So L's articles explain the following:

Padilla/Petras

Comp: 220
Att: 400
Comp % : 55%
YDS: 2516
TDS: 12
Int: 11

3 TD passes thrown in the last 8 games. Is all that explained by Ragini dropping a few balls? Better yet, how do those numbers improve this year?

They don't if Brian is running the show.
I fully expect a focus on running the ball this year, less emphasis on passing. If Iowa can run the ball effectively, big if, it should put less pressure on Petras. I think that's the idea. We have bruising backs right now and three quality TE's so it could work. Petras only has to hit a few passes that he consistently missed last year to make this offense work. Petras biggest issue is mental. He has two to three plays every game that he just has to make and overthrows or throws late. Stats don't mean as much to me as a player making a play that has been set up and executing consistently. A good QB makes the play even if the play isn't perfectly executed. So far Petras hasn't been able to do that.

Last edited:
KF's QB's by career completion percentage:

1. Tate 61.0
2. Rudock 60.3
3. Stanzi 59.8
4. Mccann 59.2
5. Stanley 58.3
6. Banks 58.3
7. Beathard 58.1
8. Petras 57.2
9. Vandenberg 57.1
10. Christensen 54.9
11. Reiners 54.9
12. Mullen 54.5
13. Chandler 54.1

I fully expect a focus on running the ball this year, less emphasis on passing. If Iowa can run the ball effectively, big if, it should put less pressure on Petras. I think that's the idea. We have bruising backs right now and three quality TE's so it could work. Petras only has to hit a few passes that he consistently missed last year to make this offense work. Petras biggest issue is mental. He has two to three plays every game that he just has to make and overthrows or throws late. Stats don't mean as much to me as a player making a play that has been set up and executing consistently. A good QB makes the play even if the play isn't perfectly executed. So far Petras hasn't been able to do that.
That is our focus every year.
(It was also Bob Commings' focus every year in the '70's)
Given our lack of offensive success with this strategy, perhaps we should try something different?

Last edited:
That is our focus every year.
(It was also Bob Commings' focus every year in the '70's)
Given our lack of offensive success with this strategy, perhaps we should try something different?
I didn't say that's what I wanted that's what I expect from this coaching staff. I remember the days when a Fry run heavy team would show up with announcers predicting a run heavy offense for the day then Fry would come out and throw all day catching the opposition with their pants down. Unpredictability, what a novel ideal.

If Petras is a place holder for the incoming frosh, Im good. This is usually the best year for a QB in this system. Otherwise start Labas, Really, the QB in this system just has to find the TE,

I didn't say that's what I wanted that's what I expect from this coaching staff. I remember the days when a Fry run heavy team would show up with announcers predicting a run heavy offense for the day then Fry would come out and throw all day catching the opposition with their pants down. Unpredictability, what a novel ideal.
Something we need to remember is to scratch where it itches

I fully expect a focus on running the ball this year, less emphasis on passing.

Iowa was emphasizing passing last year? Iowa passed on 46% of their plays last year, good for 70th in the country. Only Rutgers, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota passed at a smalle perecentage in the Big 10.

Iowa was emphasizing passing last year? Iowa passed on 46% of their plays last year, good for 70th in the country. Only Rutgers, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota passed at a smalle perecentage in the Big 10.
Yes, but the passing game is at times used as a form of running game.