Our D = beyond overrated

Where was the rush? He stood back there all day. Why stay in zone coverage when you are getting picked apart? If the game plan isn't working, I say blitz, play man/man, try to change it up. ClayWho? He was taken out of the game pretty easily. Well, he did have that late/dirty hit that kept a drive alive.

Where was the rush? He stood back there all day. Why stay in zone coverage when you are getting picked apart? If the game plan isn't working, I say blitz, play man/man, try to change it up. ClayWho? He was taken out of the game pretty easily. Well, he did have that late/dirty hit that kept a drive alive.

We aren't going to drop who we are at the drop of a hat. We actually did do a fair amount of blitzing. But people are complaining about how we just got torched in zone coverage, and you suggest switching to man-to-man? Wow.

We aren't going to drop who we are at the drop of a hat. We actually did do a fair amount of blitzing. But people are complaining about how we just got torched in zone coverage, and you suggest switching to man-to-man? Wow.
If you are clearly getting beat, yes, try something different.

If you are clearly getting beat, yes, try something different.

You do realize that 1. Zone is easier for defenders to play, and 2. Without a pass rush, it's STUPID to switch to man to man. Putting guys on an island when you aren't getting pressure? Bad combination.

You do realize that 1. Zone is easier for defenders to play, and 2. Without a pass rush, it's STUPID to switch to man to man. Putting guys on an island when you aren't getting pressure? Bad combination.
I'm saying, on that last drive, maybe try to win the game. That zone looked like a prevent to me. They made it look easy. I thought the blitz was effective, when they did it.

I'm saying, on that last drive, maybe try to win the game. That zone looked like a prevent to me. They made it look easy. I thought the blitz was effective, when they did it.

On the long pass, it looked like Sash was actually out of position. Greenwood was coming from across the field, and Sash was chasing. When that ball was thrown, I was thinking "That's got Sash written ALL over it!", only to see an open receiver with Sash trailing.

If the best D-line in counrty could have got some pressure, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I know, It is easy to coach from my couch. The team did show a ton of heart to make it rclose, it could have been much worse.

They dont 'allow it'. It's where they can be exploited. They make a QB be patient and accurate for several plays in a row. that is how you score on them. Most of the time, it doesn't work. Foles is simply the best passer Iowa will face all year

Signed,
Dan Persa?

Iowa's defense isn't bad. The linebacker play isn't the best right now and it is a problem. When that improves then the secondary will look better.

Last edited:
Clayborn is being double teamed on every pass. He is receiving at least a chip from a back or an outright double from guards, or tight ends. He is also smart enough to read a screen or a swing pass and not rush blindly at the qb and apply false pressure. He is also playing the run very well.

Ballard, Klug, Binns, Daniels, and Daniels are going to have to exploit the extra attention paid to Clayborn. Sometimes they got to Foles last night. When they didn't he was able to make us pay over the middle. The only QB left on out schedule who can consistently make us pay over the middle is Kirk Cousins from Michigan State. I am not sure his line will provide him with the kind of time that Foles received last night. His offense may give him that however. Tolzien from Wisconsin is capable also but he hasn't looked very good so far this season.

The linebackers are playing well. They responded to what they saw on film. Iowa also mixed coverages a lot last night. Sash took the blame for the long pass on the last AZ scoring drive. Give credit to Foles, Arizona's staff and Arizona's receivers for making plays over the middle.

The defense played well enough to win. They were put in difficult spots repeatedly. They never quit, responded over and over again and kept us in a game that looked over at half time. This is still a potentially great defense. Sometimes the other team plays better, and sometimes the circumstances of a game put you behind the eight ball. Iowa was battling a little bit of both last night.

Boomer....please go away and don't come back.

I will take this team any day, any time and anywhere.

I AM HURTING BAD RIGHT NOW LIKE EVERYONE, BUT WE HAVE TO GET UP!
MY SON IS ASKING WHY DID WE HAVE TO LOSE. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THE END.

ITS GREAT TO BE A HAWKEYE!

How many of you guys could go play on the DL and be doubled teamed all night like like Clayborn was and make any plays. Not having Norm there was an issue. Iowa should have been blitzing on Clayborns side to give him some help. Teams like to run at Clayborn on 3rd downs because all he does is go up field, he doesn't play the run in those situations. Linebackers need work, I believe some better palyers are on the bench. Sash was out of position a few times which doesn't help either. But in the end the defense played well enough to win and the loss doesn't fall on the defense. Iowa still has a chance to win the big 10, play in a great bowl game so why are all the debbie downers coming out of the wood work?

This loss is tough to swallow. But then I sat back and relaxed a bit and realized losing to a Top 25 team isn't to bad. This Iowa team showed some grit and guts. I'll say this right now.. Foles is vastly under rated. We played pretty soft in coverage and was out position a lot last night, something i'm not use to seeing by a Iowa defense. I don't know why that was, but it was interesting to see. Iowa was in a 14 point hole before we even knew it! And to battle back and tie this game and almost dash the hopes of the Cats showed how good this group is and how fast we can put up points. Never know though, we might have a rematch awaiting in Pasadena. I'm back away from the ledge and ready for next week! Go Hawks!

Well. Iowa lost a game on the road where our special teams play was horrible, and they were horrible in bad situations to be horrible in:

A punt on the 7. A kickoff return after a momentum changing TD. They did better in the second half. That is an improvement.

Arizona deserves credit though: not many teams make Iowa's special teams look pedestrian, and they did last night.

After that, the Arizona D was able to pin their ears back and rush 6/7 guys on every play. Normally, Iowa is good about getting the ball into the flat or to the tight end in the space vacated by the blitzing defenders. That didn't happen last night.

Arizona's O-coordinator deserves a game ball. As Bentley said on The Pulse this week, it is possible to scheme a D-line out of the game. Arizona did that with an extremely accurate passing game and by picking on Micah Hyde.

Part of me feels that having Norm on the sidelines last night would have been a huge advantage for Iowa, as I think he would have made an adjustment to rotate a safety over the top of hyde and dropping Hyde into the flat, running a cover 3 with the Mike and OLB on Hyde's side playing hook zones and Hunter playing the flat on Prater's side. Probably would have seen some picks in that situation on the deep routes.

Secondly, the big picture meltdown. The best teams in the nation rarely go undefeated. Texas has had one undefeated season in the last ten years.

Florida 1. Ohio State 1. Alabama 1. USC 2. Auburn 1. Oklahoma 2, I think.

Not saying that Iowa will get back in the N.C. picture, but a loss early against a good team doesn't prevent it from being possible. This is college football, and as we saw yesterday (in several games), crazy things happen. Michigan has the best offensive player in the country and still almost lost to UMASS. Parity has come to college football.

Also, the Hawks can still win the B10 and go to a BCS game and win. The first goal of an undefeated season is gone, but the other goals are still on the table.

The other thing to remember is that the future still looks bright for next year. OLine will be returning, LB's returning, a good core on the DL returning, McNutt, Sash returning. Many WR returning, and HB's are returning. Backup QB is talented.

This Iowa team didn't quit on us last night. Let's not quit on them because Arizona beat us, at home, with the help of some fluke plays. Got to take the ball as it bounces.

A loss to a top 25 team shouldn't equal meltdown. If we lose to Ball State or Stanzi was hurt last night, then I'd understand. There was no shame in losing that game.

How many of you guys could go play on the DL and be doubled teamed all night like like Clayborn was and make any plays. Not having Norm there was an issue. Iowa should have been blitzing on Clayborns side to give him some help. Teams like to run at Clayborn on 3rd downs because all he does is go up field, he doesn't play the run in those situations. Linebackers need work, I believe some better palyers are on the bench. Sash was out of position a few times which doesn't help either. But in the end the defense played well enough to win and the loss doesn't fall on the defense. Iowa still has a chance to win the big 10, play in a great bowl game so why are all the debbie downers coming out of the wood work?

"I believe some better palyers are on the bench."

good grief - - not this again.

[QUOTE=JonDMiller;226779]Math isn't my strong suit, so I won't be too hard on you.

Iowa's defense gave up one touchdown scoring drive that didn't start at it's own 8 yard line because of a blocked punt. It gave up ONE TD on a real drive. It also thwarted two other AZ drives that started on the AZ side of the field and forced field goals.

So on drives that started on the AZ side of the 50, the Iowa defense gave up 13 points. 13.

As for my prediction, yep it was wrong. I will issue everyone a full refund.[/QUOTE]

Haha! About that refund.... when will I get it and will it cover the $200 I lost on the game last night? ;)

I asked Jon Miller the same thing last night on this thread:
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/16223-miller-hawks-not-special-fall-arizona.html

He never answered my question, so what did you tell your son?
Also, you are correct, It's Great To Be A Hawkeye!

Last edited:

Dont worry, he got banned. haha

Iowa gave up almost 400 yards in offense....that is not a good performance.

Have you watched Iowa over the years? We always give up yards....yards are meaningless, points matter. The D was not great.....the guys we lost last year have something to do with that. We have some new players in key positions but those guys are capable and will play MUCH better from this experience.

This is a very good (not great) football team. We will challenge for the top 3 spots in the B10 conference.

Latest posts