Padilla to the Portal

Those of you apologizing did any of you watch the Nebraska game? Padilla did not look like a Big Ten caliber quarterback and I can see why KF said they were putting the QB out there that gave them the best chance to win.

But I do question the coaches decision to recruit him in the first place. His best offers were non P5 schools and he was recruited by......wait for it.......O'Keefe.

Those of you apologizing did any of you watch the Nebraska game? Padilla did not look like a Big Ten caliber quarterback and I can see why KF said they were putting the QB out there that gave them the best chance to win.

But I do question the coaches decision to recruit him in the first place. His best offers were non P5 schools and he was recruited by......wait for it.......O'Keefe.
Weren't almost all the QBs on the roster 4 *s or am I misremembering?

You just nailed it. They put someone out there not ready and had no other options. That is not on Padilla. Some of you just won't say it. KF sucks and in general not a very good human being.

It's easier for you to bitch at a 20 something either not able or not prepped for what he was asked to do. That is on KF. If it is talent, this was not a surprise.

No way Iowa can't get a decent QB if they wanted it. The system is broken. The system is KF and apologists.

Reactions: haw
You just nailed it. They put someone out there not ready and had no other options. That is not on Padilla. Some of you just won't say it. KF sucks and in general not a very good human being.
Everything I've heard about KF is that he's a decent dude and really only this nepotism and under prioritization of scoring will be his undoing. I wish IA ran a flashier offense, and you see the players in the Offense either go onto more successful careers in the NFL or other schools, you see that it isn't a recruiting issue.

But the constant failures to account for run and passes blitzes is what's killing this offense. They do want to throw the ball downfield, but Petras never had the time (or the accuracy).

Everything I've heard about KF is that he's a decent dude and really only this nepotism and under prioritization of scoring will be his undoing. I wish IA ran a flashier offense, and you see the players in the Offense either go onto more successful careers in the NFL or other schools, you see that it isn't a recruiting issue.

But the constant failures to account for run and passes blitzes is what's killing this offense. They do want to throw the ball downfield, but Petras never had the time (or the accuracy).
Does a decent dude do what he is doing?

McNamara just had surgery and won't be ready until after Spring ball.

Budmayr coached McNamara's brother at CSU. Read into that what you will.

Trying to keep up with all this stuff will be more entertaining than the bowl game itself.:)

There would be no better resume builder for this kid than playing Iowa's frigid schedule and putting up 25 or more TDs in what was the 130th ranked offense. He can't gamble with going somewhere like Georgia or Alabama where there are three guys who are high 4 stars or above on the roster because he cannot risk getting beaten out as the starter if he has 3 shitty days in practice.
Top flight programs won't want him (As you've alluded to). He has to go to a middling program somewhere, and Iowa makes sense, though I'd be concerned as hell about playing behind the OL at Iowa.

Dude blows. Still should have gotten an honest chance this year (Though he sucked last year when he did get a chance). Iowa's handling and coaching of QBs has really become unconscionable.

Sitting in the NW corner, 6 rows from the top on Saturday showed me that it wasn't an issue of nobody open. I don't know how many times someone was open down field and yet Petras and Padilla both either threw to a closer, covered receiver or they just threw it out of bounds. It was very frustrating to watch and I imaging that Vine, Bruce, and Johnson are probably fed up with their talent being wasted.

Willing to bet with this coaching staff and BF that Bryce young would look like crap and never given the chance to use his god given talents! But forsake of argument imagine what would happen if as much foresight when into recruiting QB's as into kickers and punters.

Sitting in the NW corner, 6 rows from the top on Saturday showed me that it wasn't an issue of nobody open. I don't know how many times someone was open down field and yet Petras and Padilla both either threw to a closer, covered receiver or they just threw it out of bounds. It was very frustrating to watch and I imaging that Vine, Bruce, and Johnson are probably fed up with their talent being wasted.
I kind of figured this might be the case. No way to know watching the television

It's ironic to wait an entire season to play than have a real competition for next year and then leave. It not make sense. I just hope he isn't leading the parade out of Iowa City. I won't be shocked to be breaking in an entire new receiving corps and backfield net year. That's a built in excuse for next year when Brian's offense sucks again.

Ditto... Would love to know his thought process. Because why'd he even stay this long if he wasn't willing to stay next yr to compete for the gig. I'm not saying he's a great enough player to be handed the gig by any means but just going off how Fort Kinnick has done things he was next up for it.

Kid deserved better then getting ran out there against OSU like that and having his career go how it has. I don't think he got a fair shake. I think our QB 'competitions' are more about who can memorize the playbook and sound smart in the meeting rooms then who can actually perform. Don't get me wrong I'd like my qb to have the total package but if I had to lean one way or the other I'm taking the gamer. I don't think we really know if Padilla coulda been that or not. Way too small of an unfair sample size to be judging for him. But we sure saw enough of Petras to know he wasn't it.
IMO he was raised right and told he should stick it out the whole season. I respect that vs our OC who should have been gone after week 3

Latest posts