Pass % Completions

I am by no means a Petras fan boy, but I do believe he has better football in him than he has shown. He has a strong arm, is a great leader, and is smart. He has not demonstrated great accuracy, but that is something than can be improved with hard work. He has made the rounds this summer and hopefully worked on his footwork, form, and progressions.

Look, after seeing him for half a season, I never felt that Jake Christensen was ever going to get any better. I agree with Fry that some guys don't have the chops. And while I agree that Petras is never going to be great, I believe he can show better than he has. But, that does not just depend on his hard work, it also depends on the OL and his OC. A lot has to come together, but hey, August is a time for optimism boys!!!!

I am by no means a Petras fan boy, but I do believe he has better football in him than he has shown. He has a strong arm, is a great leader, and is smart. He has not demonstrated great accuracy, but that is something than can be improved with hard work. He has made the rounds this summer and hopefully worked on his footwork, form, and progressions.

Look, after seeing him for half a season, I never felt that Jake Christensen was ever going to get any better. I agree with Fry that some guys don't have the chops. And while I agree that Petras is never going to be great, I believe he can show better than he has. But, that does not just depend on his hard work, it also depends on the OL and his OC. A lot has to come together, but hey, August is a time for optimism boys!!!!

Good post. Agree. I'm not giving up on him by any means. I think he can be a good QB if everything is shored up around him. He needs the protection.

If I gave him advice or he is reading this, it would be don't worry about last season or what some fans (most who have never played the game or at this level) are saying. Play loose and take the bull by the horns. Trust your teammates and your arm. Bad plays are going to happen from time-to-time. Learn from the bad plays than just flush them. The best QB's flush the bad plays and not let it bother them. Stanzi was actually very good at this. Stanzi would thow a pick 6 (sometimes every game) and the very next drive lead the team on a drive for a TD, or throw a TD. It's what good QB's do. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You aren't going to win the game yourself. Iowa does not have the QB's win the game for the team. Just lead and manage the drives and you'll be OK kid. Have fun.

It's always been measured that way, but doesn't mean it's valid to measure QBs. For a long time it was the only viable way to measure QB yards.

Now, though, with automated stats gathering by computers, it's pretty easy to measure actual pass yards, i.e. where it's caught. They can even track a runner live down to the inch, with MPH, acceleration, and tons of other stuff.

Yeah, but most of the people that do that (e.g. PFF) don't share the data. I remember a PFF Twitter post about BIG QBs and depth-of-target a few years back (I think Stanley was #4 or 5), but damned if I can ever find similar data anywhere online.

Look at the 2002 Wisky and NU games on YouTube. Banks had a wicked-fast first step and could burn you with the run. Something we haven't seen in an Iowa QB bince.

Good post. Agree. I'm not giving up on him by any means. I think he can be a good QB if everything is shored up around him. He needs the protection.

If I gave him advice or he is reading this, it would be don't worry about last season or what some fans (most who have never played the game or at this level) are saying. Play loose and take the bull by the horns. Trust your teammates and your arm. Bad plays are going to happen from time-to-time. Learn from the bad plays than just flush them. The best QB's flush the bad plays and not let it bother them. Stanzi was actually very good at this. Stanzi would thow a pick 6 (sometimes every game) and the very next drive lead the team on a drive for a TD, or throw a TD. It's what good QB's do. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You aren't going to win the game yourself. Iowa does not have the QB's win the game for the team. Just lead and manage the drives and you'll be OK kid. Have fun.

Everything you stated sounds great, but if he can't get out of his own head...none of it matters. NS was 27-12 as a starter...yet he never quite figured it out and I think Petras is heading down the same path.

Everything you stated sounds great, but if he can't get out of his own head...none of it matters. NS was 27-12 as a starter...yet he never quite figured it out and I think Petras is heading down the same path.
True.

But, that's what I would tell him.

Man, the criticalness here astounds. Stanley is a three year starter, wins 10 games a year and gets drafted to play in the NFL, yet he "never quite figured it out"? Figured what out? How to be one of the 5 best QBs in the country? Did Lindy never figure out how to have longer arms? Did Bob Sanders never figure out how to be taller? Did McNutt never figure out how to run faster?

To paraphrase a scene from Moneyball, at some point, every athlete is told they are no longer good enough to keep playing the game. I would say Nate Stanley made it pretty god damn far. I would take a Nate Stanley QB every year at Iowa. (Unless Brad Banks was available, but you get the point)

Man, the criticalness here astounds. Stanley is a three year starter, wins 10 games a year and gets drafted to play in the NFL, yet he "never quite figured it out"? Figured what out? How to be one of the 5 best QBs in the country? Did Lindy never figure out how to have longer arms? Did Bob Sanders never figure out how to be taller? Did McNutt never figure out how to run faster?

To paraphrase a scene from Moneyball, at some point, every athlete is told they are no longer good enough to keep playing the game. I would say Nate Stanley made it pretty god damn far. I would take a Nate Stanley QB every year at Iowa. (Unless Brad Banks was available, but you get the point)

Calm down.

We throw around terms like "game manager" or "serviceable"...IMO, there will be 3,4,5 games this year where Petras will have to be more than that. Sorry homie, if some of us push back on a guy who is a 3 year starter and has never passed for more than 210 yards in a game.

As for NS, he won 69% of his games, which is good, but it is the 3 or 4 he left on the table that are the legacy changers. So yeah, I don't think he quite "figured it out".

Calm down.

We throw around terms like "game manager" or "serviceable"...IMO, there will be 3,4,5 games this year where Petras will have to be more than that. Sorry homie, if some of us push back on a guy who is a 3 year starter and has never passed for more than 210 yards in a game.

As for NS, he won 69% of his games, which is good, but it is the 3 or 4 he left on the table that are the legacy changers. So yeah, I don't think he quite "figured it out".
Its a matter of perspective. Here is a three year starter who averaged a 9-4 record in the second toughest conference in the country. Let's look at any QB at Iowa or the teams we play regularly. Who has "figured it out" in recent times? Beatherd is probably the closest thing at Iowa. He came within a yard of leading Iowa to the playoffs, but that game was nearly won by the defense, not CJ. Who else? Russell Wilson? He is great, but he was a one-year rental for Wisconsin. Beyond that, name a truly great college QB in Iowa's competitive sphere in recent times.

In college football, a really great game manager QB is damn hard to find. A truly dynamic college QB who will come to this area of the country is a fucking unicorn.

People who don't see success at 9-4 are the same people who fired Bo Pelini because he just didn't win enough. How's that going? Nate Stanley was a very good Iowa QB. In fact, IMHO, if we had Stanley last year, with that defense and special teams, we would have gone undefeated into that game against Michigan, and then who knows.

Its a matter of perspective. Here is a three year starter who averaged a 9-4 record in the second toughest conference in the country. Let's look at any QB at Iowa or the teams we play regularly. Who has "figured it out" in recent times? Beatherd is probably the closest thing at Iowa. He came within a yard of leading Iowa to the playoffs, but that game was nearly won by the defense, not CJ. Who else? Russell Wilson? He is great, but he was a one-year rental for Wisconsin. Beyond that, name a truly great college QB in Iowa's competitive sphere in recent times.

In college football, a really great game manager QB is damn hard to find. A truly dynamic college QB who will come to this area of the country is a fucking unicorn.

People who don't see success at 9-4 are the same people who fired Bo Pelini because he just didn't win enough. How's that going? Nate Stanley was a very good Iowa QB. In fact, IMHO, if we had Stanley last year, with that defense and special teams, we would have gone undefeated into that game against Michigan, and then who knows.
Stanley choked every big game in his career other than a fluke against OSU. He could beat the Indianas and Marylands of the league all day long, but any semi-big game he couldn't get it done.

vs. OSU 1-0
vs. Penn State 0-3
vs. Wisconsin 0-3
vs. Michigan 0-1
vs. Michigan State 0-1

Stanzi had the "it" factor or moxi if you will. He just had what it took. He had confidence and the ability to flush the bad plays.

Calm down.

What does that even mean?
Sounds like a description of a potential blind date: "She has good hygiene!"

Stanley choked every big game in his career other than a fluke against OSU. He could beat the Indianas and Marylands of the league all day long, but any semi-big game he couldn't get it done.

vs. OSU 1-0
vs. Penn State 0-3
vs. Wisconsin 0-3
vs. Michigan 0-1
vs. Michigan State 0-1
I guess when you throw out the most important variable that disproves your point, you can really land the argument. I mean other than that gun thing, Mrs. Lincoln was a big fan of the play that night. :)

Stanley won the games he should and lost the games he should. Your stats show me that Iowa under Stanley did poorly against the good teams in the East and Wisconsin. Where have I seen that pattern before? Oh wait, every thread on this board. Indeed, those losses don't exactly distinguish him from just about every damn Iowa player for the last decade. He also wasn't the only guy on the field underperforming for those games.

I stand by my statement that with Stanley at the helm we go undefeated in the regular season last year. A solid game manager was all that was needed with that D and special teams last year.

I guess when you throw out the most important variable that disproves your point, you can really land the argument. I mean other than that gun thing, Mrs. Lincoln was a big fan of the play that night. :)

Stanley won the games he should and lost the games he should. Your stats show me that Iowa under Stanley did poorly against the good teams in the East and Wisconsin. Where have I seen that pattern before? Oh wait, every thread on this board. Indeed, those losses don't exactly distinguish him from just about every damn Iowa player for the last decade. He also wasn't the only guy on the field underperforming for those games.

I stand by my statement that with Stanley at the helm we go undefeated in the regular season last year. A solid game manager was all that was needed with that D and special teams last year.

I mean Fryowa has a point. The guy was 1-8 in those games. I understand what you are saying as he wasn't the only guy on the field and there are other factors to play into it, such as play calling, etc., but, C'mon.

Put into perspective, Iowa consistently has a pretty good defense that gets turnovers, often times giving their offense decent field position. One can state the opposite conditions or situations to offset your argument as well.

I suppose what needs to be done is put Stanley's stat #'s beside each game noted for evaluation.

Actually, I think Iowa has one of the better records against cross division teams over time.

Last edited:
I guess when you throw out the most important variable that disproves your point, you can really land the argument. I mean other than that gun thing, Mrs. Lincoln was a big fan of the play that night.
That joke was funny the first 85 years that lawyers used it in an argument. You can do better than that. Apply yourself.

Absolutely laughable. Nate Stanley visibly shit his pants in every big game he played in other than OSU; you must not have watched any of those games throughout his career. He was the exact opposite of a game manager when it mattered most. Against the Rutgers and Illinois of the league there is margin for error by the quarterback. Against really good teams there is not.

Nate the Great would've shit the bed last year against Penn State and Wisconsin. He couldn't handle games of that magnitude (Penn State) and must-win division games (Wisconsin). When the pressure was on, he was off.

That joke was funny the first 85 years that lawyers used it in an argument. You can do better than that. Apply yourself.

Absolutely laughable. Nate Stanley visibly shit his pants in every big game he played in other than OSU; you must not have watched any of those games throughout his career. He was the exact opposite of a game manager when it mattered most. Against the Rutgers and Illinois of the league there is margin for error by the quarterback. Against really good teams there is not.

Nate the Great would've shit the bed last year against Penn State and Wisconsin. He couldn't handle games of that magnitude (Penn State) and must-win division games (Wisconsin). When the pressure was on, he was off.

And he was the proverbial "statue" of epic proportions. Last year with Iowa's O-line play, I don't think he would have fared much better.

To say Iowa would have went undefeated is laughable and a stretch. Stanley was a nice college QB who was limited with his legs. He was a serviceable QB for Iowa's game.

vs. OSU 1-0
vs. Penn State 0-3
vs. Wisconsin 0-3
vs. Michigan 0-1
vs. Michigan State 0-1
Facts be facts... He did beat USC in the bowl game shouldn't take that away from him. In fact I think he won all 3 bowl games he was in. But yeah he left meat on that bone within the league. Especially against Wisconsin he of all people wanted to win those

I am with @NorthKCHawk , I think Stanley is under-rated by most Iowa fans, and we would have been much better with him last year. He made plenty of big plays against Iowa State, Minnesota, and Nebraska, and last I checked, those were pretty big games.

Check out this recap of the 2019 ISU game for some excellent Stanley plays. He wasn't perfect, so if that is the bar, rip away. But there are a lot of winning plays made in that game.

And this is a highlight film, so of course it leaves out the bad plays. But you will see lots of good throws in games that mattered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJC3tnt1Yk

It is hard to get some of his bad misses out of your head (he cut way down on those his senior year). But on the whole, he was a really good QB for us.

I am with @NorthKCHawk , I think Stanley is under-rated by most Iowa fans, and we would have been much better with him last year. He made plenty of big plays against Iowa State, Minnesota, and Nebraska, and last I checked, those were pretty big games.

Check out this recap of the 2019 ISU game for some excellent Stanley plays. He wasn't perfect, so if that is the bar, rip away. But there are a lot of winning plays made in that game.

And this is a highlight film, so of course it leaves out the bad plays. But you will see lots of good throws in games that mattered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJC3tnt1Yk

It is hard to get some of his bad misses out of your head (he cut way down on those his senior year). But on the whole, he was a really good QB for us.
That ISU game was his first road start and he played lights out. He wasn't a game manager in that one by any means. It's just fair to say he was inconsistent. But his highs were pretty damn high all things considered.