One last closing note on Nebby in 2015 ...

Nebraska has extremely loyal fans. They filled the stadium this year supporting a mediocre 5-7 team. Their fans are no better than any other fan base, but they may be more loyal about buying season tickets.

Nebraska outgained Iowa by nearly 200 yards, held Iowa without a third down conversion for the entire game, and didn't allow a first down in the fourth quarter. Armstrong made some bonehead throws and Iowa took advantage of those mistakes. But Nebraska did outplay us in several ways. Turnovers are great equalizers.

I'll give you that we didn't convert third downs. But we only had 9 3rd downs to convert on 44 plays. We had 250ish yards on 44 plays compared to Nebraska's 83 plays. We quite simply did exactly what we wanted to against Nebby. We also ended up with a lot of short field situations because of Turnover Tommy's awesome decision making, meaning we simply didn't need more plays or more yards. We converted points out of most of our possessions and made Nebraska work for every single point they got. Why throw the ball, why play risky when you're in total control and the wind and cold are against those sorts of big plays. There's a reason B1G football is run-heavy, defensive, and usually low-scoring.

The real stat here is this:
44 plays = 28 points = .64 points per play (Iowa)
83 plays = 20 points = .24 points per play (Nebraska)

I'll give you that we didn't convert third downs. But we only had 9 3rd downs to convert on 44 plays. We had 250ish yards on 44 plays compared to Nebraska's 83 plays. We quite simply did exactly what we wanted to against Nebby. We also ended up with a lot of short field situations because of Turnover Tommy's awesome decision making, meaning we simply didn't need more plays or more yards. We converted points out of most of our possessions and made Nebraska work for every single point they got. Why throw the ball, why play risky when you're in total control and the wind and cold are against those sorts of big plays. There's a reason B1G football is run-heavy, defensive, and usually low-scoring.

Exactly. The first Canzeri TD was the staff signalling, "We can own you if necessary". The second Canzeri TD was the staff signalling, "We can run this all day if you'd like..."

Nebraska has extremely loyal fans. They filled the stadium this year supporting a mediocre 5-7 team. Their fans are no better than any other fan base, but they may be more loyal about buying season tickets.
They weren't filling the stadium supporting a mediocre 5-7 team.

They were supporting a mediocre 5-6 team trying to become bowl eligible and knock off their second top ten team and 'ruin' Iowa's season. Didn't happen.

I'm pumped that it was Iowa that gave them a losing record and probably keeps them from making a bowl -- and all of that was done at their house.

Technically it's 44 plays / 21 pts = .47 pts/play

Nebraska outgained Iowa by nearly 200 yards, held Iowa without a third down conversion for the entire game, and didn't allow a first down in the fourth quarter. Armstrong made some bonehead throws and Iowa took advantage of those mistakes. But Nebraska did outplay us in several ways. Turnovers are great equalizers.

Something tells me you didn't watch the game. Iowa didn't convert a lot of third downs partly because on all of Iowa's scoring drives, they didn't even need to because of big gains on first and second down. Armstrong made some bonehead plays, yes, but Iowa didn't take advantage of them actually. The only score we had off of his turnovers was the pick six, and that wasn't as much of a bonehead play by him, as much as it was a great blitz and play made by Hesse. Lastly, Nebraska's best scoring drive was aided by a missed holding call, a missed call on the play Kirk freaked out and added more yardage to by getting a penalty. Not to mention King's muff. Hawks were much better. The stats just don't show it, which i'm guessing is all you looked at.

Technically it's 44 plays / 21 pts = .47 pts/play

Disagree. It's a matter of how you score a pick-six. you can't just ignore it, so then you can remove those points from Nebby (because a pick six is similar to negative offensive points) and make it 83 plays / 13 points = .16 pts/play for Nebraska to .47 for Iowa... it's still 3 times as many points per play.

Disagree. It's a matter of how you score a pick-six. you can't just ignore it, so then you can remove those points from Nebby (because a pick six is similar to negative offensive points) and make it 83 plays / 13 points = .16 pts/play for Nebraska to .47 for Iowa... it's still 3 times as many points per play.

^^Word

My take is Nebraska fans are pretty much like any of the other B1G teams out there. They may have had a perception of friendly and cordial, but it's not true. My in-laws are all in/from Nebraska (the wife is from Lincoln) and they aren't taking the losses well, especially the Iowa one. Just look at all of the follow-up articles from their press and former players.

Their "spin" on losing to Iowa and how they should've/could've won is really wearing thin. I don't recall that much venom when Iowa lost last year after being up big in OT.

First Nebby-apologist "spin": If turnover Tommy doesn't throw four pix, Nebraska wins.
Iowa scored at least two of their TD's off non-interception drives (my memory needs refreshed on the first TD). One was the short field after the King punt return, another on the Canzeri run after the fumbled kick off. Iowa already scored 14 points without turnover aid. To make it fair, the muffed King punt needs removed negating one of their scores. So Iowa would've still had a 14-13 advantage.

Iowa deserves the credit if the game plan was to play close to the vest and let Nebraska self-destruct.

Second Nebby-apologist "spin". If we run the ball on 4th and 1 we score a FG or TD.
Iowa just stuffed Cross on a third and one prior to 4th down. There is no guarantee a run would've made a first down. Also, a FG or TD isn't a given even if the 4th down play is successful.

Third "spin": Given the TOP and 80 some plays/yards, to Iowa's 40 some plays/yrds, and 0-9 third down conversions, Nebby would win x times out of 10.
Given three of Iowa's TD's involved 2 or less plays (2 long Canzeri runs, Hesse int), Iowa didn't need a bunch of time and yards to score and be far enough ahead to play the KF conservative - bring-the-win-home style.

At some point, it would be really refreshing to hear a Nebby fan take the high road once. It's not hard to admit the better team wins once in a while.

Most Nebby fans I ran into at the game were nice enough. The older guy seated ahead of me was seething from the start. Every penalty against Neb was a TERRIBLE call and evidence that the fix was in. The Nebraska fan base has a mental condition. I don't know what it's called but they think they should be winning championships every year. If they aren't then someone should be fired. They need to take a look at the Hawks. Lots of folks thought maybe KF had to go. Yet, he turned things around. Nebby has been convulsively firing coaches since Solich got the boot. After winning 9 games I might add. Consistency and continuity are priceless. They need about 10 more years of regular seasons so the old guys are outnumbered by new fans. Reality is hoping for a well coached team that emphasizes education and demonstrates quality football. They need the 40 years in the desert to get the championship stars out of their heads. Most are nice folks but have skewed mindset.

They have a bunch of idiotic fans who continue to spew facts about their past in order to change the subject about the present. They also have some fans who are decent. However, the initial group I mentioned is so freaking obnoxious that, yes, their fan base gets a really bad rep and rightfully so in my opinion. Their success was a LONG time ago. Get over it and accept the present. Give credit where it's due and stop acting like your team is something that it's not. Things changed a long time ago. Wake up and join us in reality.

Come on brah. 1995 was only 20 years ago. In the context of a 13.82 billion year old universe, that is but a nanosecond.

Less than the blink of an eye.

c039dfa085b0718ea7595c53da84b389.jpeg

They weren't filling the stadium supporting a mediocre 5-7 team.

They were supporting a mediocre 5-6 team trying to become bowl eligible and knock off their second top ten team and 'ruin' Iowa's season. Didn't happen.

I'm pumped that it was Iowa that gave them a losing record and probably keeps them from making a bowl -- and all of that was done at their house.

I dunno...it looks like there'll be an inadequate number of 6 win teams, and you'd think that Nebraska would be the first 5 win team a bowl would pursue

No Idea why anyone looks at this game as anything but what happened. I feel a Logical individual can plainly see that Stats don't show if a team won or lost. The score does, the Huskers could have put up 1000 yards of offense and held Iowa to 20. Who cares, if that 1000 yards amounted to less points than what the 20 yards did. Iowa is a talented team, are they More talented than the Nebraska team, well maybe maybe not.
Iowa as a team is successful not because of being more talented than their opponents, refute me all you want, they have been so successful because they have excelled at being simplistic, and fundamental. They have been the picture of Efficient, you don't need outrageous stats to win football games. This is the main reason I feel the mainstream media has yet to be impressed by them, which plays to the Hawks favor heavily once in a game.

Don't read this and think that this view is demeaning at all to the Hawks as that is not my intent, make no mistake I actually think the Talent level tilts in Huskers favor as is evidence that they were able to remain in the game. Individual talent though doesn't win consistently, it will keep you in the game and then ever so often win one for you. The second someone starts playing the If's and buts game when talking about the outcome of a game they have definitely dipped into denial/embarrassment mitigation.
As a Husker fan I myself get sick of BS excuses and such.

I simply disagree though with many on here making such broad generalizations about an entire fan base, simply on one or few instances. In case many of you that feel that way have forgotten this world is Filled with A$$holes, they are literally everywhere you go, the fact that they wear a different color on saturday certainly doesn't mean they are all the same.

I went to the game (and the prior to Iowa games in Lincoln) and have been treated better there than any other road venue in the Big Ten. Message board loud mouths give Nebraska fans a bad name, but in person, their fans are some of the nicest, most welcoming and I'll say it....most knowledgeable fans about the game. Their passion for football is second to none (they put 90,000 in the stands for 5-7 teams....that says something to me). I will always take a trip to Lincoln for a game.

That's because you were a stranger. Nebraskans are generally polite mid-westerners like Iowans. But having lived and worked in Omaha the last 15 years I can tell you that Husker fans are the most obnoxious, entitled, delusional, arrogant, unmitigated jackasses I've ever encountered.

No Idea why anyone looks at this game as anything but what happened. I feel a Logical individual can plainly see that Stats don't show if a team won or lost. The score does, the Huskers could have put up 1000 yards of offense and held Iowa to 20. Who cares, if that 1000 yards amounted to less points than what the 20 yards did. Iowa is a talented team, are they More talented than the Nebraska team, well maybe maybe not.
Iowa as a team is successful not because of being more talented than their opponents, refute me all you want, they have been so successful because they have excelled at being simplistic, and fundamental. They have been the picture of Efficient, you don't need outrageous stats to win football games. This is the main reason I feel the mainstream media has yet to be impressed by them, which plays to the Hawks favor heavily once in a game.

Don't read this and think that this view is demeaning at all to the Hawks as that is not my intent, make no mistake I actually think the Talent level tilts in Huskers favor as is evidence that they were able to remain in the game. Individual talent though doesn't win consistently, it will keep you in the game and then ever so often win one for you. The second someone starts playing the If's and buts game when talking about the outcome of a game they have definitely dipped into denial/embarrassment mitigation.
As a Husker fan I myself get sick of BS excuses and such.

I simply disagree though with many on here making such broad generalizations about an entire fan base, simply on one or few instances. In case many of you that feel that way have forgotten this world is Filled with A$$holes, they are literally everywhere you go, the fact that they wear a different color on saturday certainly doesn't mean they are all the same.

I agree that it isn't fair to make broad base judgements about a fan base. What you can do though is kind of pigeon hole, or stereotype a fan base. IE overall OSU/'Bama is an arrogant fan base, and it rightfully come from the huge amounts of success that they have had.

ISU fan base is filled full of 'Lil Brother syndrome. They have never had much success, and they long for it desperately. Heck you probably experienced this, they act like they win the #SuperBowl when they beat Nebby the few times they did.

Iowa fans have a little bit of both of these traits. They have had some success, so they have some of that arrogance. At the same time we have a Lil Brother attitude toward the media or other program for not recognizing our success.

Michigan fan traditionally has been super arrogant, yet has taken a step back because they have struggle mightily over the last how many years. I'm sure the arrogance will quickly return when/if Harbaugh gets them going.

That takes us to Nebraska fan. I think Iowa fans problem with them is they don't feel any of the Lil Brother syndrome that our fan base has, and this pizzes us off to no end. I mean Nebraska isn't want they were in the '90s, the success is far, far back in the rear view mirror. Iowa has just as many wins, has more B1G titles, more BCS bowl appearances, more BCS bowl wins than Nebraska over the last 15 years, but Nebby fan STILL THINKS THEY ARE OSU/'Bama. It infuriates Iowa fan that you don't get at least SOME Lil Brother syndrome like us. :p

I can understand that thought process now the way you put it on that post and didn't get it in the other so that makes sense!

I have never flaunted history or anything in my own personal discussions and can see why I may be stereotyped as one who could due to your history.

Saying that really any team is better than the other in any terms that can't be actually quantified is really a discussion in futility as so many other factors come into play.

In the past college football WAS definitely slanted in favor of High profile programs due to many factors, Scholarships (which at the time were worth their weight in gold, not really a factor anymore as college is so mainstream) Facilities, Money, and cmon but way less oversight!

Now the Playing field is filled with too much parody and it's never going to be like it was again. College football is Cyclical though and all teams in the power 5 for sure will be solid opponents for any team on a given day.

Latest posts