Oliver Martin update

I thought the OL played better over the last 1/3 of the season but that award was a bit much. Watch Alabama vs Florida and then Iowa vs Florida (minus 5 defensive starters). The difference in the OL play is drastic. Alabama's QB struggles throwing the ball but they were still running off big plays. I think they averaged around 7 yards per rush in that game against Florida.

Agreed 100%

When you can get 2 1000 yard rushers on a team where the defense didn't even have to defend against the passing game is pretty impressive.

See above as to why Iowa won the Joe Moore award. There was nothing political about it, Joe Moore wasn't the one voting....

2013 UW had two backs over 1,400 yards and a QB who averaged less than 200 YPG.

2014 UW had a back over 2,200, one over 800, and one over 500. They threw for less than 150 YPG.

As far as I know their OLine coach was never considered for any OC positions. He actually is still in OLine coach with Andersen at Oregon State.

Can you honestly say that Iowa had the best OLine in college football this year?

Last edited:
2013 UW had two backs over 1,400 yards and a QB who averaged less than 200 YPG.

2014 UW had a back over 2,200, one over 800, and one over 500. They threw for less than 150 YPG.

As far as I know their OLine coach was never considered for any OC positions. He actually is still in OLine coach with Andersen at Oregon State.

Can you honestly say that Iowa had the best OLine in college football this year?

This will be my last post on this subject derailing the thread.

It isn't surprising that the past Wisconsin OL didn't win the award, as it wasn't around. The first year of the award was 2015.

It is voted on by people who know what the **** they are talking about, and you clearly do not.

The Joe Moore Award will annually recognize the nation’s Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit that best displays toughness, effort, teamwork, consistency, technique, and “finishing”. The voting committee is comprised of college football experts, especially people who played or coached the offensive line position, including all of the current offensive line coaches at the Division I/FBS level as well as former players, coaches, colleagues of Coach Moore and select media.

Well from what I have read it was the so called experts that said Iowa had the best offensive line. I can't disagree with them as I'm pretty sure the ones that made that call know a lot more about judging the on-line then I do. Not sure how they pick a winner if it's strictly by numbers or other criteria

I wish Martin would just announce that he's going to ND so I can stop getting pulled into this thread, only to find no new news......

I wish Martin would just announce that he's going to ND so I can stop getting pulled into this thread, only to find no new news......
ND seems so up in flux to me. Why go there when in a year or two they'll have a new coaching staff. I can't see Kelly being there a whole lot longer. I'm half surprised he didn't pull an Alford and move on to get out ahead of the posse while he could after this yr.

ND seems so up in flux to me. Why go there when in a year or two they'll have a new coaching staff. I can't see Kelly being there a whole lot longer. I'm half surprised he didn't pull an Alford and move on to get out ahead of the posse while he could after this yr.

Interesting thing I read last night about ND though was they just hired Tommy Rees as their QB coach. I wonder if the ND fans were complaining as much as some of the people on this board as to why it is taking so long to fill the position at Iowa. These things take time everywhere. It will be interesting to see if that hire has anything to do with Martin's decision.

Some kids pick schools more than they are picking a coaching staff.

I think one of the biggest things that might work against us is the kid seems like he is smart and level headed. Where do you go to school if you aren't playing football? Iowa, Notre Dame or Michigan? The only reason Iowa is in the discussion is he grew up here.....that might not be enough to keep him here.

I think one of the biggest things that might work against us is the kid seems like he is smart and level headed. Where do you go to school if you aren't playing football? Iowa, Notre Dame or Michigan?

Agree. I really do think his decision could come down to a question about the school itself, not the football program. Uh oh!

Do we know what his interests are and likely major?

I could also see him being one of those great grad transfers, like Clemson had this year. Come back to Iowa City for his final year of eligibility.

They might get a new coaching staff, but its still a brand name. And they have a better chance of hiring a coaching staff that can implement change than Iowa does in his tenure.

Interesting thing I read last night about ND though was they just hired Tommy Rees as their QB coach. I wonder if the ND fans were complaining as much as some of the people on this board as to why it is taking so long to fill the position at Iowa
. These things take time everywhere. It will be interesting to see if that hire has anything to do with Martin's decision.

Probably taking Iowa so long to fill the positions because they're not hiring internally, have to formally post the job and leave it posted for so many days or weeks, then collect resumes and have interviews. No way you can really do that in under a month. If you do, you're running a half-*** organization.

Probably taking Iowa so long to fill the positions because they're not hiring internally, have to formally post the job and leave it posted for so many days or weeks, then collect resumes and have interviews. No way you can really do that in under a month. If you do, you're running a half-*** organization.

Seems that lots of programs have found loopholes for hiring coaches in a very short time frame.

I think one of the biggest things that might work against us is the kid seems like he is smart and level headed. Where do you go to school if you aren't playing football? Iowa, Notre Dame or Michigan? The only reason Iowa is in the discussion is he grew up here.....that might not be enough to keep him here.
Your very well right about all that. It's hard for me to overlook the thought that of most of the schools he's considering Iowa has the stability part above all. KF and BF are going to be there for his whole tenure almost guaranteed compared to the other schools. He'd be a hometown hero if he were to come and he could play right away. So long as he would like to stay home and the schooling side of things line up with what he'd like to pursue it just seems like it'd be a no brainer. He grew up a fan right? And he came to just about every home game Iowa had this year too. It'd be quite the nut punch to this staff not just the fan base if he goes somewhere else. Maybe he doesn't want the hometown boy pressure. Going to any of those places he'd just be another Johnny 4 star and he could blend in and just do his thing. He should have a good idea of what he's getting into if he were to stay with the fishbowl that is Iowa City and it's history with college athletes. He just seems like such a down to earth quiet kid that all that hoopla stuff wouldn't get to him. I mean if it were wouldn't have started to by now? Well I'll take that back he's still under his folks thumbs at home things change when ya move out sometimes. If I'm checking off the boxes of staying home/stability of program/playing time right away Iowa checks off those boxes. If it's style of play/national championships and getting away from home he's prioritizing then it is what it is...

This has been discussed before. How do you explain ISU hiring Campbell one week after Rhoads was let go? U of I work under a different set of rules vs. ISU? If they do, it needs to change because college programs replace coaches quite quickly these days............MN another example with Fleck.

This will be my last post on this subject derailing the thread.

It isn't surprising that the past Wisconsin OL didn't win the award, as it wasn't around. The first year of the award was 2015.

It is voted on by people who know what the **** they are talking about, and you clearly do not.

The Joe Moore Award will annually recognize the nation’s Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit that best displays toughness, effort, teamwork, consistency, technique, and “finishing”. The voting committee is comprised of college football experts, especially people who played or coached the offensive line position, including all of the current offensive line coaches at the Division I/FBS level as well as former players, coaches, colleagues of Coach Moore and select media.

Yes I researched the Joe Moore award before making my previous post. None of what you are saying really validates your argument that an NFL position coach, who came to the college level and coached an offensive line who had two 1,000 yard rushers is going to be some hot commodity for an OC job.

I just want to make it known that I'm not totally against the BF hire. I just called you out because I completely disagree with the assumption that BF's resume' speaks for itself. Btw, how many other candidates did we interview for the position?

Okay sorry OP. Back to Martin only updates.

Interesting thing I read last night about ND though was they just hired Tommy Rees as their QB coach. I wonder if the ND fans were complaining as much as some of the people on this board as to why it is taking so long to fill the position at Iowa. These things take time everywhere. It will be interesting to see if that hire has anything to do with Martin's decision.

OMG!!!! He's only had 1 year experience as a graduate assistant at Northwestern and 1 year experience at the Chargers as an offensive assistant! How can he be qualified!?!?!? (Oh, wait.... his last name isn't Ferentz)

Latest posts