Ott denied, going pro.

Two things. 1) Why did the NCAA take this long? 2) Why have an appeal process? If they want to set a standard of 30%, then either you're within the standard or not, and be done with it. A great waste of time for Ott (and any one else who cared, which did not include those at the NCAA).

Yea 5he appeal process seems like a waste of time. I would assume you would give all of your info the first time around so why would they change their minds.

It was quite a long shot to begin with, but the amount of time it took to give an answer was outrageous.
TBH, I gotta wonder if he will ever be the player he once was. Time will tell.:(

The request was frivolous. It was a wing & a prayer that the waiver would be granted.
I think having an appeal process when you've articulated a bright line standard is frivolous. It creates an appearance of being magnaminous. I can't blame Drew or the UI for availing itself of the process. Can anyone recite the cases that another year was granted where the player exceeded the 30% rule?

That said, I can see why the NCAA would not want to grant extra years, it has the potential to open up to a lot of players who would want an extra year. Just draw the line, and call it over, that's my primary point.

I think having an appeal process when you've articulated a bright line standard is frivolous. It creates an appearance of being magnaminous. I can't blame Drew or the UI for availing itself of the process. Can anyone recite the cases that another year was granted where the player exceeded the 30% rule?

That said, I can see why the NCAA would not want to grant extra years, it has the potential to open up to a lot of players who would want an extra year. Just draw the line, and call it over, that's my primary point.

Please, can anyone on this board give me an example of a player that exceeded the thirty-percent rule & was granted a fifth or sixth year.

Please, can anyone on this board give me an example of a player that exceeded the thirty-percent rule & was granted a fifth or sixth year.

Any suit Ott files against the NCAA will be blown out of court. Plus, Ott, in most jurisdictions will have to pay legal fees for the opposition attorneys because of a frivolous law suit Unless, Ott can show that there were other players that exceeded the thirty percent rule & were granted a fifth or sixth year, the suit will be dismissed almost immediately.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. Seriously how can we support the legal fund for Drew Ott to sue the NCAA over this?
Too late. He's hired an agent. He's now ineligible.

Even if he hadn't, as much as Drew liked being a Hawkeye, I doubt staying an amateur for the next 18 months just to test whether he has a case for a medical redshirt would be worth the wait. You think the NCAA strung this out - wait until they get sued - it would make this decision look like it happened in the span of time itwould take to watch an Iowa game in the accelerated BigTen in 60. Ask Ed O'Bannon.

He took his shot, time to turn the page. Unless there is body of precedent, it's a lot of pining by fans for something that never was (or in the future, is) going to happen.

I think Ott will get drafted in the 7th round by someone. If he gets fully healed he could be a homerun pick.

Dude basically got screwed over for being too tough and having high pain tolerance. Bad luck all around. Good luck going forward to Drew and I hope he is somehow able to find the right situation in the NFL.

P.S. Really not liking this new setup.

Dude basically got screwed over for being too tough and having high pain tolerance. Bad luck all around. Good luck going forward to Drew and I hope he is somehow able to find the right situation in the NFL.

P.S. Really not liking this new setup.
Not sure the Hawks win the Wisconsin game without Ott - big sack/strip of Stave, a couple of big stops on runs, plus his general presence shuts off part of the field. Sucks for 2016, but he was key to the Hawks going 12-0.

Any suit Ott files against the NCAA will be blown out of court. Plus, Ott, in most jurisdictions will have to pay legal fees for the opposition attorneys because of a frivolous law suit Unless, Ott can show that there were other players that exceeded the thirty percent rule & were granted a fifth or sixth year, the suit will be dismissed almost immediately.

Frivolous? Ha! You clearly don't know much about the law. Additionally, if you go by quarters Ott was under 30%. If you go by games he was over. It wasn't clear how the NCAA defines 30% and therefore it made perfect sense for him to appeal. Seriously man, why are you so angry about this??

As I have frequently said to the management level people who worked for me: "If you want a rule for everything, then let me know. I will get rid of you and just follow the rule book. You are not getting paid a big salary to simply follow rules, but rather to make reasonable and smart exceptions, and then be ready to take the heat."

I would give the NCAA the same advice, with the Drew Ott case as a prime example.

Obviously there shouldn't be a suit against the NCAA. I think this was an appeal to common sense, and that NCAA has none of that. Basically the NCAA penalized the kid for trying to play through what is normally a season ending injury.

The NCAA is a joke. They should be sued for saying they are for promoting the "student athlete" when in fact they are for promoting and advancing themselves. Let a kid visit a school in the summer? Nope, SEC doesn't want that. Let a kid go to a local camp because they can't affor to travel so NCAA coaches see them and possibly offer them? Nope, SEC doesn't want it. Play 1 down of 1 quarter, and that = 1 game played. So many stupid and archaic rules that are not promoting the best interests of the student athlete.