On the coaches

#2 FLA ST got torched today.
#1 Bama is getting rolled.

So there's no shame for #13 Iowa to lose at home to the #1 ranked team on FG as time runs out.

I was secretly hoping for NDSU to score the 2-pt conversion.

Play calling on last drive may have been slightly different.

After rushing on 1st down for no gain there would have been two sacks.

We are witnessing an epic meltdown. The coaches and players were woefully under prepared for this one.
Calling for coach Doyle to be fired and the 22 starters to turn in their scholarships is a little over the top. I realize this is coming from anger and frustration. Our coordinators however need to realize their jobs are on the line.

We are witnessing an epic meltdown. The coaches and players were woefully under prepared for this one.
Calling for coach Doyle to be fired and the 22 starters to turn in their scholarships is a little over the top. I realize this is coming from anger and frustration. Our coordinators however need to realize their jobs are on the line.
If those white wide receivers we have starting are on scholarship, we should just fold the damned program, dude.

At many top shelf schools the OC and OL coach would be on thin ice after this game.
Think Kirk is gonna fire his son (even if he should?)
Think Barta will fire Kirk's son?
And there is the problem. Our OL is the worst I have seen in years,. Poor talent and bad coaching. Who is responsible for that?

Didn't NDSU last TD drive remind you way too much of Mich St last year. Sickening and I had no doubts they were gonna punch it in..
I was thinking the same thing. Almost the sameTOP and number of plays. Like others have said, I think last year was an anomaly. The ink is barely dry on the contract extension and Ye Olde Kirk returns.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Almost the sameTOS and number of plays. Like others have said, I think last year was an anomaly. The ink is barely dry on the contract extension and Ye Olde Kirk returns.

I turn 60 in a couple months so I match Kirk in age which bothers me on a couple levels. We have Kirk until age 70 and I very much doubt he retires before the end of his contract unless he has unforeseen health problems. That means I don't get to see the start of a new era in Iowa football until I get well into my golden years.

In the bigger picture as BigD and others have implied in many ways Kirk a complex man who has some good attributes seems in it for himself first which seems so typical of my generation. I felt that way after the first contract extension when we slid into mediocrity and I can see the same thing happening now. Losses per se don't upset me but it bothers me to no end to see us unprepared and playing timidly and not to lose. My parents represented the greatest generation- I have no pretenses about anybody ever saying that about mine.

So there's no shame for #13 Iowa to lose at home to the #1 ranked team on FG as time runs out.

Bama won. I have a dream that Kirk went to the NFL after the Cap 1 and we hired Saban with a lifetime contract.

Hey I said it was a dream. A beautiful dream.

There are a lot of good comments posted here that I agree with,but it really falls back on the coaches were out coached which is not unusual. This will be long remembered like the Appalachian St. win over Michigan. Eat that coaches!

Kirk always has trouble getting up for games like this. Problem this year he doesn't have a complete stable and Iowa played a very well coached team that is fundamentally sound that really wanted to win more than Iowa didn't want to lose.

O-line is horrible. Can't run bock or pass block.
Whether the problem is talent or scheme, either way its on the o-line coach.
O-Line was in disarray and completely confused all day. Not having either of the two generals of the O-line on the field yesterday was crippling. Sounds like Welsh should be back next week. There are some major weaknesses on the D and those continue to be exposed by good coaches and good athletes.

O-Line was in disarray and completely confused all day. Not having either of the two generals of the O-line on the field yesterday was crippling. Sounds like Welsh should be back next week. There are some major weaknesses on the D and those continue to be exposed by good coaches and good athletes.
when is Daniels slated to return at center?

Louisville is ranked #10 in FBS and "Bama came back and won, on the road, against the #19 ranked FBS team. FBS; where each school gets 85 scholarship players and the FCS where schools get 63 scholarship players.

Didn't NDSU last TD drive remind you way too much of Mich St last year. Sickening and I had no doubts they were gonna punch it in..

And the common denominator is getting pushed around and out-toughed at the LOS. The players we have are good. But where is the good depth?

Bull**** that's loser talk.

How this team could come out so flat and poorly prepared with all this notice...and the obvious big game this was for NDSU is beyond explanation.

Actually it's not beyond explanation. It's what we've seen time and again from "every game is the same, punch the clock" Kirk.

Last edited:
Yesterday's loss was embarrassing. There is simply no excuse for how poorly prepared the team was - and that is on the coaching staff.

We knew, going in, that we were going to be without a couple of our leaders on the o-line. Our opponent prepared for it and took advantage. We didn't. WTF? Absolutely no excuse. We should have been expecting a lot of blitzes and been using screen and swing passes to slow down the rush a bit.

On defense, we were just plain vanilla. Our third game and we don't have any blitzes in the package that we can use. WTF have they been working on? And seriously, who didn't see that QA draw coming from a mile away (other than, obviously, our coaches)?

Did LD manage to make a single decent block all day? He has no future in the pros if he can't figure out how to pick up the blitz.

Sure, there were some bullshit officiating calls (and non-calls), but the real problem was in the game prep. We got out-coached, out-hustled, and flat out out-played. KF and his staff should donate every cent that they were paid for that game because they damn sure didn't earn it.

That doesn't mean that all is lost, though. It's an embarrassing loss, but it is only 1 loss. There is a lot of season left, a fairly easy schedule, and a lot of good bowl games that we could end up in, even if our hopes for the playoffs are over.

We'll know a lot more about this team after the next couple of games. If they come out and play like they did yesterday, then we are in for a long season. This team needs to pull their collective heads out of there asses, get angry, and start dominating the field instead of getting their asses handed to them by a fucking FCS team.

I am far more concerned about our offense than the defense. Defense lacks depth and experience at a few key spots, the the offense scored 21 points against a FCS school and couldn't sustain a drive, putting the defense, without depth, on the field for 36 minutes.

All I can hope is that getting Welsh and Daniels back will make an enormous difference...and that our OC does something to help his offense with playcalling(we have a bottom 10 OC)

Latest posts