OT: A Ton Of Pulled Pork

This may sound sacrilege, but I can barely eat smoked pulled pork any more. The first 18 months I had my smoker I made it so much with hickory from my buddy's NC place that I still can barely eat it a few years after the fact. I can occasionally eat some if it is smoked with apple wood, but I absolutely can't eat it on hickory. I tried every style of sauce, Charleston, NC, SC, Bama, KC, Memphis, it don't matter, I just can't eat it anymore.

The last time I did a shoulder I actually did it in the oven and then we crisped it on a flat top and made carnitas. It got rave reviews.
I’ve switched to ash. People completely ignore it and it’s my favorite smoking wood. It grows literally everywhere around here and cities are begging people to cut their ash trees down because the emerald ash borer has reached Iowa. There’s a free supply within a 5 minutes in any direction that would last me a million lifetimes. It’s very similar to alder/pecan, and it burns forever because it’s crazy dense. Basically ash checks every single box you could want in a smoking wood unless you’re after something harsh like mesquite.

This may sound sacrilege, but I can barely eat smoked pulled pork any more. The first 18 months I had my smoker I made it so much with hickory from my buddy's NC place that I still can barely eat it a few years after the fact. I can occasionally eat some if it is smoked with apple wood, but I absolutely can't eat it on hickory. I tried every style of sauce, Charleston, NC, SC, Bama, KC, Memphis, it don't matter, I just can't eat it anymore.

The last time I did a shoulder I actually did it in the oven and then we crisped it on a flat top and made carnitas. It got rave reviews.

Apple wood is my go to as well. Subtle with a hint of sweetness to it.

What sauce(s) do you go with?
I usually whip a vinegar-based one up quick on the stove, I used to be into sweeter sauces but have gotten away from that the past few years. If you're interested I can share what I do. Not really a recipe, just a loose framework of simple ingredients.

I’ve switched to ash. People completely ignore it and it’s my favorite smoking wood. It grows literally everywhere around here and cities are begging people to cut their ash trees down because the emerald ash borer has reached Iowa. There’s a free supply within a 5 minutes in any direction that would last me a million lifetimes. It’s very similar to alder/pecan, and it burns forever because it’s crazy dense. Basically ash checks every single box you could want in a smoking wood unless you’re after something harsh like mesquite.

I really like White Spruce Pine. It has a really unique taste and holds on quite long.

I usually whip a vinegar-based one up quick on the stove, I used to be into sweeter sauces but have gotten away from that the past few years. If you're interested I can share what I do. Not really a recipe, just a loose framework of simple ingredients.
Nice.
I typically go with a vinegar/brown sugar/pepper sauce. Living in the South, I have tried quite a few local or regional sauces, but keep coming back to my old standby.
Maybe we could start a new category on the HN Forum for BBQ / grilling threads, recipes, tips, etc?

Apple wood is my go to as well. Subtle with a hint of sweetness to it.
Same here- hint: if you have a smoker with a water pan, use a mix of apple juice and water (I try for 50/50 of each). It adds a nice sweetness to the exterior, and you can smell that smoke a block away............

Using Weber kettles and now mostly Weber Smokey Mountain for my meat smoking. Hickory mostly, cherry as well. Pork butt, ribs, brisket, pork belly, it's all good just have to mix it up, why would one limit one's self??

The Masterbuilt automated charcoal devices look quite nice, maybe if I go big or get old I'd do something like that. Sure would make life simpler at a cost. Overnight smokes would be much much easier and I'm a charcoal guy as well. Prolly never cook on a wood pellet device unless I have some sort of mental breakdown / life changing event.

Using Weber kettles and now mostly Weber Smokey Mountain for my meat smoking. Hickory mostly, cherry as well. Pork butt, ribs, brisket, pork belly, it's all good just have to mix it up, why would one limit one's self??

The Masterbuilt automated charcoal devices look quite nice, maybe if I go big or get old I'd do something like that. Sure would make life simpler at a cost. Overnight smokes would be much much easier and I'm a charcoal guy as well. Prolly never cook on a wood pellet device unless I have some sort of mental breakdown / life changing event.
This Masterbuilt has replaced my previous smoker and grill (I still have them), it has the convenience of a pellet with charcoal or wood flavor.

Previously any grilling I did with a Weber kettle, but this Masterbuilt gets up to temp way faster. I wasn't sure how I'd like it since it's not direct/indirect over the coals, but the temp adjusts super quick. I can put steaks on at 250 for a half hour, then crank it to 600 to sear and its at 600 in a couple minutes or less. The MB800 also comes with a griddle top similar to a Blackstone which is really convenient.

I don't smoke, drink, gamble, or spend money on women so the cost evens out.

Putting an OT thread here because sports are over till September and it’s the slow season now.

Anyway, some of you guys know I do a lot of bbq. Welp I’m kind of a lunatic and I don’t know why but I’ve always kept track of what and how much I cooked. Pulled pork is my highest volume thing, followed by ribs, chicken, tri-tip, etc. not a brisket guy myself.

This weekend I did pork shoulders number 228 and 229 since I started keeping track and pushed my total weight just over 2,000 lbs. I don’t even want to think of how much charcoal and wood I’ve gone through by volume. It’d be truck loads.

A literal ton of pulled pork. Ribs I’m sure are just as many quantity, but they obviously don’t weigh as much. I need to find better things to do with my time.

That’s all I got. Was bored and just thought I’d post it. Flame away.

I thought this was going to be an invitation to a party...now I am just feeling disappointed.

This Masterbuilt has replaced my previous smoker and grill (I still have them), it has the convenience of a pellet with charcoal or wood flavor.

Previously any grilling I did with a Weber kettle, but this Masterbuilt gets up to temp way faster. I wasn't sure how I'd like it since it's not direct/indirect over the coals, but the temp adjusts super quick. I can put steaks on at 250 for a half hour, then crank it to 600 to sear and its at 600 in a couple minutes or less. The MB800 also comes with a griddle top similar to a Blackstone which is really convenient.

I don't smoke, drink, gamble, or spend money on women so the cost evens out.

How long have you had this unit? I've read some really mixed reviews and some are reporting a variety of issues. Nothing new to more mechanically driven grill/smoker units. I personally having issues with my Broil King pellet grill. It's a beast and the build quality is like no other but my controller is bad or the fan. I have less than 10 cooks on it in about a year and a half.

So, I'm curious how yours will hold up over time and you are a heavy user and a good threshold.

How long have you had this unit? I've read some really mixed reviews and some are reporting a variety of issues. Nothing new to more mechanically driven grill/smoker units. I personally having issues with my Broil King pellet grill. It's a beast and the build quality is like no other but my controller is bad or the fan. I have less than 10 cooks on it in about a year and a half.

So, I'm curious how yours will hold up over time and you are a heavy user and a good threshold.
Never had any issues with mine, like a lot of things you tend to hear the bad reviews instead of the good ones because people are pissed.

The issues I've heard and seen have typically been people that store theirs outside which is like any other smoker or grill. Weather is hard on stuff, especially where we live. Mine is stored in a garage anytime it's not being used.

You have an outdoor wood fired Millennial enabled oven.

Never had any issues with mine, like a lot of things you tend to hear the bad reviews instead of the good ones because people are pissed.

The issues I've heard and seen have typically been people that store theirs outside which is like any other smoker or grill. Weather is hard on stuff, especially where we live. Mine is stored in a garage anytime it's not being used.

You are correct. There seem to be many fan issues that I read but those are an easy fix. Correct on storing indoors. I store mine in the garage. Also, with pellets, any moisture will kill the pellets and saturate them bloating them up so they HAVE to be out of the weather and humidity.

Latest posts