Padilla needs to start next game!

I think the small sample size was enough to show Padilla has enough mobility to be more of a factor with this porous OLine. Especially with more in game reps. It cannot get any worse, but I’m sure a change won’t happen because it’s KF.
Padilla better be pretty mobile with our O line. And we better have an MD on call if he runs around much.

I
Padilla better be pretty mobile with our O line. And we better have an MD on call if he runs around much.
Wouldn’t it be better to give a guy a chance who has some mobility instead of Petras just being a sitting duck in the backfield? What’s the downside at this point?

I

Wouldn’t it be better to give a guy a chance who has some mobility instead of Petras just being a sitting duck in the backfield? What’s the downside at this point?
I get your point. But, I think more chaos may occur if we start debating who should run the offense. Hawks are fragile right now. Yes. We are bad on O. But we are 6-2, with at least three teams on our schedule that are no great shakes on O or D. And, we still have a highly rated defense. I would rather we play it out.

I think the small sample size was enough to show Padilla has enough mobility to be more of a factor with this porous OLine. Especially with more in game reps. It cannot get any worse, but I’m sure a change won’t happen because it’s KF.
The old KF before BF was oc would not make a change at QB. But considering his motivation to get his son promoted to HC, the offense is on life support and this makes BF look bad, he may pull the trigger.

Only 19 games left with petras at the helm behind the offensive genuis of BF and KOK...both arguably the worst OC coordinators on an iowa sideline in history...hang in there fans.

Correct.

You can’t out quarterback a bad OL.

When your OL is terrible and the defense knows you can’t run whatsoever, everything breaks down.
Play calling would help a lot more than changing QB's. No QB will be successful in deep drops on third and long when the defender is waiting for you 10 yards in the backfield. Our lineman are not even slowing the defender down and our backs are whiffing on the blocks, that being said good play calling can counter this to a degree.

How about the other three or four times he got run down, or the passes he missed, or the time he threw the ball about 30 mph harder than he needed to to Johnson? Which coincidentally is what folks criticized Petras for (myself included). Padilla showed nothing that was an improvement over Petras. He suffered from the same mistakes.

The OL and 1st & 2nd down playcalling are the problems with this team. Not the quarterback.
Agree BF and OL are problems #1 & 2, however w had 23 yards at the half. 23!! Does it really matter at this point? Even on the rare occasion when Petras had time his passes still missed the mark more often than not. At this point see what else you have in the other QB with some extended game time reps as you know he will transfer out if Petras stays as statue, I mean QB, 1….

If Goodson leaves, it ain’t gonna be to the NFL
I agree as he hasn’t shown enough to warrant that type of consideration.

The question is would he be better off transferring to another team with a offensive line that can give him some running room.

Hopefully the line will show some promise in the games that are remaining so as to instill some confidence in Goodson that next year will be much better. Right now it’s not good.

Also keep in mind a school may available that has that line and is much, much, closer to home in Georgia.

Only 19 games left with petras at the helm behind the offensive genuis of BF and KOK...both arguably the worst OC coordinators on an iowa sideline in history...hang in there fans.
Great! You have clearly defined your stance on Iowa football. Now you have a clear path to retirement from HN. Have a great day!

Agree BF and OL are problems #1 & 2, however w had 23 yards at the half. 23!! Does it really matter at this point? Even on the rare occasion when Petras had time his passes still missed the mark more often than not. At this point see what else you have in the other QB with some extended game time reps as you know he will transfer out if Petras stays as statue, I mean QB, 1….

Padilla didn’t exactly look mobile when he was in there, and he had a couple missed passes that were just as bad as Petras’.
Agree, he didn't look as mobile as I thought he would be and I was disappointed. Because of this, I think the biggest improvement we could get from another QB over what Petras is giving us is presence/movement in the pocket. Petras doesn't slide, step up, peel out of the pocket until it's too late. With the small sample size, we can't say if Padilla has that or not. The problem is, he doesn't have the game experience right now so it would be tough and (shocker alert) it won't make our fan base happy as he learns. With our OL, he'd have to be perfect with his timing on his movement. So the choices would be, run quick routes so he (whichever QB) doesn't have to move or run some longer routes combos. If we have someone that's able to manage a rapidly collapsing pocket, we can throw more downfield.

I'm not a "bench the QB" guy, but I would like to see what Petras can give us and how he would develop if he had a good OL. He's shown a good arm and a nice touch at times when he's had the chance.

So what I meant to say is that I agree with your post. I get long-winded sometimes. :)

Um, Greg Davis was the worst one for me. He was a horizontal OC, not a vertical OC. His offensive play calling was OFFENSIVE to fans!

Mixed bag. One side of me wants to say it a young inexperienced line and this is what happens when you go through these types of growing pains.
The other side of me says, well who’s responsible for this mess. We all know that it falls upon the coach’s son.

I have two son’s myself. I can’t imagine what I would be going through in my mind and heart if I owned a company and hired one of my sons to run a significant part of that company. Then to watch that particular portion of my company (let’s say the sales department) start to struggle. The company has been fairly strong for many years (especially the production side) but sales are starting to wain. If things don’t pick up it likely will affect the rest of the company.

Kirk admitted in his post game press conference that the offense is struggling. As a dad myself I wouldn’t want to be in this position. So in that regard as hard as I have been on Kirk I do have some compassion for him.

From another perspective; If my father had the same business and I had been chosen me to run the sales department and I saw the decline and realized the tough position my father was in, what would I do. I believe I would hope for great Christmas sales. If that didn’t happen I would have to do the right thing for my Dad, and co-workers and step down. This taking the pressure off of my father.

So we have a few games left to see if things improve. Maybe they will. As a life long Iowa fan I want to see that happen. 10-2 is a very good year in hawkeyeville. Yes disappointing with the quick start and national attention we had, but still a very good year.

However if we lose half of the remaining games then we are basically at our usual water mark. Not the end of the world, disappointing, but we are used to this and as usual have to look ahead to next year.

If we somehow manage to eff up the rest of this season then one of two things will have to happen. A head coach retires or steps down or a Dad is going g to have to do something that none of us father would ever want to do.

Let’s win the rest and go 10-2 and look forward to next season. That’s my choice. Am I skeptical………… after the last two games………we all know the answer to that question………yet slightly hopeful.

I don't think Padilla starting is the answer. Purdue and Wisconsin just manhandled our offensive line. Padilla with some playing time did show a bit more ability to move and escape pressure, but missed some passes. I would think Petras continues to start, but I wouldn't be surprised if his leash is a bit shorter moving forward. Be surprised if Ol Patty doesn't bring the house when after our 2 failed runs and we are in 3rd and long like we usually are.

Last edited:
I guess I don't see how a QB is expected to escape pressure when it's coming from everywhere. If it were one side or one gap over and over I'd understand, but its 2-3 guys getting through from different spots every snap.
This.

Until Petras gets even a little time to throw, there’s no way you can put this on him.

It’s made even worse by teams knowing we can’t run and have to throw. They’re bringing the house.

I guess I don't see how a QB is expected to escape pressure when it's coming from everywhere. If it were one side or one gap over and over I'd understand, but its 2-3 guys getting through from different spots every snap.
The line is very inconsistent. When I realized in the fourth quarter that we were done then I began l to focus on the line and not so much the QB. One one play a block was totally missed, then on the next play a different lineman missed a block, then as you pointed out then several blocks were misssed at the same time.

The only hope at this point is to take the ball under center and stand up and throw in less than three seconds (with this line that might be pushing it. I do think our center can give us three seconds.

Latest posts