PEMSL

Duncan Robinson played mostly the 4 off the bench for the national runner up Michigan he was listed at 6’8/215.

Final four participant Kansas in essence started four guards, but their “4” man was Svi Mykhailiuk. He is listed at 6’8/205.

Final four participant Loyola Chicago also started four guards. Their starting “4” man was listed at 6’6/205.

The game of basketball is changing my friend. Post play has taken a backseat to the 3 point shot. For the most part only one true post is needed on the floor. Most teams are willing to give up contested two point shots and trade them for 3 point shots at the other end.
Sure some experiment with that but I don't see that fad sticking around. To do that you have to be not only willing to shoot a ton of 3s but have to be able to hit them at a rate that makes it 'worth it' If your giving up a ton of easy 2s because you can't guard an obvious mismatch that'll force adjustments. We have too many bigs on the roster for us to go that route for anything other than short stretches. The way Fran has put this team together it'd be tough to expect him to leave all those bigs on the bench...

That’s a laughable comparison as both of those 2 players could hit the 3 from day 1 entering those programs.

We are talking about putting Cordell at a spot that requires major athleticism and a full featured game. Absolutely ridiculous to think Cordell could pull that off in 1 off season because he lost weight. That’s why we are Iowa and not Michigan or KU.
I’m talking about Baer playing the 4 not Cordell. Keep up

Sure some experiment with that but I don't see that fad sticking around. To do that you have to be not only willing to shoot a ton of 3s but have to be able to hit them at a rate that makes it 'worth it' If your giving up a ton of easy 2s because you can't guard an obvious mismatch that'll force adjustments. We have too many bigs on the roster for us to go that route for anything other than short stretches. The way Fran has put this team together it'd be tough to expect him to leave all those bigs on the bench...
Tough decisions may have to be made and I do agree are roster construction isn’t ideal. But if Cordell and Kriener have to ride the pine for this team to be successful than so be it, this is big time college basketball.

If Fran is truly playing to win this season, then he'll establish an attitude early on that minutes are earned based upon performance.

While commendable, divvying out minutes to get everybody time on the court just isn't smart. First, it's next to impossible for a core group of players to get into any kind of consistent rhythm, and, second, it sends the message that even if you're not performing, you'll get time. That's rewarding mediocrity.

Pemsl just doesn't have the skill set to see the court with any regularity. That said, if he suddenly ups his game and performs early on, he certainly could earn them, just like anyone else. As for Kreiner, I honestly don't see him in the same category as Pemsl. He's got some skills, and, if he has put on muscle as rumored, I could see him getting significant time at the 5 this season. At the very least, he and Garza battling each other in practice will benefit the entire team.

Losing weight does not equal playing time case in point Uhl. Pemsl was effective as an athletic "big", he does not have the skills or speed to play the 3. Don't know who's giving advice. If it's to put less pressure on his body then playing time was not a factor.

Tough decisions may have to be made and I do agree are roster construction isn’t ideal. But if Cordell and Kriener have to ride the pine for this team to be successful than so be it, this is big time college basketball.
Yeah the bench PT really needs to tighten up to where 9-10 guys tops are playing significantly. But they have to earn it not just be out there because it's their 'turn' or cause they have a scholly too. This to me is Cooks year to shine he needs to play big mins and dominate. It'd be really nice if Garza and Nunge were to improve significantly as well so those 3 being our main bigs rotating in and out. If that leaves Pemsl, Kreiner not playing a whole lot it is what it is.
JBo playing a lot with hopefully a healthy CM behind him should be solid. With Moss and Dailey at the 2 with Baer and Wieskamp at the 3. Go with the hot hands significantly more and let's see how we do.

Pemsl said he is guarding off guards and small forwards. With his thirty pounds weight loss I suppose he will be playing at the power forward and small forward position. This is the first year he has had a real chance to practice, and they said he was hitting his outside shot consistently, and was a lot quicker on his feet. Fran also said that Nunge was a power forward.

There is no way on earth he’s getting minutes at the 3 over Joe W!!!! That’s not happening for a guy that can hit from anywhere and a guy who has made zero 15-17 footers at Iowa. Then you have Baer playing the 3 too and maybe Dailey.

Losing weight does not mean getting minutes and hitting long jumpers.

He is not playing the 3.

Pemsl said he is guarding off guards and small forwards. With his thirty pounds weight loss I suppose he will be playing at the power forward and small forward position. This is the first year he has had a real chance to practice, and they said he was hitting his outside shot consistently, and was a lot quicker on his feet. Fran also said that Nunge was a power forward.

At first I was thinking I don't know about him losing the weight, and as others have stated, he was a bruiser that Iowa needs down there. But, when I think about it, he had really fast feet work before. I can only image how quick his moves are now which actually might be a good thing. It will be interesting to see.

I really appreciate his dedication and willingness to change if he thinks he can help the team. Maybe the coaches asked him to do it if they think they have a different role for him or a way to get him more minutes. Maybe they needed that other guy to be able to go in and guard the off guard or p forward.

I agree. Short spurts and balls out during those spurts. He's got the wingspan and can deflect balls. Maybe go with a press when he is in to give a team a different look.
I agree as well. We all love Baer, but, he's better suited to giving the team a boost as opposed to playing major minutes.

He's great at those important "effort plays" and getting under the opponent's skin, but his poor on-ball defense and lack of overall strength are major liabilities.

That's what I thought. Maybe I need to check the date of this thread. If he lost 30 lbs more, wow!

He lost a total of thirty pounds in the last two years. The pounds he lost last year were at a time when he was recovering from injury so he wasn't able to practice or be in great basketball shape. The pounds he lost for this coming year has been accompanied with lifting weights and being in basketball shape. I can see him playing some small forward, but it remains to be seen. Fran likes to switch the players around, and hopefully, the other players will be able to understand the different strengths on who is on the floor at a given time.

At first I was thinking I don't know about him losing the weight, and as others have stated, he was a bruiser that Iowa needs down there. But, when I think about it, he had really fast feet work before. I can only image how quick his moves are now which actually might be a good thing. It will be interesting to see.

I really appreciate his dedication and willingness to change if he thinks he can help the team. Maybe the coaches asked him to do it if they think they have a different role for him or a way to get him more minutes. Maybe they needed that other guy to be able to go in and guard the off guard or p forward.
I remember about twenty years ago in the late Davis era when JR Koch played here and the coaches struggled to figure out the best way to use him. He bounced between inside and outside so much that in my opinion he never really reached his full potential here. I think the uncertain status of Jess Settles may have affected him a bit. Consistency always seemed to be an issue with JR. He did get drafted (by the Knicks) but didn't stick in the NBA. I think the correct coaching regime is also struggling a bit to project Pemsl's role and where he could best be utilized. If he fumbles passes and dribbles the ball off his foot and gets overpowered down low and can't guard anybody, all of which happened last year, a lot of you posters have already made your feelings clear as to where he can best be utilized.

I agree as well. We all love Baer, but, he's better suited to giving the team a boost as opposed to playing major minutes.

He's great at those important "effort plays" and getting under the opponent's skin, but his poor on-ball defense and lack of overall strength are major liabilities.

His value is best optimized by coming off the bench, after analyzing the game and doing what must be done to give the lads a boost.....

:cool:

I am glad he is working his ass off to get better and fighting for PT rather than saying poor me and going elsewhere. He is either going to get the PT as a result or push the guy in front of him which is going to make the Team better. That's the kind of player I want to see in a Hawk uniform. I will be rooting for him.

What is your definition of "worth it"? You do realize that if you shoot the three at 33% (which generally is considered a poor three point shooting) then you are scoring points at the same rate as 49% from inside the three. And you do realize that 49.3% would put us nationally ranked at the worst at #12 in FG% and be at worst #3 in the Big 10. (Mich St at #8 - 49.6% and Purdue at #11 - 49.3%)