Our defense gave up THREE touchdowns in the past SIX games.

Iowa does recruit good players. The Colby, Stephens and Davidkov OL class was all 4*s and Davidikov just below a 5* (I think). Davidkov's career ended before it began, Stephens has suffered an almost continuous stream of injuries and even Colby has missed some games. We cannot stack classes of 5 or 6 4* and 5* recruits. So, when those kinds of guys are hurt there might even be a walk on behind them. Or some guy with zero experience or a freshman that weighs 265 pounds.

The wide receivers haven't been terrible. Kaleb Brown is obviously a #1 type WR. Keagan Johnson was, I think potentially a game breaker. Although, his portal venture didn't work out the way he thought it would. Didn't start and had only 21 catches for 196 yards, less than 10 per catch. As a freshman at Iowa he had 18 catches for almost 352 yards. 3 more catches for 60% of the yards? Keagan, if healthy, would have been the number one target, even with both TEs. Even with the poor quarterbacking the kid would have had a lot more targets and a lot more than 21 catches. Hell, Keagan stayed healthy for 10 games, just 1 less than the 11 he played while at Iowa. Iowa played 27 games in those two seasons.

You are not all wrong. While we have had a run of line trouble, mostly beginning with the loss on Ince and Britt for the years they would have been juniors and senior. Part has been the injuries, but the line play has been really bad. 2020-team weakness; 2021-team weakness; 2022-team catastrophic and 2023-improving but far from good. The poor line play is reflected in the lack of offensive production, as you note.​
Good post and I agree with what you said, except that I didn't say that we don't recruit good players (unless you're talking about my first 2 lines which were sarcastic). As you said, most of the ones that you mentioned are the reason our OL has been bad and why we don't have good WR. Keagan is one that we lost along with Arland Bruce. I agree that Kaleb has the potential to be a #1, but he's nowhere near that yet, partly because he's inexperienced and partly because there aren't enough guys to take the focus off of him. We've lost too many recruits on offense because of injury, transfer, or development.

I'll agree with you, but there's one major flaw in your argument. The difference between us and the programs you listed are those teams are starting out at the top of the polls and only have to sustain it rather than climb the ladder to reach the top of the polls. It's a flawed system, but unfortunately that's how it is. UGA, Bama, OSU, and Michigan don't need to schedule world beaters year in and year out because they're focused on winning their conferences on a yearly basis and don't necessarily care about who they play OOC.
There may be some truth to that but if Iowa ends up 11-1 or 12-1 or 13-0. they are going to be in the playoff hunt or selected if they win the BIG C-ship game. This actually supports my point more. Plus, most schedules are made years in advance and changes can happen. Michigan wasn't sitting this good even 5 years ago. Look at the tail-off Clemson has had in the past couple years.

FWIW Bama did play Texas and Georgia played GT this year.

Of course, the SEC only plays 8 conference games, so you could argue that those games are the equivilant of a 9th conference game. In fact, Bama and Texas will be a conference game the next time they play. Georgia did not do it this year but often does play another P5 team in addition to GT.
Georgia State and Georgia play every year. Otherwise, you are talking about Top Ten teams playing for TV money. Not their usual scheduling.

Normally, I am not a moral victory guy. If they can keep this game competitive for 3 quarters...I'm good. I will probably be more invested in the exhibition game against Ole Miss. Kirk and Lane having fun with no pressure, sign me up for that all day if Iowa ends up with the 'W'.

in the exhibition game
C'mon dude. You know bowls count on final records. The final record defines the team. 11-3 puts Iowa in the final top 10, and that really counts in recruiting and fundraising. After all the snarky shit that has been heaped on Iowa this season a top ten finish would be especially mentionable and a final laugh at everyone that counted out the Iowa boys. A 10-4 finish is still a very good season but 11-3, well that's about 15 places higher in the final Top 25.

Indeed, Iowa winning a NY Day Bowl and finishing 11-3 would be fantastic over achievement by this team.

C'mon dude. You know bowls count on final records. The final record defines the team. 11-3 puts Iowa in the final top 10, and that really counts in recruiting and fundraising. After all the snarky shit that has been heaped on Iowa this season a top ten finish would be especially mentionable and a final laugh at everyone that counted out the Iowa boys. A 10-4 finish is still a very good season but 11-3, well that's about 15 places higher in the final Top 25.

Indeed, Iowa winning a NY Day Bowl and finishing 11-3 would be fantastic over achievement by this team.
11-3 means splitting the last two games. How does that get them in the top 10? Maybe an outside chance if Michigan wins by 1 with a last second field goal and they win the bowl game 40-10 but they are not jumping 6 spots. :)

We are back at 16 in the only poll that counts.
Lose to Michigan, drop to 20. A lot of teams between 11-20 are going to lose their bowl games-probably half. Iowa wins and attrition takes it's toll creates the path.

It's a great event even if we just end in the top 15. That still creates prestige and more money.

3 in the last 6 games is nice but the question is will they give up 3 touchdowns in the next game and can they still win it if they do?