One last closing note on Nebby in 2015 ...

Obviously, the W is what matters for the team. But it doesn't refute train's point that Nebraska was a better team than their record indicated.

Did you argue last year that Iowa was better than their record? I mean they lost to Wisconsin by 2 and lost to Nebraska on 2 punt returns. You are what you record says you were. If Nebraska was better than their record, they wouldn't have gotten smoked by Purdue and lost 4 homes games.

As far as who had the better running game, it was Iowa and it wasn't close. 3.8 YPC VS 5.5 YPC. Nebraska had a slightly more efficient passing game at 6.6 YPA vs Iowa's 6.1 YPA. What you failed to mention about the extra yardage was that Nebraska ran nearly DOUBLE the amount of plays (39 to be exact). If Iowa ran 39 more plays with the same run/pass ratio (25 more runs, and 14 more passes) as they used during the game with the same YPC and YPA they would have gained an additional 138 yard rushing and 85 yard passing or 473 total yard.

Iowa's game all year long has been about efficiency. You are falling into the national media trap (which shouldn't be surprising) of looking for beauty & style points vs efficiency. Like KF said, this isn't gymnastics where style points matter. Iowa's formula has alway been run the ball (5.5 YPC), stop the run (3.8 YPC) and win the TO battle +3 Iowa. Iowa dominated Nebraska in what they wanted to do. There was no point in the almost the entire second half that Nebraska had the ball and could actually take the lead. Nebraska was never really a threat in the second half unless they had a MSU miracle up their sleeves.

My $0.02

Every fan base has their idiots, every team in every sport. Go to any message board and you will see the exact same types of posts from the same types of personalities, just change the team names and you'd never know the difference. Unfortunately, it's the ones who are the most idiotic that happen to also be the most vocal and most likely to talk ****. The fact that this can all be done now in anonymity just makes it worse. For the Husker fan base, I could be wrong, but I think the rise in things like message boards around the same time a new generation of fans came onboard in the 90s when the program was experiencing an incredible amount of success, was a combination that earned a bad online reputation. The older fans who were there before the 90s, in general, were less likely to use, much less hide behind a keyboard. Now, if your bad experiences with Husker fans are coming from in person interactions, then I'm completely out in left field and I'm willing to concede that we are all bat **** crazy and I don't see it because I'm in it..

I agree with pretty much everything that you said. I'll admit the majority of Husker fans that I know are very good people. My wife graduated from Concordia in Seward and then lived in Lincoln for almost a decade prior to moving to Des Moines when we got married last year. We do have a lot of friends in Lincoln because of my wife's connections there (she's a Husker fan too by the way).

Like I said, most of them are very good people, but whenever we discuss football the conversation almost always gets reverted to the past and the loyalty of the fan base. I know Nebraska has a great history! I know they have a loyal fan base! I would never argue differently because those are obvious facts, but when we're talking football let's talk football. Let's talk about the current teams and the current landscape of the B10. I don't have the desire to continue to hear the same crap about how many championships Nebraska won two decades ago. That has no relevance right now. It's exhausting and annoying to continue to hear it.

Maybe they can go to the almost won championship. Good teams win, great teams win close games. Nebraska is a bad team that is weak mentally.

I agree with pretty much everything that you said. I'll admit the majority of Husker fans that I know are very good people. My wife graduated from Concordia in Seward and then lived in Lincoln for almost a decade prior to moving to Des Moines when we got married last year. We do have a lot of friends in Lincoln because of my wife's connections there (she's a Husker fan too by the way).

Like I said, most of them are very good people, but whenever we discuss football the conversation almost always gets reverted to the past and the loyalty of the fan base. I know Nebraska has a great history! I know they have a loyal fan base! I would never argue differently because those are obvious facts, but when we're talking football let's talk football. Let's talk about the current teams and the current landscape of the B10. I don't have the desire to continue to hear the same crap about how many championships Nebraska won two decades ago. That has no relevance right now. It's exhausting and annoying to continue to hear it.

This. Like everyone else they have good fans...and idiot fans. But the difference is they have a much much higher percentage of delusional fans than the average (I'll concede that I live here, so take that for what it's worth).

Noone disagrees they have great history and tradition. They also have a great fanbase(not as loyal as they like to claim though). They also have no competition for local fans or recruiting for football (if you don't think that matters greatly, see Creighton for basketball - another thing they don't like to admit - nebby fan in the Fall/Creighton fans in the winter, although Miles has helped this some)

Ultimately, however, every discussion ends with the inevitable "how many national championships does Iowa have"....because really...what else they got right now? Ohhh, I forgot...1 million consecutive sellouts. If you want to get them really on the defensive, ask them HOW they get every sellout(I'll give you a hint, corporate tix). Also, see point above, Zero in-state competition for fans, zero.if Iowa doesn't split fans with the clones....yeah...that's another 40-50k fans for tix.....

They'll all say how they were 4-5 plays away from another 9 win season this year, but none want to admit they were the exact same thing away from a 6-7 win season last year.

They'll come around...eventually. I want them to admit that 8+ win seasons aren't a given anymore.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go as far to say that Nebraska was better than their record indicated. They are a team with a lot of potential but it's the little things that make or break a game. Penalties that stop drives. Bad QB play. Red zone. Turn overs. To me the game wasn't as close as the score indicated. I never felt Iowa was in trouble. In the end they turned the ball over too much....Again. Got too many penalties....Again. Their QB was erratic....Again

Maybe they can go to the almost won championship. Good teams win, great teams win close games. Nebraska is a bad team that is weak mentally.

Disagree that we are weak mentally. We were when Bo was here, if we got down in a game it was over for the most part. He did a lot of damage mentally to the program and it'll take time to fix that. Nevermind he left the cupboard absolutely bare is some areas of the team in reference to recruiting. This season the team never gave up in a game, they came back against Miami in the 4th quarter, they came back against Purdue in the 4th quarter, doesn't help we lost that game because of a ton of INT's by our back-up QB.

My problem with the program right now is that this coaching staff seems set on going to a West Coast style of offense that just isn't going to be successful in the long run in the B1G. When November rolls around and the winds and weather are a factor and you can't sling the ball around you need to rely on a good running game. That's what we used to be good at, "I'm running it there and there is nothing you can do about it!" Look at Wisconsin as an example of what we used to be and it sucks that they've absolutely dominated us with our own blueprint. These coaches are trying to stick square pegs in round holes in reference to the players we have and what they want to do.

Nebraska was a team that lived and died this year on individual performances. Iowa this year is a team that won every single game as a team. Iowa has only come close to putting a full game together once this year - NW. That is what is great and frustrating about this year's team. If one area of the game is lacking, the other areas make up for it.

We need to put together a full game with all areas of the offense and defense clicking the entire game to beat MSU. Have no delusions, this will be the biggest test yet, but like always this team can and will win if they are successful playing the Iowa way.

This. Like everyone else they have good fans...and idiot fans. But the difference is they have a much much higher percentage of delusional fans than the average (I'll concede that I live here, so take that for what it's worth).

Noone disagrees they have great history and tradition. They also have a great fanbase(not as loyal as they like to claim though). They also have no competition for local fans or recruiting for football (if you don't think that matters greatly, see Creighton for basketball - another thing they don't like to admit - nebby fan in the Fall/Creighton fans in the winter, although Miles has helped this some)

Ultimately, however, every discussion ends with the inevitable "how many national championships does Iowa have"....because really...what else they got right now? Ohhh, I forgot...1 million consecutive sellouts. If you want to get them really on the defensive, ask them HOW they get every sellout(I'll give you a hint, corporate tix). Also, see point above, Zero in-state competition for fans, zero.if Iowa doesn't split fans with the clones....yeah...that's another 40-50k fans for tix.....

They'll all say how they were 4-5 plays away from another 9 win season this year, but none want to admit they were the exact same thing away from a 6-7 win season last year.

They'll come around...eventually. I want them to admit that 8+ win seasons aren't a given anymore.

I've explained the corporate ticket thing to Husker fans before and they still claim a sellout is a sellout. That's probably part of the reason the University does it. That way they can continue to claim they have consecutive sellouts even though they know better.

Whatever makes them feel better I guess. Losing teams have to come up with some go to excuses to help them cope. It's similar to the Cyclones. Clone fans try to attack the strength of the B10 Conference as a way to justify how Iowa is doing so well. Husker fans choose to resort to their past in similar conversations. These are just coping mechanisms.

It's interesting though because when the roles have been reversed and Iowa is struggling I feel like the Iowa fan base is different. For the most part we acknowledge they suck and demand adjustments. Maybe I'm wrong because of my bias, but that's the way it feels.

Last edited:
I went to the game (and the prior to Iowa games in Lincoln) and have been treated better there than any other road venue in the Big Ten. Message board loud mouths give Nebraska fans a bad name, but in person, their fans are some of the nicest, most welcoming and I'll say it....most knowledgeable fans about the game. Their passion for football is second to none (they put 90,000 in the stands for 5-7 teams....that says something to me). I will always take a trip to Lincoln for a game.

I wasn't at the game. I watched it on TV. What I heard was a large amount of fan's booing as Tevaun Smith was lying on the ground nearly motionless following an out of control nebraska safety targeted the head of a defenseless receiver. What I heard was a large amount of fans cheering on the nebraska safety has he ran off the field throwing his arms up in the air in an attempt to rally the fan base.

I don't care how they treated you in Lincoln. I have not heard anyone in the Nebraska fan base issue a single apology on behalf of those fans. As far as I'm concerned, they are classless.

I wasn't at the game. I watched it on TV. What I heard was a large amount of fan's booing as Tevaun Smith was lying on the ground nearly motionless following an out of control nebraska safety targeted the head of a defenseless receiver. What I heard was a large amount of fans cheering on the nebraska safety has he ran off the field throwing his arms up in the air in an attempt to rally the fan base.

I don't care how they treated you in Lincoln. I have not heard anyone in the Nebraska fan base issue a single apology on behalf of those fans. As far as I'm concerned, they are classless.

I was sitting right above where Nate Gerry exited the field after his ejection. Yeah, they cheered him on as he tried to fire up the crowd. I didn't really hear much for booing after the initial penalty call, honestly. Yeah, there was some booing for the ejection itself, but it was short-lived and you hear that from every crowd after one of their own is thrown out of a game. Nebraska fans graciously applauded when the injured players came off the field and I had quite a few express concern about Niemann after the game, hoping it wasn't a serious or long term injury for him. And when Niemann was being tended to by medical staff, the Husker fans I was around were pretty silent, our own fans however took that as an opportunity to make noise and get their chants in.

As I said before, i have no problems with the Nebraska fans at the game and I will gladly go again. Their message board jerk offs give their fans a bad name, but in person some of the best folks you will ever meet and watch a game with.

Disagree that we are weak mentally. We were when Bo was here, if we got down in a game it was over for the most part. He did a lot of damage mentally to the program and it'll take time to fix that. Nevermind he left the cupboard absolutely bare is some areas of the team in reference to recruiting. This season the team never gave up in a game, they came back against Miami in the 4th quarter, they came back against Purdue in the 4th quarter, doesn't help we lost that game because of a ton of INT's by our back-up QB.

My problem with the program right now is that this coaching staff seems set on going to a West Coast style of offense that just isn't going to be successful in the long run in the B1G. When November rolls around and the winds and weather are a factor and you can't sling the ball around you need to rely on a good running game. That's what we used to be good at, "I'm running it there and there is nothing you can do about it!" Look at Wisconsin as an example of what we used to be and it sucks that they've absolutely dominated us with our own blueprint. These coaches are trying to stick square pegs in round holes in reference to the players we have and what they want to do.

This bare cupboard argument is complete bs that your AD and biased media cooked up. When Bo got fired the reason given was little red needed to be competitive in big games. There was no talk ever about the team lacking talent and needing to rebuild. This is revisionist history to cover up a terrible hire and program in decline.

Mentally weak teams lose close games, mentally weak teams commit penalties and turnovers and mentally weak teams pin it on a scapegoat who they fired.

I don't care how they treated you in Lincoln. I have not heard anyone in the Nebraska fan base issue a single apology on behalf of those fans. As far as I'm concerned, they are classless.[/QUOTE

That was nothing compared to Michigan State fans at the 7 got 6 games. I was there and THAT was disgraceful! But...
Every fan base has jerk fans. I don't see why the good fans should apologize for the actions of others.

I was sitting right above where Nate Gerry exited the field after his ejection. Yeah, they cheered him on as he tried to fire up the crowd. I didn't really hear much for booing after the initial penalty call, honestly. Yeah, there was some booing for the ejection itself, but it was short-lived and you hear that from every crowd after one of their own is thrown out of a game. Nebraska fans graciously applauded when the injured players came off the field and I had quite a few express concern about Niemann after the game, hoping it wasn't a serious or long term injury for him. And when Niemann was being tended to by medical staff, the Husker fans I was around were pretty silent, our own fans however took that as an opportunity to make noise and get their chants in.

As I said before, i have no problems with the Nebraska fans at the game and I will gladly go again. Their message board jerk offs give their fans a bad name, but in person some of the best folks you will ever meet and watch a game with.

Watch a replay of the game. If you want to go back to Lincoln and make out with their fans, then go right ahead. Just don't call yourself a Hawk fan.

I was at the game and had a bad experience with a few fans but I will chalk that up to them being a couple of random idiots. I also heard a lot of booing about the Smith flag but I will chalk that up to momentary mob stupidity.

Still, world's best football fans, they are not. I've been to about half the Big Ten stadiums and this particular crowd was the worst behaved of any of them.

Was obvious on t.v. you could hear them boo Smith and cheer their torpedo hero Gerry..
Classless fans. Dilusional. Very poor sports. Crybabies. I met a few of their jerk fans last year, major plicks!

I think it is a bit too much of a generalization and with a heavy amount of assumption that you make such an anger filled statement!:confused:

Latest posts