Our D = beyond overrated

Seriously, Binns steps up and makes a HUGE play & how do we respond....9 play drive for the game-winning TD...

Our D is overrated and soft. Was Clayborn even on the field tonight?

Jon - sweet 12-0 pick.

Moreover where the hell were our LB's??? I saw sash and greenwood coming up to stop the run while the lb's just wandered out there in lala land. Very very poor LB crew.

Seriously, Binns steps up and makes a HUGE play & how do we respond....9 play drive for the game-winning TD...

Jon - sweet 12-0 pick.

clearly you forgot to watch the game.

the d gave a winning performance. special teams...notsomuch.

Jon - sweet 12-0 pick.

Math isn't my strong suit, so I won't be too hard on you.

Iowa's defense gave up one touchdown scoring drive that didn't start at it's own 8 yard line because of a blocked punt. It gave up ONE TD on a real drive. It also thwarted two other AZ drives that started on the AZ side of the field and forced field goals.

So on drives that started on the AZ side of the 50, the Iowa defense gave up 13 points. 13.

As for my prediction, yep it was wrong. I will issue everyone a full refund.

Lots of kool-aid drinkers on this board....I couldn't believe how many 12-0 predictions I saw after how many mediocre teams we squeaked by last year.

Iowa's defense gave up one touchdown scoring drive that didn't start at it's own 8 yard line because of a blocked punt. It gave up ONE TD on a real drive. It also thwarted two other AZ drives that started on the AZ side of the field and forced field goals.

So on drives that started on the AZ side of the 50, the Iowa defense gave up 13 points. 13.

Sad we gotta play damage control. Some people need to actually pay attention to a game before they post.

You can pay mine via paypal... remember that's exactly $0.00!!! :D

Keep up the good work, and being a voice of reason when the sky is falling for so many.

'ONE TD on a real drive'....my point exactly. If this was truly a national title-calibur D they would've stepped up and got a stop after tying the game. You think at Ohio State, 'It gave up ONE TD on a real drive' is acceptable? I think not....the difference between us and the true national powers.

Iowa gave up almost 400 yards in offense....that is not a good performance.

I don't think anyone is saying that we played lights out defensively. We didn't. But "overrated"? When we saw arguably the best offense we'll see all year, with a QB patient enough to take the short stuff? Give me a break.

I don't think you can blame the dline. They were getting rid of the ball so fast that it took the dline out of the game. I was left wondering why there were so many soft spots in the zone especially when we were in a 3 man line. And then to get beat deep no less.

I didn't know yards = Points........

Yards and points are actually highly correlated. It wasn't so much in this game, but these things tend to even out over the long run. Iowa will face better offenses than Arizona this year....we can't afford to let teams gash us like AZ did tonight.

'ONE TD on a real drive'....my point exactly. If this was truly a national title-calibur D they would've stepped up and got a stop after tying the game. You think at Ohio State, 'It gave up ONE TD on a real drive' is acceptable? I think not....the difference between us and the true national powers.

Oh yeah, I didn't know OSU has not given up any TD's to any teams this year? Man I hope they keep that up!

Yards and points are actually highly correlated. It wasn't so much in this game, but these things tend to even out over the long run. Iowa will face better offenses than Arizona this year....we can't afford to let teams gash us like AZ did tonight.

Does anyone not understand bend don't break? That is how our D is set up. We are going to allow yards, get over it.

whew. The best scoring defenses in the nation give up 15 points a game. Iowa answered the call so many times tonight. Foles throws a 38 yard picture perfect pass and his receiver had to dive to catch it. Sometimes, the other team has players, too

Iowa gave up almost 400 yards in offense....that is not a good performance.

Defensive performances are invariably reliant on the context of the game. Iowa got caught behind due to fluke plays (i.e. tipped ball converted into pick 6) and special teams blunders. As a result, Iowa was forced to almost exclusively pass.

The result of having to exclusively pass, is that in the 2nd half, our D was stuck on the field a TON. That's in STARK contrast to what usually happens with the Iowa team. Usually we get to pound the rock and eat up clock. That then helps to keep our D fresh ... AND, more importantly, it helps to keep the ball out of the opposing teams hands.

The fact of the matter is that Arizona has a quality O. Thus, whenever you give a quality O like that the ball for such a long time ... they're going to have success moving the ball.

Frankly, I was rather impressed with the overall defensive effort. It certainly could be improved upon ... however, it was still pretty decent.

Jon would agree with the other guys not impress with our D. Playing like that might get you 9 or 8 wins. Where is Clayborn??? I see him on TV and they talk about him a lot but do not see him in the backfield. Oh and our dbs and backers looked great in coverage.

Latest posts