Pat Angerer Named New Color Analyst for Hawkeye Football.

Dolph I find very difficult to listen to nowadays
Dolph is like Dinty Moore beef stew.

It's pretty meh as food goes, but we all love it because it's a comfort food that middle class and poor folks grew up with. We don't love it for the food. We love it because it's consistent, and it reminds us of a simpler time when mom and dad both worked and there wasn't always time or money for home cooked stuff. But we still all gathered 'round the table with no cell phones and ate it together as a family with Cheers on the console TV in the living room and talked about our days, good or bad. It was the same taste, texture, and smell whether you ate it in 1970, 1980, or 1990. It brings us back the comfort of being a kid and all the memories that came with it because of consistency and nostalgia. You can't really pin it down, but you know that feeling.

Dolph isn't wow when it comes to radio announcing. But guys my age can remember every fall Saturday morning whether it's being out hunting, riding around town in Dad's '88 S-10 Blazer, raking leaves, bowling in a weekend tournament, or even walking around in Iowa City hearing that same voice in the air, and it's the exact same today as it was in '96. When I hear Dolph get the pregame broadcast started, I still get the same feeling I had as a kid in better times when my folks were still alive and I didn't have a job, or kids, or my own mortality to worry or think about.

Just like Dinty Moore beef stew.

When Dolph is gone I'm going to be very sad.

I actually saw Dinty Moore at the store yesterday. Created positive memories. Then I looked at the price.

I'll make my own.
I don't drink or smoke, so I'd just chalk it up to a recreational expense myself. But I get it.

Dolph is like Dinty Moore beef stew.

It's pretty meh as food goes, but we all love it because it's a comfort food that middle class and poor folks grew up with. We don't love it for the food. We love it because it's consistent, and it reminds us of a simpler time when mom and dad both worked and there wasn't always time or money for home cooked stuff. But we still all gathered 'round the table with no cell phones and ate it together as a family with Cheers on the console TV in the living room and talked about our days, good or bad. It was the same taste, texture, and smell whether you ate it in 1970, 1980, or 1990. It brings us back the comfort of being a kid and all the memories that came with it because of consistency and nostalgia. You can't really pin it down, but you know that feeling.

Dolph isn't wow when it comes to radio announcing. But guys my age can remember every crisp fall morning whether it's being out hunting, riding around town in Dad's '88 S-10 Blazer, raking leaves, bowling in a Saturday afternoon tournament, or even walking around in Iowa City hearing that exact same voice in the air, and it's the exact same today as it was in '96. When I hear Dolph get the pregame broadcast started, I still get the same feeling I had as a kid in better times when my folks were still alive and I didn't have a job, or kids, or my own mortality to worry or think about.

Just like Dinty Moore beef stew.

When Dolph is gone I'm going to be very sad.
Yeah obviously we were youngsters when Zabel was finishing up and it's easy to remember when Dolph took over. It was quite the deal when that went down cause Iowa had the rights dolled out to multiple radio outfits separately and Brooks and Gonders were left out in the cold. From our side of the state I only listed to Zabel pretty much.

Look around for some different Podcasts where Dolph has gone on with JBo and WUWs. He's a walking encyclopedia of everything Iowa. I could listen to his stories all day every day. I have fun just being reminded of things I'd forgotten let alone learning all the different things I hadn't heard before from him. Will definitely be a sad day when he hangs it up. No doubt about it

Last edited:
I don't dislike Dolph, but to me, Zabel was king. Always will be.

I don't dispute that at all and Zabel was the man. I just know that for the 45 and younger demographic, Dolph has pretty much always been our voice of the Hawks.

No different than Harry Caray and the Cubs (not that Dolph or Z was Harry Caray level). Caray had a predecessor and successor just like Dolph will eventually. He's a true blue Hawkeye whether someone likes him or not and until he decides to hang it up or can't physically do it anymore I feel like he's earned the right to the chair.

I listen to nebraska radio broadcasts from time to time on Z98 in Sioux City because I love to laugh at their misfortune, and I just can't believe how shitty it has to be for their fans to listen to their garbage announcers. It's like listening to two podiatrists talk over coffee about their preferred methods of plantar fasciitis treatment and why. It's just terrible.

We're a blessed fan base to have had two guys in a row who absolutely live, breathe, and bleed black and Old Gold.

One of the cooler things about Dolph too is how he has genuine relationships with players. A lot of them gravitate to him and he's had long lasting relationships with guys like JBo and his Dad. I'm surprised Dolph doesn't have his own POD. Even if it was just a once a month thing I'd sure listen to him talk to guests candidly. Not in the stuffy formal interview kinda way he does for the 'Fight for Iowa' pod he does. Hearing him when he's not 'on the clock' and more candid is way better I'm sure we'd all agree.

I don't drink or smoke, so I'd just chalk it up to a recreational expense myself. But I get it.

Good for you. Reminds me of a story a friend told me. She didn’t smoke but her husband does. She was frustrated with him and how much he was spending on that habit. She complained to him about it and he granted her the right to spend or save the same amount of money each time he bought cigs.

Then one day she told him she was going to fly to Europe on a vacation. He said no way we don’t have the money it’s way too expensive that’s thousands of dollars. She informed him that she already had the money saved up. He asked emphatically where and how she saved up that much money? You know where this is going, yep. She says it the cig money you said I could save or spend on myself every time you bought cigarettes. He was shocked.

I remember one of my first jobs about forty years ago was working at a convenience store called “Petro N Provisions” in Muscatine Iowa. It would always shock me on the cost of a carton of cigarettes and a twelve pack of beer when I rang it up on the cash register. Remember this was forty years ago and I am sure the prices have gone up.

Personally I wouldn’t know what it is now since I don’t smoke or drink either. Never smoked in my lifetime and only drank a few beers while riding around with my buds in the small community of Belle Plaine, Iowa where I grew up.

Just smiled when I visited recently to still see they still have that huge Hawkeye logo painted on the side of a building that stands out as you cross the railroad tracks near downtown Belle Plaine. The city seems dead now. Back during my high school days the small town was pretty busy.

I wonder if other small communities in Iowa have suffered the same way?

See my post above.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but you can stick the idea of Dolph needing to retire firmly in your rectal area.

Sideways.

You may be 107 years old so I'll give you a pass, but you had your Jim Zabel. And Dolph...good announcer or not...is our generation's Jim Zabel. Let us enjoy ours and stop telling us to get off your lawn.

I was fortunate to get to experience both of them. Dolph has his moments during the football games. He would make a call over the radio and make it would like a good long run. Then the refs would spot the ball for three yard gain.

Being a cubs fan I laughed at some of the calls of Harry Carey. “Hit deep, way way back, it could be, it might be, ohhhh he caught it up against the outfield wall!!!” No he didn’t he did t even get onto the warning track when the outfielder caught the ball. He got away with that on the radio but it didn’t work when watching it on tv, lol. I cut him some slack considering how old he was getting.

Yeah so many memories there with all three of those sports announcers. Was a privilege to get to experience their play calls, Jim, Harry, and Dolph.

Good for you. Reminds me of a story a friend told me. She didn’t smoke but her husband does. She was frustrated with him and how much he was spending on that habit. She complained to him about it and he granted her the right to spend or save the same amount of money each time he bought cigs.

Then one day she told him she was going to fly to Europe on a vacation. He said no way we don’t have the money it’s way too expensive that’s thousands of dollars. She informed him that she already had the money saved up. He asked emphatically where and how she saved up that much money? You know where this is going, yep. She says it the cig money you said I could save or spend on myself every time you bought cigarettes. He was shocked.

I remember one of my first jobs about forty years ago was working at a convenience store called “Petro N Provisions” in Muscatine Iowa. It would always shock me on the cost of a carton of cigarettes and a twelve pack of beer when I rang it up on the cash register. Remember this was forty years ago and I am sure the prices have gone up.

Personally I wouldn’t know what it is now since I don’t smoke or drink either. Never smoked in my lifetime and only drank a few beers while riding around with my buds in the small community of Belle Plaine, Iowa where I grew up.

Just smiled when I visited recently to still see they still have that huge Hawkeye logo painted on the side of a building that stands out as you cross the railroad tracks near downtown Belle Plaine. The city seems dead now. Back during my high school days the small town was pretty busy.

Yea, I think all small towns suffer. The young kids move on to college than an urban setting for their careers and raise families and never go back. I often wonder when back home "Where the hell do all these people work?". How do they all make a living?

Oh, and a sixer of a crappy pizz water is $8 plus. Prob $10-11 for Coors or Miller Lite or something. It's expensive indeed.

Dolph has 3 years left on his deal with Learfield, barring health issues, I am assuming, he is going to ride it out until then.

Now, I am going to start talking out of my ass. I am not a farmer, nor do I pretend to be one, but to stream a game on your phone in a $300,000 combine ain’t that hard. The role of radio isn’t what it use to be growing up in the 80’s and 90’s. I think Angerer will be awesome and Dolph’s eventual replacement will good as well…I just don’t know how the the future of radio fits in.

Unfortunately yes.. My hometown of Quimby is all but dead... It never was exactly hopping. But when I've gone back the last few yrs it's basically a retirement community. Their used to be 2 bars a bank a barber and a restaurant on main st. They had preschool taught at the community center (basically a 3 day a week daycare but still) Now there's none of that. 3 churches instead of 4 with the gas station fire station & post office is about all there is left. And the asbestos filled school I went to has been torn down for probably 15 yrs now already.

I cannot imagine how people think Dolph is very good at broadcasting. Iowa deserves better. He is a homer but aren't we all? There are better Homers.

Dolph has 3 years left on his deal with Learfield, barring health issues, I am assuming, he is going to ride it out until then.

Now, I am going to start talking out of my ass. I am not a farmer, nor do I pretend to be one, but to stream a game on your phone in a $300,000 combine ain’t that hard. The role of radio isn’t what it use to be growing up in the 80’s and 90’s. I think Angerer will be awesome and Dolph’s eventual replacement will good as well…I just don’t know how the the future of radio fits in.

True.

Unfortunately yes.. My hometown of Quimby is all but dead... It never was exactly hopping. But when I've gone back the last few yrs it's basically a retirement community. Their used to be 2 bars a bank a barber and a restaurant on main st. They had preschool taught at the community center (basically a 3 day a week daycare but still) Now there's none of that. 3 churches instead of 4 with the gas station fire station & post office is about all there is left. And the asbestos filled school I went to has been torn down for probably 15 yrs now already.
I think you are talking about my hometown I grew up in, exactly the same scenario.

It was never booming because it's a small town but it was active and bustling with a variety of services, bars, small businesses, etc. It was the proverbial small town that had one large factory in the so called "industrial park". Same thing, 5-6 churches, 2 bars, 1 bank, two gas stations. Now there is pretty much nothing downtown on Main St as far as shops, businesses, etc.. No local paper anymore. Hasn't been a grocery store for years. I worked in it my HS years. Businesses can't sustain or make it downtown in the small town anymore and the buildings are getting so dilapidated that it is not worth the $$$ or effort for anybody to fix up. It is really sad that we are losing our small towns. There's a freaking Walmart pretty much within 40 miles of everybody. When thinking about it, one could say Walmart really killed small town America. What I do really miss about living in a small town is the real sense of community, where most know or know of each other. This can be good and bad, though.

Yea, we had K-mart growing up and Targets, but when Walmart starting offering everything such as pharmacy and eventually groceries, people flocked to it for one stop shopping and cheaper prices. This absolutely killed small town grocers and mom and pop pharmacies.

Last edited:
I think you are talking about my hometown I grew up in, exactly the same scenario.

It was never booming because it's a small town but it was active and bustling with a variety of services, bars, small businesses, etc. It was the proverbial small town that had one large factory in the so called "industrial park". Same thing, 5-6 churches, 2 bars, 1 bank, two gas stations. Now there is pretty much nothing downtown on Main St as far as shops, businesses, etc.. No local paper anymore. Hasn't been a grocery store for years. I worked in it my HS years. Businesses can't sustain or make it downtown in the small town anymore and the buildings are getting so dilapidated that it is not worth the $$$ or effort for anybody to fix up. It is really sad that we are losing our small towns. There's a freaking Walmart pretty much within 40 miles of everybody. When thinking about it, one could say Walmart really killed small town America. What I do really miss about living in a small town is the real sense of community, where most know or know of each other. This can be good and bad, though.

Yea, we had K-mart growing up and Targets, but when Walmart starting offering everything such as pharmacy and eventually groceries, people flocked to it for one stop shopping and cheaper prices. This absolutely killed small town grocers and mom and pop pharmacies.
Yeah I bet Quimby had 300-320 people back when I grew up there in 80s and 90s. Now I doubt there's 250. They also had a small business called Simonsens I forgot that manufactured farm wagons but that'd been done even before I'd moved away. We always had to go to either Cherokee (12 mins) or Storm Lake (30 mins) to shop for food and most stuff. Or Sioux City (55 mins) if you really have $ burning a hole in your wallet and wanted to hit up Home Depot or the mall.

Folks just used to have their routines where 7:30 am the old farts showed up for coffee at Texaco to gossip and then at 8 their wives came in to do the same thing and stole their chairs. At happy hour folks went to bar to have a beer or two before heading home. I don't think any of that really goes on anymore. Everyone knew everyone. The generations of folks were all on first name basis with each other. I don't think there's many families with young kiddos there anymore...

Yeah I bet Quimby had 300-320 people back when I grew up there in 80s and 90s. Now I doubt there's 250. They also had a small business called Simonsens I forgot that manufactured farm wagons but that'd been done even before I'd moved away. We always had to go to either Cherokee (12 mins) or Storm Lake (30 mins) to shop for food and most stuff. Or Sioux City (55 mins) if you really have $ burning a hole in your wallet and wanted to hit up Home Depot or the mall.

Folks just used to have their routines where 7:30 am the old farts showed up for coffee at Texaco to gossip and then at 8 their wives came in to do the same thing and stole their chairs. At happy hour folks went to bar to have a beer or two before heading home. I don't think any of that really goes on anymore. Everyone knew everyone. The generations of folks were all on first name basis with each other. I don't think there's many families with young kiddos there anymore...
Having kids in a really small town is a nightmare. There's a whole bunch of them around me that are 200-300 people and there's literally nothing for them to do whatsoever. From the age of 0-16 they can't go anywhere unless mom and dad give them a 10 mile ride to town and pick them up at the end of the day, and that's on top of school and sports activities. No way would I have raised my kid in one of those towns Like you said there are fewer and fewer people to begin with, which means fewer kids to meet and play with, and there are way more school activities and sports going on now too. I seriously don't know how people do it unless you're just going to buy your kid a Playstation and tell them it's fine to sit in their room and lay in bed all day playing video games. All I know is every single kid I went to school with and lived in one of those little dinks hated it with a passion.

I think it's ok for adults and probably better in a lot of ways as far as peace and quiet, cheap properties, etc...but kids? After having one myself, no way.

Having kids in a really small town is a nightmare. There's a whole bunch of them around me that are 200-300 people and there's literally nothing for them to do whatsoever. From the age of 0-16 they can't go anywhere unless mom and dad give them a 10 mile ride to town and pick them up at the end of the day, and that's on top of school and sports activities. No way would I have raised my kid in one of those towns Like you said there are fewer and fewer people to begin with, which means fewer kids to meet and play with, and there are way more school activities and sports going on now too. I seriously don't know how people do it unless you're just going to buy your kid a Playstation and tell them it's fine to sit in their room and lay in bed all day playing video games. All I know is every single kid I went to school with and lived in one of those little dinks hated it with a passion.

I think it's ok for adults and probably better in a lot of ways as far as peace and quiet, cheap properties, etc...but kids? After having one myself, no way.
Myself and all 3 of my close friends lived on farms outside of town. I was 5 miles away on gravel. At least back then the kids that lived in town could be turned loose to play and not worry about half the stupid shit that people do now. They did have a park to shoot hoops on and playground stuff. Life was simpler 30 yrs ago. I have no clue how folks and families do what they do now. Not a clue

Latest posts