Ott medical redshirt?

Why would he? He had the pre-season hype and would probably be better served proving himself in the combines. Time to go make some money.

I ran into his uncle, totally by accident, at my golf course.

He said Drew loves Iowa but not interested in a medical redshirt. He thought he will rehab, work out for scouts. As documented, Ott is a different cat. If he doesn't make the NFL, he's more than happy farming in Neb.

I would love to see him back.

Btw, his uncle is a very large human. Wow.

I ran into his uncle, totally by accident, at my golf course.

He said Drew loves Iowa but not interested in a medical redshirt. He thought he will rehab, work out for scouts. As documented, Ott is a different cat. If he doesn't make the NFL, he's more than happy farming in Neb.

I would love to see him back.

Btw, his uncle is a very large human. Wow.

IMO, that is the best move for him. Some NFL team is going to take a chance on him, I doubt it will be in the first round unless he can prove he is healthy in the combines.

Not possible, so just as well he wouldn't want to do it anyway. Someone recounted, accurately, that we only saw 1 1/2 games this year with of a fully healthy Ott. What a shame - for him and us.

IMO, that is the best move for him. Some NFL team is going to take a chance on him, I doubt it will be in the first round unless he can prove he is healthy in the combines.

He might be a late round pick due to the injuries but he should land somewhere eventually. May require a team with patience who will let him rehab and spend some time on the practice squad first. Would not be surprised to see somebody like the Packers or New England take a chance on him.

Unfortunately, there is no way he will get a medical redshirt this year. He has played in 6 games this season and NCAA rules state that you must have played in less that 30% of the games of the season (including post season). So even if we win out and play in the National Championship, (6 of 15 would be 40%) he would have played in too many games.

He will however, regardless of being drafted or not, be on an NFL team next year. "In the Coach Ferentz Era, 52 Hawkeyes have been selected in the NFL Draft, 115 Hawkeyes have been in an NFL camp, and 92% of all senior starters have either been selected on draft day or signed a free agent contract." ~ GoHawks.com Ott will not be one of the 8%.

Unfortunately, there is no way he will get a medical redshirt this year. He has played in 6 games this season and NCAA rules state that you must have played in less that 30% of the games of the season (including post season). So even if we win out and play in the National Championship, (6 of 15 would be 40%) he would have played in too many games.

He will however, regardless of being drafted or not, be on an NFL team next year. "In the Coach Ferentz Era, 52 Hawkeyes have been selected in the NFL Draft, 115 Hawkeyes have been in an NFL camp, and 92% of all senior starters have either been selected on draft day or signed a free agent contract." ~ GoHawks.com Ott will not be one of the 8%.

He played in 5. Still to many. If they count quarters it be 4 games. What might help is he had elbow surgery after game 2.
Probably long shot.

Seems silly to me that he would apply if it was a forgone conclusion....

I'm holding on to there being a chance, even if it is a very very slight chance.

How about both Ott and King back for the 2016 Iowa Defense??? One can only hope.

So much potential. The LBs, and Jaleel are really going to come into their own next year too.

Edit: I do think he has a lot of potential if he plays another year at Iowa. Another year of S+C would make him a monster. If he isn't 100% going into the combine, which I assume he doesn't think he's going to be if he applied for one, I think it's the right move.

It's going to be great to see him back on the team next year. He has played in less than 3 years worth of games so it makes sense that he will be granted the red shirt.

Latest posts