Open Practice Quick Hitters

All in all, it was the 12th practice of spring, three more to go, with totally new offensive terminology and several new looks. I didn't expect to see much from the offense and this late in the spring, the DB's are sitting on the bubble screens, the tosses to the flat, etc and can blow those up because they've seen the reps every day.

The offense struggled in the blitz pickup segment, which has been the case for just about every open practice I have ever been to.

I do expect the offense to have a chance to improve a great deal in August. I think the defense will, too. I just wonder what the ceiling will be for both sides. I think the ceiling for the D is lower than the O, because I feel a lot better about the OL than I do the DL.

Carl Davis is going to be a huge X factor for Iowa in the fall. Huge. Having a 100% Dom Alvis would be a big thing, too.

I think CJF is going to get a lot of targets in 2012. Could have a shot at 50+ catches...if he does that, he may have a decision to make. BUT that's getting the cart waaaay out in front of the horse.

Weinke is definitely in the punting race and signs seemed to point to him with the inside track.

Wienke is the first-team punter. Mullings’ form remains fairly slow.

I can attest to all of this.

Re: Mullings...There were a couple times where "fairly slow" was offensive to all things fairly slow. One time the snap was very low, don't think it bounced, but he caught and took 3 steps before kicking...the entire "punting pocket" was in his lap when ball hit foot and if our guys had been really going for the block, ugh...

So I think we roll into week 1 with an Elite 11 QB...as our punter.

Are you kidding? He's been working on this for two years now, right? I don't think we'll be giving any more scholarships to rugby kickers.

All in all, it was the 12th practice of spring, three more to go, with totally new offensive terminology and several new looks. I didn't expect to see much from the offense and this late in the spring, the DB's are sitting on the bubble screens, the tosses to the flat, etc and can blow those up because they've seen the reps every day.

The offense struggled in the blitz pickup segment, which has been the case for just about every open practice I have ever been to.

I do expect the offense to have a chance to improve a great deal in August. I think the defense will, too. I just wonder what the ceiling will be for both sides. I think the ceiling for the D is lower than the O, because I feel a lot better about the OL than I do the DL.

Carl Davis is going to be a huge X factor for Iowa in the fall. Huge. Having a 100% Dom Alvis would be a big thing, too.

I think CJF is going to get a lot of targets in 2012. Could have a shot at 50+ catches...if he does that, he may have a decision to make. BUT that's getting the cart waaaay out in front of the horse.
I was actually thinking about this today at the practice. If he has this breakout year which we all expect I wonder if he would opt for the draft. He doesn't seem like he likes school all that much so it wouldn't really be a big surprise. But I agree that is getting a bit ahead of ourselves with that but it could defiantly be a real possibility. He is more than the perfect size for the NFL.

Anyone can punt rugby style.. That's high school stuff. It takes real skill to put it in the air

Well, CJ has to show he can get some separation before I'd worry about the NFL. He still has to show me he can juke a LB and get behind him. He's got the physical tools, but he hasn't shown me enough to think he'd be a high pick. I hope I'm wrong and this is the break out year for him, but he's been somewhat underwhelming to this point in his career. When you can't beat out Herman and Derby right away, their must be issues.

but he's been somewhat underwhelming to this point in his career. When you can't beat out Herman and Derby right away, their must be issues.

I think that is a bit unfair. He played outside at the HS level...a huge WR more or less. Totally green as it relates to blocking. This is only his second spring at Iowa.

I think that is a bit unfair. He played outside at the HS level...a huge WR more or less. Totally green as it relates to blocking. This is only his second spring at Iowa.

Spot on. And we all know how much emphasis KF puts on the blocking aspect of the TE position.

Yeah, but you are talking about him to the NFL and he's caught 20 passes at Iowa and has maybe started 3 games? He's had two fall camps and 24 games to get it together. I'm just hoping there has been growth in playing the game fast and in confidence from where he ended the year last year. He was definitely starting to play well at the end of last year. Things appeared to come together for him. That said, his play hasn't been to the point, IMO, to say he's ready to make the leap to the NFL. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, but you are talking about him to the NFL and he's caught 20 passes at Iowa and has maybe started 3 games?

I said that is putting the cart waaay before the horse. But if he gets the number of targets in 2012 that I suspect he'll get, at his size and athletic ability, I think he'll have a great chance to turn some heads.

Yeah, but you are talking about him to the NFL and he's caught 20 passes at Iowa and has maybe started 3 games? He's had two fall camps and 24 games to get it together. I'm just hoping there has been growth in playing the game fast and in confidence from where he ended the year last year. He was definitely starting to play well at the end of last year. Things appeared to come together for him. That said, his play hasn't been to the point, IMO, to say he's ready to make the leap to the NFL. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

How many catches did Brandon Myers have going into his junior year at Iowa?

Also, how many starts did Brandon Myers have in his first 2 years on campus?

I'm anxious to see how Davis uses him. I like the ball control TE who can use that big body...like CJ has. I just want to see him run and catch in space either down the seam or on a crossing pattern behind the LB's and in front of the safeties. We really haven't seen that yet...and it's a big, big part of being valuable as a TE in the NFL. I agree with what you are saying about his size and athletic ability...he naturally is going to turn some heads. The other thing that is hugely positive is that he catches the ball when it's in the neighborhood. He's got great hands. It will be fun to see how this shakes out.

people were talking nfl with tony moeaki before he really put everything together considering injuries and such. and cjf has had a much higher learning curve as he was a wr in hs and had to learn te. i expect a huge jump. in fact i think the coaching staff expected that jump last yr but it took him half the season to figure out herman and derby werent half the ability he had and to start blocking. once he did that he was a force. now he will show off. i think in the red zone gd will use cjf by motioning him out to the outside or just lining him up outside to match him against cbs for jump balls.

How many catches did Brandon Myers have going into his junior year at Iowa?

Also, how many starts did Brandon Myers have in his first 2 years on campus?

I don't know, can you look it up for me? Are we discussing Brandon going pro after his junior year? I don't think he was ready...do you? The NFL scouts didn't think so either as they didn't invite him to the combine after his junior year.

Just so you know the discussion point...Jon is saying CJ has a shot to go pro after his junior year if he gets the opportunities that Jon is thinking in this new offense. No one was thinking Brandon Myers was going pro entering his junior year if he had a good year. Wait, except the mental midgets in Section 136 in Kinnick Stadium. Those guys are crazy.

I don't know, can you look it up for me? Are we discussing Brandon going pro after his junior year? I don't think he was ready...do you? The NFL scouts didn't think so either as they didn't invite him to the combine after his junior year.

I may have missed it, bit did Jon or anyone elseredict CJF to leave for the NFL after his junior year?

Just so you know the discussion point...Jon is saying CJ has a shot to go pro after his junior year if he gets the opportunities that Jon is thinking in this new offense. No one was thinking Brandon Myers was going pro entering his junior year if he had a good year. Wait, except the mental midgets in Section 136 in Kinnick Stadium. Those guys are crazy.

Haha....I said I may have missed it.

Per Jon Miller...
"I think CJF is going to get a lot of targets in 2012. Could have a shot at 50+ catches...if he does that, he may have a decision to make. BUT that's getting the cart waaaay out in front of the horse."

He put the cart and horse analogy out there with it...but I believe the decision he refers to is opting to put himself in the draft. Either that or transfer to Wisconsin for his senior year.

Jon, schedule has more to do with it than talent. WE will be the worst 9 and something team in the nation!

Latest posts