Our defense gave up THREE touchdowns in the past SIX games.

It's amazing how they get guys that can repeatedly bring us a top defense without getting the top rated recruits. Say what you want about having a good eye for talent, etc, but why can't any other school do it? Just crazy.

It's amazing how they get guys that can repeatedly bring us a top defense without getting the top rated recruits. Say what you want about having a good eye for talent, etc, but why can't any other school do it? Just crazy.
We all agree it’s an absolutely phenomenal defense against average teams. There’s absolutely no denial of that. But when it faces top talent…not so much.

Those points?

All totals the Iowa offense isn’t capable of against a real defense.

One thing is for sure, in week 13, it’s finally put up or shut up time. We find out just how good the defense is. And we’ve had better defenses in the past that gave up these points.

You have to take those scores in context. The last two specifically. PSU got 31 points because our offense did absolutely nothing while making crucial mistakes. Our defense ended up being on the field for most of the game. The OSU 54 point game was similar but even worse. Our offense turned the ball over several times giving OSU the ball in plus territory and our defense did a great job of holding them to field goals. At halftime all the commentators wanted to talk about was how good the Iowa defense was. In the second half our defense got worn down and OSU made plays by a matter of inches where the defense was right there but the passes were perfect.

Time to throw the kitchen sink at either team we face....or at least a few bag of tricks. It will be real interesting to see if the defense can continue to hold either the Michigan or Ohio St offenses to minimal points like the rest of the games this year (outside of PSU).

Last edited:
You have to take those scores in context. The last two specifically. PSU got 31 points because our offense did absolutely nothing while making crucial mistakes. Our defense ended up being on the field for most of the game. The OSU 54 point game was similar but even worse. Our offense turned the ball over several times giving OSU the ball in plus territory and our defense did a great job of holding them to field goals. At halftime all the commentators wanted to talk about was how good the Iowa defense was. In the second half our defense got worn down and OSU made plays by a matter of inches where the defense was right there but the passes were perfect.
I don’t entirely disagree. Just saying we’ll finally find out after 13 weeks. As you know, I’m a huge critic of our scheduling strategy for this very reason. Secondly, for the “all hail Ferentz crowd”, the need for a real offense is completely exposed because you simply will never win these games with no offense.

I know what we are, but it would be nice to know publicly all the deficiencies in September

We need to be rooting like hell for TOSU as they don’t have a quarterback. If we can somehow turn them one dimensional, still a longshot but you never know

I think Michigan would destroy us

Last edited:
That was my biggest takeaway from that game. There were four or so passes in the second half that were absolutely perfect by Stroud. Our defense was in great position each time but there was no way any defender could have stopped those plays. Those few passes were unreal and completely changed the game.

I'm still amazed he wasn't the first pick in the draft. No-brainer IMO.

I just want Kirk to say that he gets it. That he agrees that the offense has been poor for years.

To do so would be an indightment of Brian.

The moves that they made in the portal speak loudest

We all agree it’s an absolutely phenomenal defense against average teams. There’s absolutely no denial of that. But when it faces top talent…not so much.

Those points?

All totals the Iowa offense isn’t capable of against a real defense.

One thing is for sure, in week 13, it’s finally put up or shut up time. We find out just how good the defense is. And we’ve had better defenses in the past that gave up these points.
dont bring realism into these discussions sir.

I just want Kirk to say that he gets it. That he agrees that the offense has been poor for years.

To do so would be an indightment of Brian.

The moves that they made in the portal speak loudest
To me, it’s an indictment on kirk all the way. Those blaming Brian the last several seasons have revisionist history and think way too shallow

I could be wrong but I think our defense can compete with anyone but they need the offense to help by not turning the ball over and by getting some first downs. I admit that I am biased and could be wrong. That being said I doubt that the offense will give us enough to tell us definitely.

To me, it’s an indictment on kirk all the way. Those blaming Brian the last several seasons have revisionist history and think way too shallow

100% correct and KF would never admit while he's coaching that his offensive philosophy doesn't work.

I've defended him for the most part up until this year saying wins are what matters. But not anymore. If Iowa's OC's last name wasn't Ferentz, he would have been re-assigned at the very least to another position on the staff and most likely never hired due to lack of experience as an OC.

It's absolutely amazing the team won 10 games this year. It's not the coaching job KF did, but rather the coaching job PP did.

I believe when KF leaves, Iowa will be down for a while. However, I just want to see some more modern offensive football that's not so offensive, if you get my drift, to the eyes.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think our defense can compete with anyone but they need the offense to help by not turning the ball over and by getting some first downs. I admit that I am biased and could be wrong. That being said I doubt that the offense will give us enough to tell us definitely.
The answer is likely somewhere in the middle of this

Like most I watched the OSU vs MI game knowing Iowa would be playing the winner. OSU was able to hold Michigan under 30 points with a top five defense nationally. Michigan got a cheap TD when McCord threw an interception within in 15 yards of the end zone. OSU was able to limit scoring by having an offense that could possess the ball and keep Michigan off the field. I wish Iowa had more ability in that area, but it doesn't. There is a talent gap, some of it because of injuries and of course, a stock pile of talent.

To me the QB play was the difference in the outcome. McCarthy outplayed McCord. What impressed me was the creativity of both teams offensive coordinators. The ability to move the pocket and the plays that got running backs in space. It isn't like Iowa hasn't seen teams runs those type of plays so it comes down to whether the defense can do it against highly talented athletes. It sure be nice to have an offense that could keep Michigan off the field for significant time.

Last B10 championship game vs scUM they threw the kitchen sink of trick plays against us, mainly cause they weren't worried about us capitalizing on any mistakes if they happened. Phil better be ready for some serious misdirection again

The sad thing is Kirk won’t do much of anything different with regard to HIS offensive game plan.
Historically he has shown his propensity for playing games in a phone booth, even against far superior talent. Being an overwhelming underdog is when you need to be creative and take some chances.

Let it rip Kirk or at least show them a few wrinkles. Kirk puts so much pressure on Parker’s defense with all the three and outs.

The D will give up 3 touchdowns vs Michigan and that will be an accomplishment.
Offense will be offensive.
Silly talk of trick plays. Iowa doesn't have the OL to allow such slow developing plays to be executed without getting blown up, let alone the skill players to execute them.
It'll be another, humbling "know your place" loss.

Agree. I am not referring to slow developing trick plays. Hill doesn’t seem to have the ability to quickly process “regular” developing plays. (How often is he actually running through his progressions vs. waiting for his locked on target to come open?)
How about some quick slants (did anyone see how ISU attacked Texas?) AND how about some swing passes to your running backs? Patterson is a great north/south runner but within the confines of the tackle box he often doesn’t wait for his blocking to develop. Yeah, I know.
But if you had him out in space, more in the open field, I would think he could better utilize that north/south speed. Williams too.

Brian does little to help Hill succeed. Please get the ball out of his hand quicker.

Last edited:

Latest posts