Paid App

Thanks for the feedback. I think there can be an annual option as well as monthly...wold be a lesser price for the annual option.

I realize that it wouldn't be something everyone would go for. My thought is that those who really want the app, there would be an option for them. I'd still prefer people view the site and therefore the ads, but at least there would be an option for those who want access via an app. The app has to pay for itself, otherwise it's just not coming back because it's a revenue cannibal.

All in all, everything will remain free to access on the site. No one will be forced to pay to access the boards or the content. Those who wish to consume the site via the confines of an app will have the ability to do that. Those who don't want to pay for something like that won't have to, because the site will still be free.

I make it a point to click on ads when I view the site with my laptop, unfortunately that isn't very often these days. I've like to help generate revenue for the site and use the full site version with a mobile device. If your tech could make it so ad views with a mobile device count as a view I would be more than happy to click on ads every day.

Edit: I just logged on with my laptop with FF and Chrome but no ads appeared. I then tried to log on with IE but gave up on that damn thing.

Last edited:
I have no problem paying for it if its good. But you better damn well have it perfect or close to it before you start charging folks. If it rolls out and it dont work well proles can be pretty vindictive. Id hate to see your reputation ruined by a bunch of whiny HN members.

I have no problem paying for it if its good. But you better damn well have it perfect or close to it before you start charging folks. If it rolls out and it dont work well proles can be pretty vindictive. Id hate to see your reputation ruined by a bunch of whiny HN members.

There's a lot of those for sure.

I make it a point to click on ads when I view the site with my laptop, unfortunately that isn't very often these days. I've like to help generate revenue for the site and use the full site version with a mobile device. If your tech could make it so ad views with a mobile device count as a view I would be more than happy to click on ads every day.

Edit: I just logged on with my laptop with FF and Chrome but no ads appeared. I then tried to log on with IE but gave up on that damn thing.

I believe he has mentioned in the past this is not a pay-per-click site. Therefore just going to the site has the same effect as clicking on the ads.

I have no problem paying for it if its good. But you better damn well have it perfect or close to it before you start charging folks. .

1. It would be a monthly option at first. If ppl don't like it, they'd be out a few dollars. As in less than 3
2. The content on the app would be available for free via the traditional web browser route; this would be a convenience/choice of consumption route if some wanted to use that.

So all in all, we'll want to make sure its quality with full functionality. But in the end, there won't be anything on the app that is not available to everyone for free. So that pretty much eliminates the need for a complaint box. I will probably use the app when on my mobile phone. I have found myself looking for my app button the last week or so like others. That thing was clocking over a a half million page views in some months, just via the app. So it was certainly being used.

Oh geez I wouldn't do that if I were you.

If the app is subscription-based, then I assume there will be zero screen space dedicated to ads? Or will there still be an ad at the top/bottom of the page?