Out Coached

That's the problem tonight.

I actually agree...to an extent.

NW runs a 1-3-1...always has... and Iowa looked like they have never seen it before. That's on coaching. obviously a lot of mental mistakes also...but our job of playing against this 1-3-1 is embarassing.

1. Playing passive Off. against a zone
2. No concept of team D
3. No foot quickness
4. Worst PG in the Big10
5. No center

all add up to a night like this, Gesell will make us all forget about Cart

I think it is both....being out-coached and out-executed. It does not look we have had any decent drawn up plays to beat this 1-3-1. However, it could be that the players are making dumb decisions and not not doing what they are being told to do. We seem to just dribble into a trap in the middle of the court instead of getting some passes into the high post and then looking to hit the cutter on the baseline. And our passing has been horrible and rushed. Northwestern got in their heads.

No, fran is the man. Just another beat down, but has nothing to do with coaching. Its all Archie's fault.

I actually agree...to an extent.

NW runs a 1-3-1...always has... and Iowa looked like they have never seen it before. That's on coaching. obviously a lot of mental mistakes also...but our job of playing against this 1-3-1 is embarassing.

It seriously looked like we had never seen it, practiced against it, and were shocked that they came out in it. It was utterly ridiculous.

What I don't understand is why we thought it would be a good idea to go to a zone against a team with no inside threats and 5 guys that can shoot the long ball? Was there anyone of us that didn't know they were going to go off from behind the arc with us playing that defense?

It was pretty much everyones fault tonight. White and Gatens showed up on offense but everything else about the game simply stunk.

The thing I am looking forward to most next year is three guards who can stay with their man on D. Something the current group is completely incapable of.

Why does Eric May every get on the court? Hes like a sheep thrown to the wolves, or in this case thrown to the nerds.

Have you people forgot that Fran inherited little to no talent????? He needs time to get his players and get them in his system for a year to really play it well. HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!!!

Fran's defense makes even the worst teams look great. I am so disappointed in his style of defense. His approach of just trying to out score the opponent is just crazy.

I actually agree...to an extent. NW runs a 1-3-1...always has... and Iowa looked like they have never seen it before. That's on coaching. obviously a lot of mental mistakes also...but our job of playing against this 1-3-1 is embarassing.
It seriously looked like we had never seen it, practiced against it, and were shocked that they came out in it. It was utterly ridiculous.

agreed....NW was planning on playing man...Iowa scored an east 5 pts....so they switched to 1-3-1 and owned us since.

i kept yelling 'attack the basket!' there were three guys near the ball on top of the arc. and we still couldn't pound it in. we needed to attack the rim before their defense was set.

Fran's defense makes even the worst teams look great. I am so disappointed in his style of defense. His approach of just trying to out score the opponent is just crazy.

A lot of helping is necessitated by not being quick enough to keep the ball-handler in front of us. Either Sobolewski gets 18 more layups or we allow them to drain 12 threes. It's pick your poison when your personnel is lacking.

Fran's system isn't to try to give up points. It is giving up plenty of points now, but this will be helped PLENTY by adding some quickness.

most major teams to this...but involves getting the best players to do it....

Fran is the man, Players fault

What's that you say? I didn't catch it the first time.

Chill out dude. This isn't ALL on Fran, we only had 2, maybe 2 1/2 players show up tonight. The rest of the team was sleep walking. You don't think they worked on beating the 1-3-1 in practice all week? Please..

If you've been following Iowa bball at all then you'd know that we're seriously lacking the talent needed to contend in the B10. A lot of people thought we'd win maybe 3-4, some even thought 0 games in the B10. This is just one game, don't completely throw the positives of this season out the window based off of just this one.

If our execution had been even somewhat decent... Then I could MAYBE understand threads like this, but with the way we were playing... Fran could have done everything perfectly right and it wouldn't have mattered.

You can't blame this one on coaching.

Have you people forgot that Fran inherited little to no talent????? He needs time to get his players and get them in his system for a year to really play it well. HELP IS ON THE WAY!!!!!

Three of the five starters tonight are Fran's guys who have all been in the program a year. Basabe and Oglesby are both Fran's guys and played the most minutes off the bench. They are HIS players, we got schooled because we don't know how to attack against a 1-3-1.

Latest posts