Padilla…”What’s the upside?”

Despite Padilla's intial jitters, I think he has more upside than Petras in the remaining games.
It really doesn't matter. To overcome the line issues and play calling the Hawks need someone who has "moxy". None of the 2 that we've seen have that. I would only guess that they are better than Labas.

The coaches knew going in what they had and didn't pick up a starting lineman that can lead by experience and a QB. Don't get your hopes up.

It really doesn't matter. To overcome the line issues and play calling the Hawks need someone who has "moxy". None of the 2 that we've seen have that. I would only guess that they are better than Labas.

The coaches knew going in what they had and didn't pick up a starting lineman that can lead by experience and a QB. Don't get your hopes up.
We know it doesn't matter but ya gotta start someone.

He definitely moved better when he needed to. For some reason as a fan I felt more comfortable with Padilla.

The team scored 0 points in the second half when Padilla played. 0. We scored 10 in the first half with Petras in. The answer is clear. Brian was right. The fans (except me) were wrong. Labas is our only hope.

How many reps has Padilla had with the first team this year? Comparing that to third year Petras is fair?
Knowing that Petras isn’t moving the needle they could have had Padilla starting 6 weeks ago gaining experience against South Dakota and not Ohio State.

The team scored 0 points in the second half when Padilla played. 0. We scored 10 in the first half with Petras in. The answer is clear. Brian was right. The fans (except me) were wrong. Labas is our only hope.

The offense didn't score shit. Same as with Padilla.

Padilla = Petras
Padilla will be here next year and needs experience. Petras is a lame duck.
The question is Padilla or Labas?

Last edited:
We know it doesn't matter but ya gotta start someone.
Exactly.. I think Petras has lost that privilege. Mentally I think he's broken and was after the Michigan game. This staff did him dirty so bad continuing to throw him out there all yr when everyone including him knew he shouldn't have been.

Nobody has delusions of grandeur that Padilla can do much more. He wasn't given the reps with the 1st team to get up to speed to really know what he's capable of all this time. It's so ridiculously tough to make a change at halftime of a game like that at this point in season with a QB that's had next to no reps with the guys he's out there with since like what? August? And even then I bet he had limited reps. So no Padilla won't be Drew Tate out there down the stretch but he should get the chance.

For those that say let's see Labas I wouldn't be against that at all. But again if he's had next to no reps running with the 1st team he wouldn't be setup for success at all either and that could be pretty ugly too. So it's just a pick your poison thing.

Exactly.. I think Petras has lost that privilege. Mentally I think he's broken and was after the Michigan game. This staff did him dirty so bad continuing to throw him out there all yr when everyone including him knew he shouldn't have been.

Nobody has delusions of grandeur that Padilla can do much more. He wasn't given the reps with the 1st team to get up to speed to really know what he's capable of all this time. It's so ridiculously tough to make a change at halftime of a game like that at this point in season with a QB that's had next to no reps with the guys he's out there with since like what? August? And even then I bet he had limited reps. So no Padilla won't be Drew Tate out there down the stretch but he should get the chance.

For those that say let's see Labas I wouldn't be against that at all. But again if he's had next to no reps running with the 1st team he wouldn't be setup for success at all either and that could be pretty ugly too. So it's just a pick your poison thing.
Padilla wasn’t great, but 1) consider the circumstances , and 2) he at least moved better than Petras and got rid of the goddamned ball when he needed to.

Getting tossed in cold turkey against OSU’s defense ain’t exactly conducive to great results from anyone. Hopefully they start him at NW (doubtful) and let him see what he can do with less pressure and more opportunities for open receivers.

Padilla wasn’t great, but 1) consider the circumstances , and 2) he at least moved better than Petras and got rid of the goddamned ball when he needed to.

Getting tossed in cold turkey against OSU’s defense ain’t exactly conducive to great results from anyone. Hopefully they start him at NW (doubtful) and let him see what he can do with less pressure and more opportunities for open receivers.
I'm at the point where I'm not sure what'd surprise me. I could see them making the change or sticking with Petras. I'm sure people will be curious who's getting the reps with the 1s this week leading up to it.

I'm at the point where I'm not sure what'd surprise me. I could see them making the change or sticking with Petras. I'm sure people will be curious who's getting the reps with the 1s this week leading up to it.
Petras isn't the answer. Petras gets sacked and makes really bad and REALLY amazing throws.

Padilla avoids initial sacks but takes one anyway or throws it away

Petras stays in the game and OSU likely doesn't get into the 40s.

Petras isn't the answer. Petras gets sacked and makes really bad and REALLY amazing throws.

Petras probably doesn't fumble that first snap like Padilla did and maybe he doesn't throw that bad INT deep in our territory either. But he wasn't going to drive them down for any points either. The what if game of dominos is always tough to say. But regardless we weren't winning that game or keeping it close.

I'll never get out of my head how bad Petras stats were at the end of the 1st q. He was 0-3 with a pick and fumble yet was up 7-3. For the last couple yrs Iowa had been winning despite the poor play. It's just gotten beyond ridiculous now. There's not enough lipstick to put on that this is the worst O in college football. It's as bad as I've ever seen.

Petras probably doesn't fumble that first snap like Padilla did and maybe he doesn't throw that bad INT deep in our territory either. But he wasn't going to drive them down for any points either. The what if game of dominos is always tough to say. But regardless we weren't winning that game or keeping it close.

I'll never get out of my head how bad Petras stats were at the end of the 1st q. He was 0-3 with a pick and fumble yet was up 7-3. For the last couple yrs Iowa had been winning despite the poor play. It's just gotten beyond ridiculous now. There's not enough lipstick to put on that this is the worst O in college football. It's as bad as I've ever seen.
Totally agree, but it can get worse. 66 yards at Wisconsin 2017.

It was just as likely Petras throws a couple more picks and has another fumble or two in the 2nd half.

......and I don't think anybody expected him to kick ass or even succeed in that situation. But, he got experience in a hostile environment and they could see what he can provide, such as a bit better movement and a bit more decisiveness.

Latest posts