Padilla to the Portal

Boy howdy, who pullled this thread out of the archives, I'd forgotten all about Alex Padilla.

But it does bring to mind Jackson Stratton, remember him?

He's the sophomore walk on QB who prepped at La Jolla HS in San Diego, committed to Washington out of high school, had his schollie pulled before he ever stepped on campus and ended up at Colorado St where he barely took any snaps in 2 years.

Then he comes to Iowa, and we were happy to add the depth at the time. Now you never hear his name. I got to thinking, however, that he may have gone to Colorado St when Coach Bud was the OC. And, the CSU coach was Jay Norvell, ex Hawk. Coach Bud comes to Iowa, Jackson doesn't play muchn enters the portal and end up in Iowa City.

It begs the question; how long will he be in Iowa City? Will he ever see the filed? if not, when does he enter the portal again? I have to admit, this is the kind of story I like to see a guy get some success. Does he pay his dues, grow his skills and become a contributing member to the team? Time will tell.

Boy howdy, who pullled this thread out of the archives, I'd forgotten all about Alex Padilla.

But it does bring to mind Jackson Stratton, remember him?

He's the sophomore walk on QB who prepped at La Jolla HS in San Diego, committed to Washington out of high school, had his schollie pulled before he ever stepped on campus and ended up at Colorado St where he barely took any snaps in 2 years.

Then he comes to Iowa, and we were happy to add the depth at the time. Now you never hear his name. I got to thinking, however, that he may have gone to Colorado St when Coach Bud was the OC. And, the CSU coach was Jay Norvell, ex Hawk. Coach Bud comes to Iowa, Jackson doesn't play muchn enters the portal and end up in Iowa City.

It begs the question; how long will he be in Iowa City? Will he ever see the filed? if not, when does he enter the portal again? I have to admit, this is the kind of story I like to see a guy get some success. Does he pay his dues, grow his skills and become a contributing member to the team? Time will tell.
You never know, he could be on the roster this year only to get cut as a result of the mandatory roster reduction that has to happen in 2025.

It makes you wonder if Alex Padilla regrets transferring since he barely played at SMU last year.

If I remember correctly, Padilla entered the portal about 2 seconds after it leaked that Cade McNamara was coming to Iowa. Alex could have stuck around for the bowl game that Labas started, but didn't.

I guess from. His perspective, he probably would have been 3rd on the depth chart in 2023 behind Cade and Labas. So it made sense at the time to transfer. As it turned out, Padilla probably would have played a lot in 2023 if he had stuck around.

Latest posts