Paul Chryst out at Wisconsin.

If only fired coaches had Gary Barta as an AD then the world would be extensions and pay raises, lol.

Cannot make this up part 2...Paul Chryst went 67-26 at Wisky and got fired. Bo Pelini went 66-27 at Nebby and got fired.
What a world we live in.. Half the world is starving and homeless, and Universities (football programs) have millions of dollars to throw at fired football coaches. Sounds like up to 16 million for Chryst? God knows how much Nebraska is still paying former coaches. Yeah, yeah, I know all the booster crap & tv money. Still seems like priorities are way out of whack.

Make changes if you have someone on your staff that runs an ELITE defense. The current head coach was just collecting checks.
It’s obvious Wisconsin has been riding the coattails of Arnada, Leonard.

So pathetic, teams will fire coaches that are miles and miles better than Brian and he gets to keep his job forever.
Some teams have standards they want to meet and compete and win. Some teams are not developmental teams like we are and our head coach. Some teams fire their coach for mediocracy while others give raises and long-term commitments for mediocracy.

I think what's funny and really ironic is when Paul took over for Wisconsin in the same as Matt Campbell for Iowa State they both said they wanted to build teams like Iowa well little did they know once they got it built and they went into mediocracy that you would not be able to keep your job like kf for 20 odd years. Now I know Campbell hasn't been fired yet and nor will he but still he's going into the same Iowa direction.

Can’t fire a coach, it’s not the Iowa way. Well it wasn’t Wiskys way either but their adapting.
The Wisconsin way is for the head coach to mysteriously resign at Wisconsin and take a sideways move at another P5 school. Why in the world would Bielima leave Wisc for Ark or Anderson leave Wisc for Oregon St unless they were being sent subtle messages by King Barry. This time, they just decided to drop the subtle messages and flat out fire the HC, which is a $16M difference this time, which probably explains why Chryst wasn't going to resign.

Nebraska and Wisconsin are completely different, Nebraska is self destructing and is in the middle of fricken nowhere with mostly Omaha as it's recruiting base and with Kansas emerging it's only going to get more difficult for them. Wisconsin has a lot of talent in-state and is not a huge drive from Chicago so they can probably get away with going through coaches like water without having long term effects. But it's still a head scratcher, Chryst is a pretty good football coach and shouldn't have any problems landing on his feet.

I doubt Alberts makes a call to Chryst, Nebraska still thinks they are above going after a coach that has recently been fired from another job.

The Wisconsin way is for the head coach to mysteriously resign at Wisconsin and take a sideways move at another P5 school. Why in the world would Bielima leave Wisc for Ark or Anderson leave Wisc for Oregon St unless they were being sent subtle messages by King Barry. This time, they just decided to drop the subtle messages and flat out fire the HC, which is a $16M difference this time, which probably explains why Chryst wasn't going to resign.

There was a lot of smoke among the Badger fans when Bert bounced to Arkansas. Anderson was gonna get canned so he saved face and took the Oregon State job.

Are they firing Chryst to get rid of him or is the 2-3 start an excuse to make sure they get Leonhard as their HC before someone else gets him? We talk about how we don't want to lose LeVar Woods, but this is that x10.
This could be a move as Leonard is the interim. Maybe the decision was made to infuse some energy in the program to finish this year. If Leonard can do that and is successful, he'll be announced as the next HC. Kind of a no-brain call for Wisky, actually. Infuse the program giving a chance for a successful season. If they did not do this, it wasn't looking good for the rest of the year. Prob a smart move.

16 million buyout no problemo... I gotta say that was a bad loss for them Saturday. No doubt but was it a fireable offense based on all that he's done there? I can't go that far no way. So there's obviously some other stuff behind the scenes of why they made such a bold move now. Maybe he's got a strained relationship with their new AD? He didn't hire him obviously. Maybe they are just so gung ho on not losing Leonard that they decided this was how to keep him? To be a fly on the wall to know the reasons would be interesting.

These ADs and schools do know how this makes them look when they so casually fire coaches with solid resumes right? I mean Nebraska is over a decade into trying to dig out of their self inflicted mess. Careful what you wish for Wisky. It's bold I'll give em that.

Maybe Aranda's success at Baylor had something to do with this. They didn't want anyone to poach Leonard away and watch him have success at HC somewhere else. while they get stuck back in cheese land looking at a staffing rebuild with Chryst. Sucks for Chryst to get the boot though while he's looking at Kirk and Brian's ice cold seats sitting in a glass case, guarded by our mall security guard AD Gary Barta. Gary's got those diamond hands now after every home game sold out this year.

Actually, I wonder if the Nebraska job opening had the most to do with this? When thinking about it, he was rumored to be a candidate for that job. Maybe this is the proverbial olive branch to show they are serious about him being the HC at Wisky.

Some teams have standards they want to meet and compete and win. Some teams are not developmental teams like we are and our head coach. Some teams fire their coach for mediocracy while others give raises and long-term commitments for mediocracy.

It's funny as Wisky has always been one of the programs most similar to Iowa, going down to the style of play, culture and great fan support. Wisky was going to fill the seats in Camp Randall with a mediocre team similar to Iowa. Iowa will always have the fans because game day is a festival.

Wisky has shown that isn't enough on its own. Iowa has not at this point.

Last edited: