Paging JD Miller

S

Scorpio79

I just snuck a peek at le new CyFan. It seems like an improvement, but I'm not sure if that's because it is new/different, or truly better. (I will not spend enough time there to find an answer to my question.)

Is that the new Vbulletin format that you have in mind for HN?
Inquiring minds need to know.

I just snuck a peek at le new CyFan. It seems like an improvement, but I'm not sure if that's because it is new/different, or truly better. (I will not spend enough time there to find an answer to my question.)

Is that the new Vbulletin format that you have in mind for HN?
Inquiring minds need to know.

Yes and no.

first, the content portion of CF will not be what ours looks like. Nor will we have as many ads.

Second, the forum software they upgraded to is the forum software we will be upgrading to. But there is so much customization with that, it's not a 'that's what we are doing' type of comparison.

Do roll around under the hood though, on your user page, etc. vBulletin 4.2 is so full of good stuff.

Also, we have no choice but to upgrade..support for this version of vBulletin, which is at least 6 years old, is dying..which means at some point late this year, security issues go up.

Yes and no.

1. first, the content portion of CF will not be what ours looks like. Nor will we have as many ads.

2. Second, the forum software they upgraded to is the forum software we will be upgrading to. But there is so much customization with that, it's not a 'that's what we are doing' type of comparison.

3 .Do roll around under the hood though, on your user page, etc. vBulletin 4.2 is so full of good stuff.

4. Also, we have no choice but to upgrade..support for this version of vBulletin, which is at least 6 years old, is dying..which means at some point late this year, security issues go up.

1. Content and ads, I didn't think you'd be anywhere close to the same, but thanks for confirming (relief!).
2. I like how the core software looks, and I am excited to see what kind of customization you overlay.
3. Can't get under the hood; banned.
4. The sooner the better, pls.

1. Content and ads, I didn't think you'd be anywhere close to the same, but thanks for confirming (relief!).
2. I like how the core software looks, and I am excited to see what kind of customization you overlay.

JD, could you please PM Scorpion your log in password so he can get under the hood and give us more feedback.;)

Scorp, What kind of feedback did you get from BK Stacker on the new look.

Le Stack and I are not in regular contact, unfortunately.
I may stop by his...err, "office"...when I'm in Iowa City in October, though. :cool:

Cyfan looks pretty cool. There are some good features but I felt gross being over there.

I'm shocked! :rolleyes:

what will take the most getting used to is the forums all segregated into topics Mens BBall, Football, Off Topic etc. Vs. the way it was where all threads are currently listed. I will miss that, so enjoy it while you have it. and if you can build that design into the new set up there will be less constipation among users.

what will take the most getting used to is the forums all segregated into topics Mens BBall, Football, Off Topic etc. Vs. the way it was where all threads are currently listed. I will miss that, so enjoy it while you have it. and if you can build that design into the new set up there will be less constipation among users.

click the forums tab, or set your bookmark to cyclonefanatic.com/forum/forum

click the forums tab, or set your bookmark to cyclonefanatic.com/forum/forum

Well done Mr. Frank. I didn't realize that was a clickable event. Now with that feature I'd expect the transition to be more smooth. There are more things that need explored. Thank You!!

On the front page of the site, under forums, it says new post...that takes you to the mixer view too

CycloneFanatic

But Frank's link is a good bookmark. We'll have the hybrid mix too...we tried going without before, and the peeps were vocal so I listened ;)