OT: Usernames

When I was a sophomore Music Ed Major at Iowa, Miles Davis performed in concert at Hancher. I was unable to get tickets, but sent a Miles Davis poster I had with some of my friends who did have tickets.

After the concert, they tried to take it backstage and were approached by his manager who said “you might as well go, Miles NEVER signs autographs.”

They waited anyway and when Miles came out of his dressing room, they unrolled the poster for him to see. The poster was a black and white photo of him as a younger trumpeter kneeling on the words “Classic Jazz”. When he saw it, in his raspy voice he said “Oh man, ain’t ever gonna look like dat again.”

He grabbed the Sharpie they had and began drawing on it (he was a visual artist, too). He drew a profile of a head around the picture of himself kneeling, with the eye a “sideways v” like you would draw in a profile, but the eyeball was clearly pointed back at the head of the young Miles in the photo. My friends said he “left”, as in was reminiscing when he was that young, “looking back at himself”.

He then signed “Miles” while saying out loud “Miles”. Asked who’s this to? They said “Mike”, so he wrote “Mike” while saying my name, then said “you’re a dog” and signed “Dog”.

So I’ve always said Miles Davis gave me my nickname, MikeDog. 70 is the year I was born...just turned the big 5-0 on Wednesday!

By the way, the poster is now matted and professionally framed and hung prominent in my home. It was on display for a year at the African American History Museum in Cedar Rapids. I tried to call to get a value placed on it, some bozo I talked to at Christie’s made it sound like my autograph was on a cocktail napkin and also told me “typically, one name autographs aren’t worth much”.....this was MILES! He goes by one name mostly and most musicians know who you mean when you say Miles. Anyway, it’s priceless in my mind.

What may make it even more valuable is the profile he drew with the eye looking back as it has meaning from him and very personalized. I'll give ya $50 for it.

Gary Larsen Returns.....

13farside-cast-articleLarge.jpg

13farside-kid-articleLarge.jpg

merlin_160888869_5ac00cba-5236-4e89-bc12-cff80e90f824-articleLarge.jpg

And this latest cartoons

https://www.thefarside.com/new-stuff/115/taxidermist

Just click the arrow for two more.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/...te=1&user_id=12de1a49e05de3e169160ec7fa9ddf96

Alright Alright Alright

:cool:

Love the Hawks....ALWAYS! ALWAYS! ALWAYS!
21 College baseball jersey # Clemente
Hs baseball jersey #5 #George Brett (wasn't available in college)

#Hawks
#Steelers - Steel Curtain
#Pirates - We are family
#Penguins - Lemeiux!!!
#Lakers - Showtime!!
#USA - Murica!

Nothing special here. I used to live in Vermont so that is how I came up with VTHawk.
Roll through Vermont on the way to New Hampshire and relatives every year. Bennington is a nice stop. Gorgeous area in the fall. VT begins the "Norman Rockwell-esque" portion of my year. If you've never been to the New England states in the fall then you can't fully appreciate America! :)

Not a pilot nor an airplane salesman, but my one weird talent (everyone has one) is that I can identify pretty much any modern airplane by sight. Definitely any US, Russian, or European military aircraft or twin/4 engine commercial airliner. It’s weird, I know.

I always wanted to be a pilot growing up and from the earliest I can remember, before even preschool age, I ravenously read or looked at every aviation book I could find. It never stopped as I got older.

I can tell an F-18A/C model from an E/F model from a hell of a long ways away, I can look at an F-16 and even tell you which block of engine production it is from some subtle clues. C5 Galaxy A/B/C models from C5M (upgraded from the T39 engines to the CF6 that are on the 767 and 747, et al).

I can identify all Boeing planes from the 707 up through the 787 including all the dash numbers (some of the 777s are tough because they’re the same length), Airbus—same thing. I can tell you an A320 neo from a legacy model, and differentiate on sight between a Pratt&Whitney, Rolls Royce, or GE engine on any airliner (without seeing their emblems). Also Embraer, Bombardier, McDonnell Douglas planes, you name it.

I could also identify at least the manufacturer/model from cockpit pictures. The dash classifications are pretty impossible from just a single cockpit picture but I could more than likely narrow it down.

It’s the absolute weirdest thing in the world to be ultra nerd-level proficient in, and it’s worth nothing more than stumping people who don’t believe you. I wish I could operate the stock market like that. I’m a walking stupid human trick.
I'm with you on growing up wanting to be a fighter pilot. I even had some conversations with the Naval Academy, but ended up losing my 20:20 vision during that time and was disqualified before the fact. They started pushing the idea of navigator, but I basically told them that if I wasn't on the stick, I wasn't interested.

It was depressing at the time. Top Gun came out shortly after and I couldn't watch the movie for 5 years or so. My room as a teen was stocked with models I put together of F-15s, F-16s, A-10s and even a P-51. I had a huge poster of an SR-71 on the wall.

I'm far from an expert now, but I do pay attention somewhat to advances being made.

What do you think of the new upgraded F-15 EX? Personally, other than the lack of thrust-vectoring, I'm a big fan. That said, it's disconcerting that the military felt the need to do so after investing billions into the F-22 and F-35. For that amount of money, it's sobering to realize that the defense department came to the conclusion that not all of the air-dominance platforms were covered and went back to what worked in the first place, though it's possible that the primary aim is to market it overseas.

Last edited:
What do you think of the new upgraded F-15 EX? Personally, I'm a big fan. Other than lacking stealth, it's a monster. That said, it's disconcerting that the military felt the need to do so after investing billions into the F-22 and F-35. For that amount of money, it's sobering to realize that the defense department came to the conclusion that not all of the air-dominance platforms were covered and went back to what worked in the first place.

I ain't an expert, but I think all the planes are moot now in any sort of conflict between first world countries. Yeah, they're fine if you're going in to wax the shit out of some country that has leftover 1970's Soviet surplus or a bunch of goat farmers with 50 year old anti-aircraft guns mounted on a Toyota, but there ain't no way you're gonna risk a plane and pilot against a comparably armed enemy today. Just no way.

I ain't an expert, but I think all the planes are moot now in any sort of conflict between first world countries. Yeah, they're fine if you're going in to wax the shit out of some country that has leftover 1970's Soviet surplus or a bunch of goat farmers with 50 year old anti-aircraft guns mounted on a Toyota, but there ain't no way you're gonna risk a plane and pilot against a comparably armed enemy today. Just no way.

That definitely will be true in about 20-30 years. Modern warfare will be VERY different than it is now, with AI, drones and space-based platforms dominating. The era of the classic fighter is slowly coming to an end.

That said, I wouldn't assume there is no role currently. While it's very unlikely you would see traditional dogfights between, say, the U.S. and Russia or China, the need to maintain that "edge" remains important. The U.S. has invested heavily in stealth and BVR capability, almost to a fault, which you can bet keeps adversaries up at night and serves as a major deterrent.

And, let's face it. Many of these technologies are produced to keep the overseas marketing pipeline going. Numerous countries routinely line up to purchase the latest and greatest, all in the name of all-important national security. For example, I wouldn't be surprised one iota if Saudi Arabia and Israel both end up with more F-15 EXs (and probably the newly updated A-10) in their stockpiles than we do.

That definitely will be true in about 20-30 years. Modern warfare will be VERY different than it is now, with AI, drones and space-based platforms dominating. The era of the classic fighter is slowly coming to an end.

That said, I wouldn't assume there is no role currently. While it's very unlikely you would see traditional dogfights between, say, the U.S. and Russia or China, the need to maintain that "edge" remains important. The U.S. has invested heavily in stealth and BVR capability, almost to a fault, which you can bet keeps adversaries up at night and serves as a major deterrent.

And, let's face it. Many of these technologies are produced to keep the overseas marketing pipeline going. Numerous countries routinely line up to purchase the latest and greatest, all in the name of all-important national security. For example, I wouldn't be surprised one iota if Saudi Arabia and Israel both end up with more F-15 EXs (and probably the newly updated A-10) in their stockpiles than we do.

I don't know, man. My guess is if we had an actual scrap with someone like China our carrier fleet would be a reef within a few days and the front bases in Asia would be parking lots within 12 hours. Of course, we'd take out their huge hydro-dams and they'd have no electricity. It would be a monstrous shit show and that's just with conventional stuff. If you can launch 1,000 missiles at a base or carrier group, there is no effin' way you could stop all of them and I have to think that overrunning a defense system is going to be the first strike if there was a war between modern superpowers. Even assuming away nuclear devices, a war between two well-armed countries today would be downright terrifying.

I don't know, man. My guess is if we had an actual scrap with someone like China our carrier fleet would be a reef within a few days and the front bases in Asia would be parking lots within 12 hours. Of course, we'd take out their huge hydro-dams and they'd have no electricity. It would be a monstrous shit show and that's just with conventional stuff. If you can launch 1,000 missiles at a base or carrier group, there is no effin' way you could stop all of them and I have to think that overrunning a defense system is going to be the first strike if there was a war between modern superpowers. Even assuming away nuclear devices, a war between two well-armed countries today would be downright terrifying.
That's a different discussion than whether or not traditional dogfighting will occur between superpowers.

Nevertheless, as it stands right now, a traditional Pacific war with China would not go well for us. That's for sure. China has invested mightily, and I mean mightily, to secure their stance in the region. However, there has been a major behind-the-scenes push within our defense over the past three years to counter that. Some of the technology rumored to be coming out is mind-blowing, so the balance could shift in a hurry.

Also, the great equalizer for us right now is our superior stealth technology (don't be fooled by the alarmists and conspiracy theorists, we remain way ahead of both China and Russia in stealth). Assuming we had time to prepare, we could cripple a good portion of China's capability before they even have a chance to initiate. As you correctly pointed out, though, the sheer number of weapons would be hard for us to overcome.

Hopefully, we'll never find out.

That's a different discussion than whether or not traditional dogfighting will occur between superpowers.

Nevertheless, as it stands right now, a traditional Pacific war with China would not go well for us. That's for sure. China has invested mightily, and I mean mightily, to secure their stance in the region. However, there has been a major behind-the-scenes push within our defense over the past three years to counter that. Some of the technology rumored to be coming out is mind-blowing, so the balance could shift in a hurry.

Also, the great equalizer for us right now is our superior stealth technology (don't be fooled by the alarmists and conspiracy theorists, we remain way ahead of both China and Russia in stealth). Assuming we had time to prepare, we could cripple a good portion of China's capability before they even have a chance to initiate. As you correctly pointed out, though, the sheer number of weapons would be hard for us to overcome.

Hopefully, we'll never find out.

Dog fighting wouldn't happen. No way. Even in the '80's when the F-14s shot down that Libyan MiG it was from like 25 miles away. I'm just saying I don't know that we would be able to get a plane off the ground and over a target (and by over target I mean by modern terms where it means getting a missile within a few hundred miles before launch) in China.

With that crap like those rail guns and the drone submarines that are basically just an autonomous torpedo, I honestly don't think a modern navy could last much longer than a week in an all out war. Hell, the biggest battle would probably be to get into space to knock out the other guy's satellites. If you could take out the bad guys' satellites and keep yours you would be guaranteed victory. An attack like Pearl Harbor today where the other side crippled your satellites and hit all of your carriers and bases simultaneously before declaring war would be unimaginably bad.

Mine isn't anything special. I live in Charles City, hence chucktown. And I like Chucktown Brown

My ole stomping ground. We called it Chucktown to. Did our grocery shopping growing up at mainly Fairway (old one off main). Used to have a Pamida and Red Owl back in the day. You might be too young though.

Dog fighting wouldn't happen. No way. Even in the '80's when the F-14s shot down that Libyan MiG it was from like 25 miles away. I'm just saying I don't know that we would be able to get a plane off the ground and over a target (and by over target I mean by modern terms where it means getting a missile within a few hundred miles before launch) in China.

With that crap like those rail guns and the drone submarines that are basically just an autonomous torpedo, I honestly don't think a modern navy could last much longer than a week in an all out war. Hell, the biggest battle would probably be to get into space to knock out the other guy's satellites. If you could take out the bad guys' satellites and keep yours you would be guaranteed victory. An attack like Pearl Harbor today where the other side crippled your satellites and hit all of your carriers and bases simultaneously before declaring war would be unimaginably bad.
Agree about "traditional" dog-fighting. At this point, that term really applies more to who has the better stealth and BVR technologies, and, as of right now, we lead the world by a significant margin.

Planes are still going to play a major role for the next 20 years or so. To what degree I think depends in large part on who strikes first. Range is definitely an issue that has to be factored in, but our mid-air refueling capability is huge. If we launch squadrons of B2s, F-35s and F-22s (amongst others), we can do tremendous damage to communications and radar facilities and ground-based instillations before an enemy even knows what's going on. That, by far, is our biggest advantage.

Last edited:

Delivered again. F'ing hilarious!

My ole stomping ground. We called it Chucktown to. Did our grocery shopping growing up at mainly Fairway (old one off main). Used to have a Pamida and Red Owl back in the day. You might be too young though.
I'm actually a Waverly grad. Been here since '93. I was here when the Pamida was here. Red Owl? Heard of it, but it was gone.

Latest posts