Omaha World Herald takes a shot at Iowa Football program, their coach, their fans.

Re: Omaha World Herald takes a shot at Iowa Football program, their coach, their fans

I thought the article was entertaining. No different than our fans poking fun at Nebby. Sure, he was overboard on a few comments and no, Iowa fans weren't celebrating an 8-win season but it was a nice change from 4-8. I thought some of the article was pretty funny. He is correct ... we do have somewhat of a yawner of a schedule. Now we just need to go out and win ... And the one comment I would have for the "author" of that piece is I would not sling too much mud toward an Iowa team that just came into your own stadium and handed you an a&&whooping.

Re: Omaha World Herald takes a shot at Iowa Football program, their coach, their fans

Is my reading comprehension a little off, or did the excerpt he quoted make absolutely no mention about how being ranked in the preseason poll is a source of pressure, jubilation, or distracting interruptions of team meetings?

Setting the bar low? vs Keeping expectations in check? Right now I would say that Iowa fans are more realistic than Nebraska fans when it comes to expectations. We know that Iowa has the nucleus of a team that can compete for the western division title in 2014. It has a favorable schedule and has an experienced QB. Are we ready to declare the west title Iowa's? Certainly not.

Last year the Iowa fan expectations were not high and part of it was a difficult conference schedule and a sub-par 2012 season. Two of the three conference losses in 2013 were to MSU and OSU, who won the divisions, and a lost to Wisconsin that was the defending conference champion. Iowa fans were bright enough to know that between a new QB, tough schedule, and unknown player development that putting the bar too high wasn't realistic.

Nebraska fans on the other hand were ready to buy Rose Bowl tickets in August of 2013. They ended with the same regular season record as Iowa. By old Nebraska standards it was a disappointment, but not unexpected from the view of those outside of Nebraska. If anyone needs a lecture on keeping expectation in check and setting the bar too high then he needs to look west to Lincoln.

Nebtard fans still think Tommy O and his gang of thugs are still roaming the sidelines. Those idiots still think Nebtard is the Nebtard of the early to mid 90's. Have fun with those dbags, they are worse than hawk fans.

Maybe instead of criticizing Ferentz for taking advantage of a teaching moment, ol Dirk should be suggesting the Nebraska coaches take a page from Kirk's playbook. Look what happened to the Husker FB team last year. Unrealistically high expectations brought on by the fans and media types like Dirk had players reading/believing all the hype. They, in turn started the swagger, feeding the frenzy, and before they played a single down, they were going to be a repeat of the Scoring Explosion of early 80's, led by a sure to be Heisman winner. We all know how that turned out.

Then along comes BB. Nebraska was not bad when everybody thought they were bad. But when they started winning, they became cocky. Once they received their bid to the Big Dance, immediately they were talking about playing Creighton in the 2nd round. Never mind they were a lower seed going against a much stronger Baylor. They believed all the hype from the press and the fans.

So, ... maybe Dirk should be suggesting the Nebraska coaches try a bit of Iowa humility instead of allowing the writers and fans to control the attitude.

Not even a well-written article. Sort of incoherent, not very well though-out. Anyway, he said on twitter he isn’t catering to his readers…

I wish I could go to work and write a sloppy, butthurt, rip-off of an espn article and get paid for it.

They can't say that about our Team. Only we can say that about our team.

a23da439fea303529eb433012258b6fa.png

Sounds like someone is butthurt that espn said there is no clear cut fav to win the west.

I wanted to beat them down bad in Kinnick on Black Friday due to Bo's actions/words last year... Now I hope we pizz pound em (and Bo takes a ball to the nose-boom!).

Iowa has a coach who makes $4mill. Nebby has a coach who likes cats.

Iowa has a coach who makes $4mill. Nebby has a coach who likes cats.

He's coaching at the wrong school. Maybe he'd be a ***** cat if he'd coached the purple wild kittens. Purrrrrfect fit!

Nothing wrong with some hate from an opinion piece by the opposing team's perspective. He's not the first to clown Iowa for Ferentz's salary and he won't be the last.

" My question for you is why — after four Top-10 seasons under Ferentz — you allow your program to set the bar so low. Why you still treat a New Year’s Day bowl as if we’re living in 1992."

Someone hit the nail on the head with that one. You can't deny that he's right about that.

Because, like it or not, Iowa is not the kind of program that can sustain that level of success over the long haul in this era of college football. Neither is Nebraska, which is why they've fallen from an even loftier perch.

^^^ I like that ^^^ and I

button-dislike.jpg

the fact that we don't have it any longer...........

Made me laugh as I thought about the post in another thread about Nebraska having the "most respectful fanbase." Ha.

Nebtard fans still think Tommy O and his gang of thugs are still roaming the sidelines. Those idiots still think Nebtard is the Nebtard of the early to mid 90's. Have fun with those dbags, they are worse than hawk fans.
Admit you love us. Why else would you post 1700 times and spend so much time with us on Hawkeyenation?

I'm glad this OWH dbag talked trash. We need something to make this more like a real rivalry. Beating them 2 years in a row would help with that also.

I guess what bothers me is that he claims to be equally critical of nebraska, and not be catering to his readers. Yet the whole column is a personal dislike for our program.

Were essentially mirror programs right now, only their coach is a complete embarassment that has no prospects of ever sniffing a BCS game.

When Nebraska State joins the Pac 12 (if only Nebr had a 2nd BCS team) and UNO becomes the power in Div 2 that UNI is, then Neb will understand and be brought to their knees.

The chances of Neb ever getting another NC are minuscule at best since joining the B1G. So they are writing about a Hawkeyes RB's quote as if there were any real significance to it so as to deflect attention to what happened to the Neb team last year. The only real significance to it might be that the players are trying to take on the character of their coach. Their coach who is a true leader of men. Which brings us to the real point.

The real point is this:

Compare BP to TO

Uh oh

One of my greatest wishes would be fulfilled if this happened within my lifetime.

As far as the OWH goes, Sam McKewon is an even bigger ****** than this guy.

I would not be shocked if it happened. The B10 West may be set up to wither into oblivion, just like the B12 North.

If Nebraska doesn't get better than Wisconsin soon, their issues will get worse.

Aren't 99.9% of the local sports writers pom-pom wavers for the Nebraska football program? The article isn't anything to get mad about I find it kinda comical.

He is right about the schedule, i thought the schedule was favorable in 10, 11, and 12 and they weren't able to take advantage......Barring injuries I will be disappointed if they can't take advantage of this year schedule.

Latest posts