Ott medical redshirt?

Unfortunately, there is no way he will get a medical redshirt this year. He has played in 6 games this season and NCAA rules state that you must have played in less that 30% of the games of the season (including post season). So even if we win out and play in the National Championship, (6 of 15 would be 40%) he would have played in too many games.

He will however, regardless of being drafted or not, be on an NFL team next year. "In the Coach Ferentz Era, 52 Hawkeyes have been selected in the NFL Draft, 115 Hawkeyes have been in an NFL camp, and 92% of all senior starters have either been selected on draft day or signed a free agent contract." ~ GoHawks.com Ott will not be one of the 8%.

A factor that may work in his favor, is that he didn't play until the 8th game of the season his Freshman year. I would imagine that's something the NCAA has to consider, right? Hope so at least...

Three criteria have to be met for a player to receive a medical waiver. The player must have been injured in the first-half of the season. Second, the player must have participated in no more than thirty percent of the teams scheduled games. Finally, the injury must be season ending.

Many people do not understand the thirty percent requirement. Thirty percent of twelve is 3.60. However, the NCAA rounds up to the nearest whole number (four). Therefore, if Ott played in only four games, he did not play in more than thirty percent of Iowa's scheduled games.

Who was that QB that came to Iowa went to Illinois and played what seemed like about 6 years? Are their any cases that compares to Ott's situation? To get an idea if he has a chance?

Who was that QB that came to Iowa went to Illinois and played what seemed like about 6 years? Are their any cases that compares to Ott's situation? To get an idea if he has a chance?

Former Hawk WBB player Thierra Taylor tore her ACL her junior year (for the third time, I believe). She had already used up her redshirt year recovering from a previous ACL, and she had played 1 game too many to be eligible (really, one quarter too many, as she got hurt right away in the game that put her over the limit). She had a healthy (and very good) senior year, and she applied for a 6th year. In addition to missing most of her junior year, she had missed time in previous seasons as well. She was not granted an exception.

I would say the big difference in this case is that Ott is petitioning for a 5th year, not a 6th.

Former Hawk WBB player Thierra Taylor tore her ACL her junior year (for the third time, I believe). She had already used up her redshirt year recovering from a previous ACL, and she had played 1 game too many to be eligible (really, one quarter too many, as she got hurt right away in the game that put her over the limit). She had a healthy (and very good) senior year, and she applied for a 6th year. In addition to missing most of her junior year, she had missed time in previous seasons as well. She was not granted an exception.

I would say the big difference in this case is that Ott is petitioning for a 5th year, not a 6th.

Ott is petitioning for a sixth year!

Ott has played in only four games. He dislocated his elbow in the first quarter Sept. 12 at Iowa State. Ott did not play in the next two games. He looked good Oct. 3 in playing a full game at Wisconsin, then was lost for the season in the third quarter Oct. 10 against Illinois.

A hard working guy ... I hope the NCAA grants it.

Actually, it's the B1G Ten & not the NCAA. It's a two tiered process. Ott applies to the B1G for the medical hardship waiver. If the B1G grants the request, Ott has his hardship waiver. However, if the B1G denies the request, Ott may appeal the determination to the NCAA.

Ott has played in only four games. He dislocated his elbow in the first quarter Sept. 12 at Iowa State. Ott did not play in the next two games. He looked good Oct. 3 in playing a full game at Wisconsin, then was lost for the season in the third quarter Oct. 10 against Illinois.

I am going by the official profile on http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/drew_ott_810172.html
Says that he has played in 6 games this season. He played against Illinois St, Iowa State (injured during game), Pittsburg (limited action), North Texas, Wisconsin, Illinois (injured during game).

Hope he gets it but not too likely. It sure doesn't hurt to try.

It'd be great to get Drew back for next year's title run. And Matt Roth.

attachment.php

Attachments

• matt-roth-boyscout.jpg
    matt-roth-boyscout.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts