Others have said we need ISU to have a good record....

For what, though??

The only way to win the Big Ten title is to qualify via your own record and win the game.

The only way to get into the CFP is to win the Big Ten Title.

ISU's record has zero bearing on any of that.

Unless you're talking about the difference between being invited to the Piggly Wiggly Bowl or the Ron's Good Muffler Shop Bowl, ISU's record doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

Exactly. But even in the above highlighted scenario...it means zero. A better bowl would take IOWA because of how the fans travel. They wouldn't give two shits how well our 3rd week opponent did. Picking at insignificant details while missing the big picture has become a National pastime...both in and out of sports.

We won on the road in a very hostile environment that was extra jacked because GD was there. We did that despite missing 5 starters and our top 2 backup DB's.

Against a team that Illinois could challenge, with Northwestern-level talent and Nebraska-level execution.

Late to this thread but Iowa doesn't need ISU to have a good record if we're dreaming about playoffs IMO. ISU being a good team would help, sure - but If Iowa goes undefeated, they'll have wins over Michigan, PSU and Wisconsin. Two of those on the road. That would be good enough, I'd have to think. That's assuming Michigan gets their $h!t together and ends up being a good team like usual. Even then.. undefeated probably gets us in. The likelihood of that is obviously low, but if we're going to dream..

But lose a game and we're likely out. These next two games are huge, to say the least.

Zero significance with respect to outside perception. However, I do think gaining experience by playing on the road in that environment will have a lot of significance internally. You get better at something the more you do it.

Just in case we have a stellar record. We followed the ISU score on the radio during the drive back from kinnick and only saw the last 6-7 minutes of their game. So what was ISU's problem the first 3 qtrs?

What little I watched Baylor was getting good pressure and flushing Purdy with only a 3 and 4 man rush. Does that make our front 4 seem weak now? What was ISU's problems. And then they get the lead and look like some of KF's team pissing it down their leg. This could be a loss they regret as KState, OU Texas, W Virg, now Okie ST is looking better
Go away

The only reason ISU couldn't put up shade tents is because they didn't send notice during the week that they were going to do so. It was a very simple matter, and they botched it. Blame Pollard, or Campbell, or whomever it is on the staff to submit these things. It seems that Campbell just doesn't do the small details very well.

Similar to PSU not bringing sideline heaters i n 2008. I remember their punter huddling/cowering/quivering like a little bitch between two big equipment boxes.

We won't get to Indy unless we're undefeated. And say we beat Ohio State there - do we get in to be the #4 team in the country, or did we just open up a slot for 2 sec teams, Clemson, and ND?

IMHO, Iowa's not going to the playoffs this or any year. The real unwritten rule is, unless you are USC, Texas, Alabama, OSU, LSU, Florida, Gerogia, Auburn, ND, or Oklahoma you aren't ever going to be in. It's just not happening. College football is a secret, one conference championship between those ten teams and everyone else is just chasing pixie dust. The NC is just as mythical with the playoffs as it ever was before.
Michigan State got in. If Iowa could have held off one TD drive, they would have gotten in instead. Washington and Oregon have made it. Take the tinfoil hat off. Undefeated P5 conference champions will always have a seat at the table, until we have an example of one who doesn’t.

Michigan State got in. If Iowa could have held off one TD drive, they would have gotten in instead. Washington and Oregon have made it. Take the tinfoil hat off. Undefeated P5 conference champions will always have a seat at the table, until we have an example of one who doesn’t.

Well, two SEC teams are automatic, then 2 of the three undefeated other P5 champions, one of whom will be Clemson, and 1 loss ND. So Clemson's in, and if you let a 1-loss Sec team in that only lost to Bama in the SEC championship, then ND has an argument (and higher ratings than Iowa). If it's Oklahoma/1-loss ND/ Iowa fighting for the last spot, the playoff committee is going to choose Oklahoma 1st, 1-loss ND second, and undefeated Iowa 3rd. It's the 4 "best" teams, not the 4 "most deserving." So, barring two losses by ND and a loss by Clemson / Oklahoma, I don't see any Big team other than OSU getting in. They have the ratings and the brand and the recruiting rankings. Iowa, PSU, and Wisconsin don't.

Well, two SEC teams are automatic, then 2 of the three undefeated other P5 champions, one of whom will be Clemson, and 1 loss ND. So Clemson's in, and if you let a 1-loss Sec team in that only lost to Bama in the SEC championship, then ND has an argument (and higher ratings than Iowa). If it's Oklahoma/1-loss ND/ Iowa fighting for the last spot, the playoff committee is going to choose Oklahoma 1st, 1-loss ND second, and undefeated Iowa 3rd. It's the 4 "best" teams, not the 4 "most deserving." So, barring two losses by ND and a loss by Clemson / Oklahoma, I don't see any Big team other than OSU getting in. They have the ratings and the brand and the recruiting rankings. Iowa, PSU, and Wisconsin don't.
Look back at the last ten seasons. How many times were there more than two undefeated conference champions? I’m not sure you realize how much of an edge case we’re talking about here. A one loss ND team absolutely does not get in shards of an undefeated Big Ten champ.

Look back at the last ten seasons. How many times were there more than two undefeated conference champions? I’m not sure you realize how much of an edge case we’re talking about here. A one loss ND team absolutely does not get in shards of an undefeated Big Ten champ.

Well, Iowa going undefeated and winning the championship has happened twice in 130 years, so that's .015 probability x .25 for >3 undefeated P5 champions + ND x .5 for a 1-loss BT team getting in = 0.1% chance of that happening. An undefeated BT team has never made it to the CFP, nor been left out, but several 1-loss Big Ten Teams have been left out.

If we take Iowa out of it, a 1-loss BTT team has been left out .25 x .5 x .25 = a 3.01% chance of it happening.

So 0.1% (for Iowa going undefeated and 3 other unbeaten powers and a 1 - loss Power) and 3.01% chance that any 1-loss Big champion misses the playoffs. Not big odds, certainly.

so that's .015 probability x .25 for >3 undefeated P5 champions + ND x .5 for a 1-loss BT team getting in = 0.1% chance of that happening.

No idea what that means, but.... "good ciphering, Jethro!"

(everybody knows a real formula involves the square root of pi, though)

Well, Iowa going undefeated and winning the championship has happened twice in 130 years, so that's .015 probability x .25 for >3 undefeated P5 champions + ND x .5 for a 1-loss BT team getting in = 0.1% chance of that happening. An undefeated BT team has never made it to the CFP, nor been left out, but several 1-loss Big Ten Teams have been left out.

If we take Iowa out of it, a 1-loss BTT team has been left out .25 x .5 x .25 = a 3.01% chance of it happening.

So 0.1% (for Iowa going undefeated and 3 other unbeaten powers and a 1 - loss Power) and 3.01% chance that any 1-loss Big champion misses the playoffs. Not big odds, certainly.
Iowa’s odds increase because of the playoff system. Many years an undefeated Iowa wouldn’t have made it under the BCS systems

Hahaha where the hell are you coming up with this math?

It sure doesn't hurt us if ISU does well. But I just don't like them so I took pleasure in watching that. I like when they stink and get beat. If beating them hurts us then to me that's when it's time to look for a new non con opponent.

Uhhhhhhhhh wut???

giphy.gif

Latest posts