Pass % Completions

Does predictability in play calling affect this? If so, it makes Petras' #s look much worse. The offense (outside of audibles) has been less predictable (but still more than most teams) the last 2 years than the previous 8.

Everything also has to be looked at in context. I bet Banks had more big plays/yards/play. With a significantly better Oline and running game he didn't have to be as accurate to be more effective. Stanzi had DJK and McNutt there's never been a better duo of WRs at Iowa at the same time. They got chunk plays all the time. Our current WRs aren't anywhere close to as good. Hence we are where we are

I dunno man. Banks had C.J Jones, Ed Hinkel, Maurice Brown and Clinton Solomon. Solomon was a freshman that season. That was a pretty stout WR unit and might be the best unit in Iowa's history. In particular, I remember Brown and Solomon getting deep on many balls and for TD's. Solomon might have been in his later years though, but he did have 14 rec with an average of 11.4 yrds that season. Brown had 48 rec, 966 yrds with an average of 20.1 yds per rec.

Throw in that mix Dallas Clark.

I dunno man. Banks had C.J Jones, Ed Hinkel, Maurice Brown and Clinton Solomon. Solomon was a freshman that season. That was a pretty stout WR unit and might be the best unit in Iowa's history. In particular, I remember Brown and Solomon getting deep on many balls and for TD's. Solomon might have been in his later years though, but he did have 14 rec with an average of 11.4 yrds that season. Brown had 48 rec, 966 yrds with an average of 20.1 yds per rec.

Throw in that mix Dallas Clark.
True CJ and Brown and Clark were awesome. Soloman didn't do much early on as you noted. But who was Stanzi's TE with DJK and McNutt was it Moeaki and Myers? I'd say those groups were close but I'd still lean towards the group Stanzi had but it's not by a wide margin with talent.

Stats wise DJK and McNutt did a lot more yards catches TDs you name it. They each had over 2600 yards in their careers with 45 TDs combined not counting the TEs. The others didn't touch that. Imagine if DJK wasn't an idiot and if McNut had started out as a WR day 1. They coulda had even more impressive stats as crazy as they were (by Iowa standards)

Last edited:
Does predictability in play calling affect this? If so, it makes Petras' #s look much worse. The offense (outside of audibles) has been less predictable (but still more than most teams) the last 2 years than the previous 8.
Could you see Petras being successful in a more prolific offense? QB sneak?

Everything also has to be looked at in context. I bet Banks had more big plays/yards/play. With a significantly better Oline and running game he didn't have to be as accurate to be more effective. Stanzi had DJK and McNutt there's never been a better duo of WRs at Iowa at the same time. They got chunk plays all the time. Our current WRs aren't anywhere close to as good. Hence we are where we are
Ya, Clark outrunning Purdue DBs for 90 yards!

Kind of like the age old question. Which came first?1660670766642.png

Ya, Clark outrunning Purdue DBs for 90 yards!
Yeah Petras had one 45 yarder to Ragaini and the 40 something yarder to Laporta in the bowl game and a couple to Johnson and that was about it for big plays that I remember off the top of my head.

Banks had a bunch from Clark, Jones & Brown.

Yeah Petras had one 45 yarder to Ragaini and the 40 something yarder to Laporta in the bowl game and a couple to Johnson and that was about it for big plays that I remember off the top of my head.

Banks had a bunch from Clark, Jones & Brown.

I took your 40 yard play as a rule and looked them up for last season:

vs. Colorado St., Petras to Keegan Johnson for 43 yd TD.
vs. Colorado St., Petras to Keegan Johnson for 49 yd 1st down.
vs. Maryland, Petras to Goodson for a 67 yd TD.
vs. Penn St., Petras to Ragaini for a 44 yd TD.
vs. Minnesota, Padilla to Jones for a 72 yd TD.

That's all the pass plays for 40+ yards last year. There were a LOT more of 25 to 40 yards, but I just chose 40.

I took your 40 yard play as a rule and looked them up for last season:

vs. Colorado St., Petras to Keegan Johnson for 43 yd TD.
vs. Colorado St., Petras to Keegan Johnson for 49 yd 1st down.
vs. Maryland, Petras to Goodson for a 67 yd TD.
vs. Penn St., Petras to Ragaini for a 44 yd TD.
vs. Minnesota, Padilla to Jones for a 72 yd TD.

That's all the pass plays for 40+ yards last year. There were a LOT more of 25 to 40 yards, but I just chose 40.
That’s not a great metric because yards after catch are completely on the WR. For example, Petras didn’t launch the ball 67 yards to Goodson against Maryland. A QB gets credit for everything after the catch even if he throws it 3yds.

That’s not a great metric because yards after catch are completely on the WR. For example, Petras didn’t launch the ball 67 yards to Goodson against Maryland. A QB gets credit for everything after the catch even if he throws it 3yds.
Exactly. Hence why I didn't consider the Goodson play it was just a simple arrow route out of the backfield with the worst D imaginable being played on it. If a QB can't make a 7 yard throw right in front of him how's he got a D1 scholarship?

The plays to Johnson Ragaini and Jones from Padilla were legit down the field plays though. But that's just a small handful of plays. There's teams doing close to that every game and that was our whole season.

Yea, but that's just a known thing and how it is always measured. Obviously, not many QB's are chucking it 60 yrds. It still shows how potent a QB's downfield passing game is, or how much it is not.

Yea, but that's just a known thing and how it is always measured. Obviously, not many QB's are chucking it 60 yrds. It still shows how potent a QB's downfield passing game is, or how much it is not.
It's always been measured that way, but doesn't mean it's valid to measure QBs. For a long time it was the only viable way to measure QB yards.

Now, though, with automated stats gathering by computers, it's pretty easy to measure actual pass yards, i.e. where it's caught. They can even track a runner live down to the inch, with MPH, acceleration, and tons of other stuff.

It's always been measured that way, but doesn't mean it's valid to measure QBs. For a long time it was the only viable way to measure QB yards.

Now, though, with automated stats gathering by computers, it's pretty easy to measure actual pass yards, i.e. where it's caught. They can even track a runner live down to the inch, with MPH, acceleration, and tons of other stuff.

But, it can also be indicative of the accuracy of a QB, especially hitting the receiver on the run where the receiver doesn't have to break stride. When receivers have to slow down or change their route to catch a ball, they often don't get the YAC's. QB's are a part of a successful long pass play.

But, to your point, there are some especially athletic receivers who help and can help a QB's long passing stat, for sure.

Is the OL thing overrated? When has the O-line been good as an entire unit? A lot of really nice pieces and those guys are collecting NFL checks, but I am talking as a unit. Iowa down by 6, 2 minutes left...can Petras go 10 plays, 80 yards without getting happy feet?
I don't think it is overrated. And, we obviously had the greatest line ever in 2002. There were some great lines during the Shonn Greene era. 2015 was salty.

Last year proves the point. We had one of the greatest collegiate centers in a generation, but the other pieces were not good enough. They were not ready. We lose our star center, but as a whole, I think the line will be better because it is older, bigger and more experienced as a whole. We shall see.

If Iowa's offense is to return to mediocrity, it has to start with a much improved OL, IMHO.