Patrick Stepping Away From Basketball

Friend just sent me his tweet. He has clearly not been his self on the court and I hope he can get his head right. There is more to life than this game, but sadly this is what he is known for outside his battle with cancer. This could make this team stronger or be the end of the season early.

Tough deal... As far as the team is concerned holy smokes. If he's out for very long this team is toast. Heck it may already be too late frankly. What are the odds Iowa makes the dance now? Is what it is as they say. Play the hand you're dealt. Fran has his work cut out for him

Tough deal... As far as the team is concerned holy smokes. If he's out for very long this team is toast. Heck it may already be too late frankly. What are the odds Iowa makes the dance now? Is what it is as they say. Play the hand you're dealt. Fran has his work cut out for him
Patrick left it out there but was clearly off. Time for him to clear his mind. Big opportunity for others.

Tough to deal with this as a young person in the public eye. Very courageous, as I'm sure it's hard for him to not feel that he's letting people down. Must be a very serious situation.
Nailed it. The fear of letting others down only fuels and exacerbates anxiety and related issues

Since Iowa St and the proceeding game, the team has really been struggling. Injuries, severe shooting slumps, trying to fill in holes in depth charts (lack of overall team height), losing a Top 4 Draft to the NBA, losing the all-time 3 pointer shooter in program history, the Sweet 16 monkey hanging over the program....

Maybe the goal for the rest of the year for this team really should be just having fun, trying to get better even if baby steps, and focusing on the next team on the schedule. Don't even worry about the NCAA tournament right now.

In all likelihood, this roster is not one that would go very far in March....at least based off of what we have seen, the lack of height, inconsistent or non-existent shooting out of pretty much all of the guards....they have KM and Rebraca....and Connor's experience...but just to many holes.

Hopefully Patrick can heal up and the rest of this team can somehow find a way to relax and not let a miss get into their heads. I'm hoping that the Penn St comeback was a good start in building some confidence. Iowa has the next 4 of 5 games at home so that could help with also building some confidence.

Bottomline, just relax, have fun, and use this year to grow.

Fans, if they have not already, probably also need to re-adjust expectations for this year moving forward.

I've commented in game threads and other threads that something seemed off, that players looked defeated and exhausted, that the emotion they did show was not joy, but a release of frustration.

If one of your best and most popular players has been battling this, there's no question it could resonate through the entire team, maybe even in practices.

While Pat needs to get himself collected first and foremost, don't be surprised if this turns the season around. This is the very type of thing a team can use as a rallying point.

Always have liked Patrick

Hope some rest and relaxation will allow him to settle put things in perspective, and
return to the team if he wants to

Last edited:

Latest posts