he keeps losing weight (to get in better shape), but IMO, it took away from his 'game', and his effectiveness and minutes dwindled.

Actually I thought Pemsl took a step back his So year when he 'trimmed down' and was lighter and quicker -- which surprised I think everyone, including him. Then last night he gets out there, looks like he's carrying a little extra weight again like he did as a Fr, and looks dynamite.
I thought he looked rail thin last night. And I'm pretty sure he dropped significant weight since last season.

Pemsl gave us some good minutes the other night. I thought Fran might have left him out there for too long at one point.

If he can come in and play with energy for short spurts he can be a quality bench guy. Both he and Kriener cannot turn the ball over when they are out there.

Quite frankly I don’t think Pemsl pairs well with any of our bigs. With Cook neither of them are a threat to shoot outside so the spacing becomes an issue. With Garza you are going to be seriously challenged defensively with footspeed.

It will be interesting to see if Fran decides to choose between either Pemsl or Kriener or if he plays them both. Based on his history I guess we would expect him to try and play both of them.

Pemsl gave us some good minutes the other night. I thought Fran might have left him out there for too long at one point.

If he can come in and play with energy for short spurts he can be a quality bench guy. Both he and Kriener cannot turn the ball over when they are out there.

Quite frankly I don’t think Pemsl pairs well with any of our bigs. With Cook neither of them are a threat to shoot outside so the spacing becomes an issue. With Garza you are going to be seriously challenged defensively with footspeed.

It will be interesting to see if Fran decides to choose between either Pemsl or Kriener or if he plays them both. Based on his history I guess we would expect him to try and play both of them.

Do we know if Pemsl still plans on having surgery later this month? I haven't seen it confirmed if he still plans on having it later this month or not.

Do we know if Pemsl still plans on having surgery later this month? I haven't seen it confirmed if he still plans on having it later this month or not.
In a Sunday article in the Dubuque Telegraph Herald Cordell himself said it would be day to day. Basically a matter of pain tolerance. He said everytime he bends the knee joint a certain way, a screw rubs over the IT band. As a runner who has had issues with IT bands I can imagine how painful that can be.

Those screws attach a plate to his femur. This kid has gone through hell. He may be a lot of things but no one can question his toughness. Unless you think intentionally breaking a femur in a surgical procedure to attempt to get back on a basketball court isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
In a Sunday article in the Dubuque Telegraph Herald Cordell himself said it would be day to day. Basically a matter of pain tolerance. He said everytime he bends the knee joint a certain way, a screw rubs over the IT band. As a runner who has had issues with IT bands I can imagine how painful that can be.

Those screws attach a plate to his femur. This kid has gone through hell. He may be a lot of things but no one can question his toughness. Unless you don't think intentionally breaking a femur in a surgical procedure to attempt to get back on a basketball court isn't a big deal.

Some nice insight, thanks for sharing.

So we don't know if he plans on still having the surgery this month? Just day to day and see how he feels after the UNI game? I believe it's finals week for the team and I know he originally planned on having it after his final exams were finished.

No. He's going hunting Sat... for minutes!!

nothing official so TBD.......

Pat Harty@PatHarty
Just had a caller on KCJJ say he spoke with Cordell Pemsl, and with cordell’s mother on Friday, and they said Cordell will have surgery this coming week and plans to take a medical redshirt.