Our Schedule is Brutal

ChosenChildren

Wyoming is tough. Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State from the East. Wisconsin, Nebraska and NW on the road.

7-5 would be an outstanding season and 8-4 would be cause for celebration.

were-screwed.jpg

This is going to make anticipation of the game each week and on Saturday morning only that much more amped up. Going to be a great year watching play all the tough competition. I'd rather they play formidable teams each week they try to get up for a crappy teams.

I pasted a link to a Wyoming preview in the Podcast thread. about the 40 minute mark they preview Iowa. As expected, they're not that informed about Iowa.

It's a much harder schedule - no doubt. BUT, I've STOPPED myself from schedule surfing for wins and losses because recent trends with this program indicate it has little to no barring. In 15 - all their divisional and "tougher" games were one the road - and everyone was like ... meh, the schedule is too tough to win a West title. In 16, the schedule was set up for a run because all those tough teams were now coming to Kinnick. It's hard too much to read into it. I think if Iowa is good, it's good and it isn't going to matter as far as playing at WI, NW or NE because they have similar talent. Where it "might" matter is that we have our 2 hardest games (PSU and TOSU) at home.

Tough schedules may turn 8-4 teams into 7-5 teams, but tough schedules don't turn 11-1 teams into 7-5 teams.

And is the 2017 schedule really that much harder than 2016? Ok, a little bit harder but not too much harder. Remember that MSU was 1-8 last year and is expected to be down again. And Iowa gets 5 home games in the conference in 2017 vs. 4 home games in 2016.

2016 vs. 2017

OOC
Miami-Oh -- North Tex
ISU -- @ISU
NDSU -- Wyoming

Cross-Division
@Rut -- @MSU
@PSU -- PSU
Mich -- OSU

Division
Wisc -- @Wisc
NW -- @NW
@Minn --- Minn
@ILL --- ILL
@ Pur --- Pur
Neb. -- @Neb

Wyoming may be less tough, but we struggle against good qb's. it should be a win, but it could also be a loss. I don't think there's a conf roadie we'll win. home against MN could be a loss. Fleck will be out for blood this game and want to put a lot of points on us. If they can and we can't score, well. Even if we go 3-0 in non con and only lose to OSU/PSU at home, that's still 6 wins. Again, I just don't see us winning at MSU, PSU, WUs and kNU.

Tough schedules may turn 8-4 teams into 7-5 teams, but tough schedules don't turn 11-1 teams into 7-5 teams.

And is the 2017 schedule really that much harder than 2016? Ok, a little bit harder but not too much harder. Remember that MSU was 1-8 last year and is expected to be down again. And Iowa gets 5 home games in the conference in 2017 vs. 4 home games in 2016.

2016 vs. 2017

OOC
Miami-Oh -- North Tex
ISU -- @ISU
NDSU -- Wyoming

Cross-Division
@Rut -- @MSU
@PSU -- PSU
Mich -- OSU

Division
Wisc -- @Wisc
NW -- @NW
@Minn --- Minn
@ILL --- ILL
@ Pur --- Pur
Neb. -- @Neb

PSU is better this season and they smoked us last. NW is better and on road. WUs will be better and on road. MSU will be better than RU. MN is a tricky one cuz i just get the feeling Fleck is really playing up the Iowa hate up in goofyland. The teams we played last season that we do again, will be better. We'll be less experienced on offense and could have 1 hand tied behind our backs if we don't get the passing offense figured out quickly. Non con I agree is similar. I'm just really scared not having a passing offense.

PSU is better this season and they smoked us last. NW is better and on road. WUs will be better and on road. MSU will be better than RU. MN is a tricky one cuz i just get the feeling Fleck is really playing up the Iowa hate up in goofyland. The teams we played last season that we do again, will be better. We'll be less experienced on offense and could have 1 hand tied behind our backs if we don't get the passing offense figured out quickly. Non con I agree is similar. I'm just really scared not having a passing offense.

Somebody will be worse this year that was not expected to be, just like last year everybody thought Wisc had a brutal schedule, then MSU ended up being awful, not as awful as Rutgers, but pretty bad. At the same time, PSU was not expected to be good and ended up being conference champs.

NOW in hindsight, Wisc's schedule was not much harder than Iowa's last year.

Somebody will be worse this year that was not expected to be, just like last year everybody thought Wisc had a brutal schedule, then MSU ended up being awful, not as awful as Rutgers, but pretty bad. At the same time, PSU was not expected to be good and ended up being conference champs.

NOW in hindsight, Wisc's schedule was not much harder than Iowa's last year.

^^^^ This

Every year people say they know how good/bad a team will be.

In 2015 how many programs said "I'm scared to play that team which usually finishes 4th in the west division."
In case you didn't know, we were that team which averaged 4th place in the WEST.

^^^^ This

Every year people say they know how good/bad a team will be.

In 2015 how many programs said "I'm scared to play that team which usually finishes 4th in the west division."
In case you didn't know, we were that team which averaged 4th place in the WEST.

Lol, in 2015 there had only been 1 year of the new West Division starting in 2014, and yes, Iowa did finish 4th that first year of the West. So just for the record, I am not arguing. The information below is just more information.

In the 3 years of the old Legends Division, Iowa finished 4th, 5th, and 2nd. So in the old Legends, Iowa's average finish was 4th.

In the 3 years of the new West Division, Iowa has finished 4th, 1st and 2nd. So in the new West Division, Iowa's average finish has been 2nd.

Combine all 6 years together and Iowa's average finish has been 3rd.

Lol, in 2015 there had only been 1 year of the new West Division starting in 2014, and yes, Iowa did finish 4th that first year of the West. So just for the record, I am not arguing. The information below is just more information.

In the 3 years of the old Legends Division, Iowa finished 4th, 5th, and 2nd. So in the old Legends, Iowa's average finish was 4th.

In the 3 years of the new West Division, Iowa has finished 4th, 1st and 2nd. So in the new West Division, Iowa's average finish has been 2nd.

Combine all 6 years together and Iowa's average finish has been 3rd.

Uh oh, I got a lawyer named goofus on my tail. LOL.

Legends=west

2011 - 4th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 2nd
2014 - 4th

15/4 = 3.75 (4th)

So prior to 2015 Iowa finished 4th in it's division.

For some reason you misread my post and included the last 6 years which isn't what I said. If you want to play that game, lets go back before 2011.

2010 - 4th
2009 - 2nd
2008 - 4th
2007 - 5th
2006 - 8th

3 ranked seasons in the last 12. 25% of the time we finish ranked since the glory run.

No coach in the league (other than KF) was around before 2006.

But I got some bad news for ya, none of our debate changes the fact that nobody on this board knows how good/bad the other teams will be. We don't know how good Iowa will be. Feel free to disagree with the previous 2 sentences. Then read your first post. You won't be the first person to disagree with yourself in an effort to go after me.

Last edited:
2009 was a tough schedule. The schedule doesn't determine the season. 2009 was a nice ride and I'm feeling good about this team.

Uh oh, I got a lawyer named goofus on my tail. LOL.

Legends=west

2011 - 4th
2012 - 5th
2013 - 2nd
2014 - 4th

15/4 = 3.75 (4th)

So prior to 2015 Iowa finished 4th in it's division.

For some reason you misread my post and included the last 6 years which isn't what I said. If you want to play that game, lets go back before 2011.

2010 - 4th
2009 - 2nd
2008 - 4th
2007 - 5th
2006 - 8th

3 ranked seasons in the last 12. 25% of the time we finish ranked since the glory run.

No coach in the league (other than KF) was around before 2006.

But I got some bad news for ya, none of our debate changes the fact that nobody on this board knows how good/bad the other teams will be. We don't know how good Iowa will be. Feel free to disagree with the previous 2 sentences. Then read your first post. You won't be the first person to disagree with yourself in an effort to go after me.

Yup, I was not arguing with you. I was just providing some more info to show that Iowa is finishing better in the last couple seasons in the "new" West division, which I know was not your original argument.

But for what its worth, I am not sure if its accurate to say the old Legends was equal to the new West. The old Legends had Mich and MSU, but did not have Wisc, Pur, and ILL. But more important, the old Legends only had 6 teams while the West has 7 teams, ehich makes a 4th place average in the Legends even worse.

Latest posts