PEMSL

View attachment 3708
maxresdefault.jpg
Wow! What a competitor he was.

He gave away up to seven inches when you realize he was battling Kareem and Artis Gilmore, among others, in their prime.

And any team worth their weight in salt back then isolated a defender in the post, one on one, with what was probably their top offensive weapon.

Kareem has said Unseld was one of the toughest defenders he went against in the post. He had a wide rear end/lower body and used it well to make up for his lack of (NBA center) height.

Back to Cordell. It seems as if the extra weight may have affected his oft-injured legs too much. (And he has had legitimate injuries dating back to high school). I, like some here, thought he was more effective when he had a wide base. He's got to be down to what then, 215, 220? He was able to work out this offseason as opposed to resting and recovering from hernia surgery last summer, so let's see what he looks like on the court. The remote possibility that he could get some minutes at the three probably signals Dom Uhl type minutes for Nicholas Baer but much to be decided in the next four months and beyond.

Last edited:
Agreed. I felt bad for Nunge last year being forced to play out of position. He actually got to start a few games at the 4/5 with Cook alongside him early in the year and played really well.

I’m really high on Nunge and think he brings something to the table that Kriener and Pemsl don’t. He’s two inches taller than both of them, moves his feet better, and has the better outside shooting stroke. He needs to be playing his minutes at the 4 where he can excel, unfortunately for Pemsl and Kriener that probably means less minutes for them.
Still think Nunge should redshirt if any of them do. It wouldn't hurt him to get a year stronger and you could clear Pemsl and Kreiner off the roster and Nunge would still have two full years to, I don't know, become a Kaminsky/Ethan Happ type player?

We have to stop putting players at the 3 that can't play the 3. Sorry, but Nunge, or Pemsl should never ever get any minutes at the 3 spot.
In theory those would be Wiescamp's minutes to lose, based on what we threw out there at the three last year and their performance history.

Still think Nunge should redshirt if any of them do. It wouldn't hurt him to get a year stronger and you could clear Pemsl and Kreiner off the roster and Nunge would still have two full years to, I don't know, become a Kaminsky/Ethan Happ type player?
I disagree. It’s all hands on deck to try and get back to the NCAA tournament. If Nunge is better than Pemsl and Kriener (which he is IMO - and statistically for that matter) then he should play over them. This is not youth sports, just because they are good kids and probably hard workers does not mean they deserve minutes.

I disagree. It’s all hands on deck to try and get back to the NCAA tournament. If Nunge is better than Pemsl and Kriener (which he is IMO - and statistically for that matter) than he should play over them. This is not youth sports, just because they are good kids and probably hard workers does not mean they deserve minutes.
Point taken, but good luck trying to find minutes for all those players. I hope Jack doesn't waste his sophomore year getting about 10-12 minutes a night, which is a real possibility if Kreiner is healthy.
Unless Kreiner is strictly a five and spells Garza.

Point taken, but good luck trying to find minutes for all those players. I hope Jack doesn't waste his sophomore year getting about 10-12 minutes a night, which is a real possibility if Kreiner is healthy.
Unless Kreiner is strictly a five and spells Garza.
You don’t need to find minutes for all those players. The best players play it’s that simple. If feelings are hurt they can figure it out after the season. Personally this is how I would play it.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Weiskamp 20 / Baer 10 / Dailey 10
Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10
Garza 24 / Cook 16

That’s zero, zilch, none, no minutes for Kriener and Pemsl. They are nice kids who work hard but they are not good enough to play on this particular team. That team would have guys who can move their feet defensively and switch screens, they would also have four shooters on the floor at least for almost the entire game. It’s a guards game and we will still have plenty of size with Garza, Cook, and Nunge. Pemsl and Kriener are experienced reserves if foul trouble arises.

Last edited:
You don’t need to find minutes for all those players. The best players play it’s that simple. If feelings are hurt they can figure it out after the season. Personally this is how I would play it.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Garza 24 / Cook 26

That’s zero, zilch, none, no minutes for Kriener and Pemsl. They are nice kids who work hard but they are not good enough to play on this particular team. That team would have guys who can move their feet defensively and switch screens, they would also have four shooters on the floor at least for almost the entire game. It’s a guards game and we will still have plenty of size with Garza, Cook, and Nunge. Pemsl and Kriener are experienced reserves if foul trouble arises.
Several have suggested going that direction with minutes.

You, myself, and many others will be watching intently this season.

It could shake out close to what you are predicting but a healthy Kreiner is going to figure in the mix somewhere. He came on strong the last ten games of the season, BTT.

I got a feeling Baer is going to be fighting to get even ten minutes. Signing Joe hurts him because I think Baer gets physically overpowered too much at the four.

Several have suggested going that direction with minutes.

You, myself, and many others will be watching intently this season.

It could shake out close to what you are predicting but a healthy Kreiner is going to figure in the mix somewhere. He came on strong the last ten games of the season, BTT.

I got a feeling Baer is going to be fighting to get even ten minutes. Signing Joe hurts him because I think Baer gets physically overpowered too much at the four.
Agreed on Baer. You’d have to get his minutes at the 4 in short spurts. We need his energy and momentum type plays next year, from a pure basketball talent standpoint we have better options.

Agreed on Baer. You’d have to get his minutes at the 4 in short spurts. We need his energy and momentum type plays next year, from a pure basketball talent standpoint we have better options.

Baer is at his best for short minutes at a time to change things up.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / Dailey 15
Garza 24 / Cook 26

FYI, that's 50 minutes at the 5. You have to play Garza more than 14...so where does the other 10 come off?

Baer is at his best for short minutes at a time to change things up.
Exactly and if you try putting him at the 4 like I'm seeing suggested by some on here that doesn't work... He is like 210 lbs at the most. Name me a PF that he could guard? He's a 3 and maybe a 2 for certain stretches/matchups but in no way is he a PF. He's just not. Not at the offensive end and most certainly not at the defensive end. Play him for short bursts of time 2 to 4 mins and then give him a break. We have to maximize our players strengths and not try playing them where they don't fit... That goes for Nunge especially..

If I'm being honest...I liked Pemsl's game with the weight. He was a bruiser, he could back people down and he took up more space. I think last year was a tough year for him. He played stronger as a freshman.

But how would his old school game fit into today's basketball? Even Charles Barkley would have to adapt to the way the game is played now. The guy with the gigantic rear end just backing people down on the block doesn't work the way it use too.

They were wrong on this last year and wrong on this again this year IMO. Granted if they thought this would help limit injury risk that’s another story. My personal thought would have been to bulk him up and have him and Kriener fight for the backup minutes at the 5 position.

At the 4 I have him behind Cook, Nunge, and Baer. Yes, Baer can play the 4. Michigan played Duncan Robinson primarily at the 4 last year. Iowa needs to play smaller not bigger. We played sooo many bigs last year that more athletic teams ran circles around us. The way spacing works in basketball you can’t really have 3 post players out there at once, and the post game in general is being used less and less in the sport. Cook and Garza is plenty of firepower down low, we need shooters and guys who can move their feet defensively around them.

This X a 1000. Iowa has to get smaller. I feel for Pemls because he is in a bad spot. Iowa lacks dribble drive penetration so ball movement and spacing is everything, you can't have a bunch of guys just clogging things up.

The bottom line is Pemsl is a 4 and maybe a poor mans 5 under the right circumstance. He has absolutely no proven game and highly questionable ability to play the 3. I think Baer is questionable at the 3 but Pemsl would be a ridiculously bad choice.

He has hit virtually zero shots outside of 8-10 feet in his career at Iowa so are we going to spend next season as some kind of learn on the job experience for him trying to expand his game? Hitting a few in practice against a bad defensive team does not constitute a newly developed skill. How about putting the ball on the floor for dribble drive? Defending smaller more athletic players? Then you have 2 guys already that can do all that and more in Joe W & Dailey. Both of those 2 are tremendously better choices to play the 3 so we are going to take away minutes while we dink around with a guy? I would rather see us slide Moss to the 3 at times before I’d do Pemsl.

Love Pemsl’s grit, energy, work ethic and his post up game around the bucket but he’s a 4. The weight loss is irrelevant. He has to be better option than Cook, Nunge and maybe a little Baer to get whatever minutes are left from Cook at the four. That’s where he fits and belongs. That’s a tall task.

The problem is Fran thinks like some of you. I’ve got to get minutes for Cordell so let’s put him at the 3 where it’s not a fit. That’s the kind of stuff that created chaos last season and netted 4 us conference wins. Major college athletics is not a participating trophy experience. Cordell needs to beat out Cook and Nunge to play. I don’t see that either. He’s got to be one of the best 8-9 players to get consistent minutes which I’m not sold he is.

His biggest contribution to the team this year, will perhaps be, maintaining a good teammate attitude, while watching most of the action from the sidelines. These types of players are valuable and rare.

Exactly and if you try putting him at the 4 like I'm seeing suggested by some on here that doesn't work... He is like 210 lbs at the most. Name me a PF that he could guard? He's a 3 and maybe a 2 for certain stretches/matchups but in no way is he a PF. He's just not. Not at the offensive end and most certainly not at the defensive end. Play him for short bursts of time 2 to 4 mins and then give him a break. We have to maximize our players strengths and not try playing them where they don't fit... That goes for Nunge especially..
Duncan Robinson played mostly the 4 off the bench for the national runner up Michigan he was listed at 6’8/215.

Final four participant Kansas in essence started four guards, but their “4” man was Svi Mykhailiuk. He is listed at 6’8/205.

Final four participant Loyola Chicago also started four guards. Their starting “4” man was listed at 6’6/205.

The game of basketball is changing my friend. Post play has taken a backseat to the 3 point shot. For the most part only one true post is needed on the floor. Most teams are willing to give up contested two point shots and trade them for 3 point shots at the other end.

Last edited:
Duncan Robinson played mostly the 4 off the bench for the national runner up Michigan he was listed at 6’8/215.

Final four participant Kansas in essence started four guards, but their “4” man was Svi Mykhailiuk. He is listed at 6’8/205.

Final four participant Loyola Chicago also started four guards. Their starting “4” man was listed at 6’6/205.

The game of basketball is changing my friend. Post play has taken a backseat to the 3 point shot. For the most part only one true post is needed on the floor. Most teams are willing to give up contested two point shots and trade them for 3 point shots at the other end.

That’s a laughable comparison as both of those 2 players could hit the 3 from day 1 entering those programs.

We are talking about putting Cordell at a spot that requires major athleticism and a full featured game. Absolutely ridiculous to think Cordell could pull that off in 1 off season because he lost weight. That’s why we are Iowa and not Michigan or KU.