Padilla…”What’s the upside?”

I'm glad I gave completely gave up on the Bears years ago. I couldn't force myself to be both an Iowa and Chicago fan. Jesus I think weekends suck when Iowa can't put up points on a Saturday. Couldn't imagine what it'd be like sitting through three hours of BF trying to convince us he knows what he's doing only to turn around and have to do the same thing all over again on Sunday. Thanks but no thanks.

Beat me to it. Padilla would be against mop-up defense getting reps in.
Which is why IMO any action he'd see would be meaningless in the grand scheme of things. He plays terribly he stays on the bench going forward. He shines and puts up decent numbers then our staff sees it as nothing more than a reflection of OSU taking their foot off the gas and him looking decent against backups and them announcing they're going to stay with Petras going forward and Padilla remaining on the bench.

I think the only chance a change is made would be immediately after OSU going into the NW game. But we all know that change ain't coming.

Since then, we have the 10th best winning % in the country among P5.

View attachment 9392

True, they have been short on titles, but that would be tough for any program to pass on.

A weird sidebar...among P5, Iowa has the very best ATS+/-, that is, the average number of points they cover the spread by (+4.4). I suppose this reflects the betting populace constantly under-estimating Iowa. But who would've thunk it? The next closest are Ohio St. (+3.1) and Clemson (+2.6).

The upside is not insanity… and we all know the definition… so stop expecting different results with no change. His retort wasn’t the least thought out. Anyone with a rational mind would try something different at this point.We’ve all seen Padilla enough to know his potential is greater to win given the situation. He’s not more talented but more capable of winning games. He can throw a 5 yard out rolling either way which is the only thing the line can block. So yeah the upside is winning.

View attachment 9392

True, they have been short on titles, but that would be tough for any program to pass on.

I'm 100% behind this. I probably should have included Idaho in my ratio of population to P5 roster spots. Quick math.....1.7 million population in Idaho. Only one P5 in the state. Iowa with just over 3 million, but two P5 teams, Iowa probably trails only Wyoming and Utah (BYU/Utah) in all of college football in this stat. And frankly, I would take our results in the Big 10 over Boise St./Utah/BYU or Wyoming in their respective conferences.

For 40 years, our two coaches have done "more" with "less" than any other program. Which is why I am reluctantly very upset with Kirk at the moment.

If the offensive coordinator was, say....Andy Lightfoot. Another offensive linemen from the early oughts, who wasn't drafted into the NFL. How would I feel? I'd probably be calling for his replacement. I'd also feel reasonably assured that he would be replaced by choice at least at the end of the season. At Kirk's command. That's not the case now. And that's why I am increasingly uncomfortable with Kirk Ferentz.

Does anybody know what Mr. Lightfoot's up to? Is he busy at the moment? Think he could call a game? Pretty sure he could coach a line.

When I look at the title of this thread it brings me back to the fact that BF is sheltered and doesn't get raw edges worn off that working outside the family business warts and all would wear off.

Like what you see from doctors, some lawyers, and the sons of successful business owners. What he said was very insensitive and he likely had no real clue what he did. Which gets back to the big problem in the first place.

We saw Padilla last year when we had a markedly better supporting cast. I actually agree with Brian here.
Agreeing with him isn’t even the issue. Petras is a senior and where exactly is this team going? There’s your answer…former center coaching qb’s

Watching Kansas playing up every single weekend, with a backup qb…and winning v watching a former center coaching a senior qb at iowa. All you need to know about Iowa football. The offense under ferentz has always been a joke

Agreeing with him isn’t even the issue. Petras is a senior and where exactly is this team going? There’s your answer…former center coaching qb’s
Obviously, that is a tendency, but not the real issue. A good teacher can teach on a lot of subjects. A cente can give line insights to a qb. The real issues are:

Is BF constricted by the HC?

Can BF teach/coach/manage games?

Can someone send this to BF?

Last edited:
Obviously, that is a tendency, but not the real issue. A good teacher can teach on a lot of subjects. A cente can give line insights to a qb. The real issues are:

Is BF constricted by the HC?

Can BF teach/coach/manage games?

Can someone send this to FB?
This season is over. The upside Brian is referring to is a minor bowl. No one cares. A real coach would want to play both backups now to get a head start on next year and have momentum into spring. Not how this staff thinks, however. And on every imaginable level, his comment was a new level of jackass

I just saw Sean Clifford take off for a 50 yard run for PSU on a QB option fake that fooled the entire Michigan defense.

And all I could think was, boy that is what Iowa is missing. A QB that can run adds so many options to an offense.

I just saw Sean Clifford take off for a 50 yard run for PSU on a QB option fake that fooled the entire Michigan defense.

And all I could think was, boy that is what Iowa is missing. A QB that can run adds so many options to an offense.
Iowa has had qb’s that can run, but they weren’t allowed. And throwing out of the pocket is primary. Having the ability to run is a bonus. But running without being able to throw from the pocket isn’t a winning scenario.

View attachment 9392

A weird sidebar...among P5, Iowa has the very best ATS+/-, that is, the average number of points they cover the spread by (+4.4). I suppose this reflects the betting populace constantly under-estimating Iowa. But who would've thunk it? The next closest are Ohio St. (+3.1) and Clemson (+2.6).

As good as that is, there still feels like there is meat that was left on the bone. And you feel that way mainly because of the offense. Interesting stat I heard last week...since 2017, Iowa is 39-3 when they score 21 or more points. Is that credit to the defense or an indictment on the offense?

As good as that is, there still feels like there is meat that was left on the bone. And you feel that way mainly because of the offense. Interesting stat I heard last week...since 2017, Iowa is 39-3 when they score 21 or more points. Is that credit to the defense or an indictment on the offense?
Yes. The absolute only reasons this staff has won is defense and, incredibly soft non-con schedules and an ultra weak b10 west. They win 6-8 games annually and go to a b10 negotiated bowl for finishing.500 or below in conference

Cool. Still should have been fired. The University gave him a third shot to right his own ship, does the guy need a forth?

Do you want a pound of flesh, or do you want success? Do you think just anyone off the street would have led to the 10th best win% in P5 at IOWA since then?