Oregon and Washington decided to

With 18 teams, I assume the schedule for 2024 and beyond (or at least until they expand to 20) will only have 1 protected team for each school and rotate the other 16 every other year. I think Iowa will be matched with Nebraska, as Minnesota/Wisconsin will want to be matched together.

Iowa/Neb, Minn/Wisco, USC/UCLA, Wash/Ore, NW/Ill, Ind/Pur, Mich/Ohio St, MSU/PSU, Rut/MD

It will stink to only get Minn/Wisco every other year, but I think it's cool that we'll now see Wash, Ore, USC, UCLA every other year, and potential west coast road trips for us fans.

I would hate to be a schedule maker for the B10. Hell, the ink has barely dried from the first round of schedules.

The worst part will Iowa playing west coast road games at 9:30 central. I predict 5 years from now our record in pacific time zone games will be abysmal.
I wonder how far in advance they can feasibly travel with classes. I also wouldn’t be surprised if scheduling on these games featuring and eastern team heavily favors the 2:30 or later time slots.

With 18 teams, I assume the schedule for 2024 and beyond (or at least until they expand to 20) will only have 1 protected team for each school and rotate the other 16 every other year. I think Iowa will be matched with Nebraska, as Minnesota/Wisconsin will want to be matched together.

Iowa/Neb, Minn/Wisco, USC/UCLA, Wash/Ore, NW/Ill, Ind/Pur, Mich/Ohio St, MSU/PSU, Rut/MD

It will stink to only get Minn/Wisco every other year, but I think it's cool that we'll now see Wash, Ore, USC, UCLA every other year, and potential west coast road trips for us fans.
You think it’s cool, but the Ferentz’ vehemently disagrees with you. It means the days of hiding in the b10w is over as well as staying in their cocoon in general. They now have to actually beat real teams in order to get to a b10 negotiated bowl. One thing is for damn sure. If you think the Ferentz’ non- con schedules have been weak in the past, you haven’t seen anything like how it will be crafted in the future

I wonder if Iowa will start attracting good QBs (like Cade) or will it be more stanley and petras and their backups.

I wonder how far in advance they can feasibly travel with classes. I also wouldn’t be surprised if scheduling on these games featuring and eastern team heavily favors the 2:30 or later time slots.
agreed- I don't see the early (11am central, noon eastern where I live) being a west coast game. more of the afternoon/evening slots.

I just wish football would be split off as its own entity with conferences, television rights, and other NCAA rules, etc. Then form regional conferences for all other sports to make travel reasonable. Take all of the FBS schools + the big east and divide into 8-10 team pods and that is your new basketball, soccer, baseball, and swimming conferences. You still get your money form the big time football TV deals, plus you save money on traveling from Seattle Washington to College Park Maryland on a tuesday night with your volleyball team. Those players get a better educational environment, and you can actually travel easier to watch your team play if that is what you want.

Yould could twist my arm and throw men's basketball into the same league as your football team, but no reason to have these olympic sports who travel commercial having to bus to Cedar Rapids, fly to Phoenix for a connection, then onto Eugene Oregon. (I just checked google flights and this is a 7 hr and 11 trip not counting the bus trip to and from the airport) - vs the football team chartering a direct flight 6 times a year.

This may be the end of the line for Kirk.
One final winning season in the ' old' B10.
This is spot on. The days of teams like Iowa hanging around and sneaking into a championship game are done. We cannot compete with these PAC 12 teams in football or basketball. RIP B1G!

This may be the end of the line for Kirk.
One final winning season in the ' old' B10.
Yeah that Holiday Bowl ass kicking USC gave the Hawks a couple years ago still hurts...
This is spot on. The days of teams like Iowa hanging around and sneaking into a championship game are done. We cannot compete with these PAC 12 teams in football or basketball. RIP B1G!
All sarcasm aside, as someone approaching 60 I can tell you that major change is not part of the comfort zone.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Kirk hung it up after this season. A whole new conference alignment with resulting major ramifications could very well serve as the impetus to ride off into the sunset. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, but this very well could be the end of an era we are witnessing.

You could go to 10 conference games and then you can keep 3 permanent rivals that you play every year.

Or you could keep 9 conference games and go with a 3 + 4/4 + 2/2/2 format.

Or you keep 9 conference games and go with only 1 permanent rivals, Iowa could play Minn/Wisc as non-confernence games half the time.

Yeah, that list of 'protected rivalries' make a lot of sense.

Yould could twist my arm and throw men's basketball into the same league as your football team, but no reason to have these olympic sports who travel commercial having to bus to Cedar Rapids, fly to Phoenix for a connection, then onto Eugene Oregon. (I just checked google flights and this is a 7 hr and 11 trip not counting the bus trip to and from the airport) - vs the football team chartering a direct flight 6 times a year.
Have you looked at the existing schedules for the “Olympic sports?”

They already travel like a mofo. This isn’t going to change anything.

Just last year the men’s track team traveled to Arkansas (twice), New Mexico, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Miami (FL), Albuquerque for the indoor nationals, Ohio for Big Tens, NC State, Stanford, Texas, Florida (twice), Mt. Sac, San Francisco, Arizona, Indiana for the B1G Outdoors, Illinois, Iowa State, Texas again for outdoor nationals, and Oregon. And Drake if you want to count going to DesMoines.

Hate to tell ya but they already travel way more than football or basketball, and they definitely don’t compete at every B1G school.

Latest posts