OT: Usernames

I actually put a little thought into mine.

I wanted to tie Iowa into my name where fans who saw it would recognize it but not blatantly obvious. I used two of the most known streets in Iowa City so anybody whose been to Iowa City to a game would recognize. The intersection of Melrose Ave and Hawkins Dr. is the address for Kinnick Stadium.
I use it for all my Usernames on any site. It's always available and I thought any obscure fan from another part of the country may know what it means if they think about it and put it together. Only real Iowa fans know what sits at Melrose and Hawkins or maybe a fan of another BIG Ten team that's been to Kinnick.

Last edited:
Holy shit. My mom's entire side of the family is from the Corinth area starting in the 50s and Jackson, MS from there back.
Yeah Corinth is one of the places we go to watch movies sometimes. I can get there in less then an hour. Last time I went there was to watch the Globetrotters do their thing. Which was a great time btw I don't care how old you are they are awesome.

Mine is lame as hell. I yell "Go Hawks" a lot, especially at Iowa sporting events and my favorite number has always been 24. Side note- I can't remember who it was, but somebody used to make fun of me for it about 5-6 years back. I don't think they're on the board any longer.

That sucks. Tennessee is a really wide state. I don't think I'd really want to live that far west in Tennessee.
Yeah but it's cheaper. I love it. Cost of living is way cheaper out here then it is closer to the cities and you get out closer to the pretty mountains out east it's significantly more. I work from home and am such a homebody anymore that having city stuff close by doesn't entice me. I enjoy having 13 acres for my puppy and I to have our run of the place. No close neighbors about half mile away. Hell the county is even going to repave the road I live on pretty soon (way long past over due have needed it since I moved here 10 yrs ago) so I'm spoiled rotten as far as I'm concerned. If I could just get my sports back on TV...

Just a bar in Fort Worth Texas that I had heard about. Went in and had a beer, watched a indoor rodeo, and got the hell out of there. It's located in the old stockyards area.

Nothing fancy or gimmicky, UIhawk82 has a pretty easy first part and no the 82 was not my age. I graduated there in '76 and '82 so I just chose the 82.

Mine is a take off of my last name, which is pronounced "Sly" but spelled much differently. I was in college when Hayden Fry came to Iowa and some of my friends jokingly starting calling me Hayden Sly at the time.

Played soccer thru birth thru college. 22 was my number. I always loved football but at that time high school soccer and football were both fall sports and I knew I wanted to play college soccer when I was younger so never had the chance to play High school football. The football coach had talked to me about place kicking for the football team and initially told me that since both practices were simultaneous that I could work on place kicking after practice.

Shortly before the preseason started he changed his mind and thought I was going to quit playing soccer to kick for the football team, and anyone who knew me knew there was no chance in hell that was going to happen. He never caught on and got royally pissed about it. Teammates started calling me "kicker" as a backhanded jab at the football coach and it just stuck.

I moved to Missouri in 1992. And sometimes I feel like I am the only Iowa fan in the state. Whenever I see a person wearing Iowa gear, I say "Go Hawks!" and the other day at wal-mart I was flying the tiger hawk on y shirt and a guy said "Go Hawks!" to me. Always a special moment.

As we know the logo is called a Tigerhawk, which I absolutely love. Named a team that in a sim football league i was in.

So I live in Missouri and the name of the logo.

Which is a long way to sign into this forum by the way.

GoHawks24-- 24 is also Nile Kinnicks number. My daughter wore that number throughout her basketball career. Not that I influenced that at all.

Many of you know the story behind my moniker. I grew up on Dubuque's North End where many of our fathers worked at John Deere or the old Dubuque Pack, or one of the industrial plants on Kerper Blvd. near the river.

It was a rough neighborhood then and it's just gotten rougher. For all the typical mischief we got in growing up I wouldn't dare want my kids growing up there now. But I've tried to take the lessons I learned from that environment about having to work for what you got and I hope I never stop applying them.

Coming in from Wisconsin hwy 151 makes a long sweeping curve near the 11th Street exit. On your right you will see the twin steeples of my childhood church, as well as some of the griminess of the north end. Traveling from Iowa into Wisconsin this will all be on your left.

Many of you know the story behind my moniker. I grew up on Dubuque's North End where many of our fathers worked at John Deere or the old Dubuque Pack, or one of the industrial plants on Kerper Blvd. near the river.

It was a rough neighborhood then and it's just gotten rougher. For all the typical mischief we got in growing up I wouldn't dare want my kids growing up there now. But I've tried to take the lessons I learned from that environment about having to work for what you got and I hope I never stop applying them.

Coming in from Wisconsin hwy 151 makes a long sweeping curve near the 11th Street exit. On your right you will see the twin steeples of my childhood church, as well as some of the griminess of the north end. Traveling from Iowa into Wisconsin this will all be on your left.

This is one of the most interesting stories I have heard. I grew up in Coralville in the biggest house on my block. We lived an upper middle class life. Or more. I dont know. We were members of the Elks club which has a 9 hole golf course and a pool. Maybe we were rich?

Of course I traveled the entire area, but I do not remember an area like this. I know City High grads pulled people to IC, but I did not know there was a hard core blue collar area like this.

Things you learn.

Latest posts