Oliver Martin update

Actually, I agree with him. If I am a lineman, I strongly consider Iowa to most. If I am a OL, I take Iowa over basically everyone (Kool-aid drinker I know).
But a highly recruited WR, I just don't see why you would go to Iowa to block?

Yeah, Michigan and Alabama have sooooo much trouble getting WR in a pro-style offense. If the offense is how it was the last 5 years that's one thing, but with a new OC which should be name dropping BOB and Bill Bilichick at every opportunity, I disagree.

I wish Jon had never said the whole blocking thing, I wouldn't want many players on the field that can't do their job. Otherwise it just tips our hand. You know the thing we B!^ch and moan about all the time with personnel. I agree we had an overly complicated passing scheme, which kept some talented players off the field.

Time will tell if that continues, I guess I choose to be optimistic about it.

Yeah, Michigan and Alabama have sooooo much trouble getting WR in a pro-style offense. If the offense is how it was the last 5 years that's one thing, but with a new OC which should be name dropping BOB and Bill Bilichick at every opportunity, I disagree.

I wish Jon had never said the whole blocking thing, I wouldn't want many players on the field that can't do their job. Otherwise it just tips our hand. You know the thing we B!^ch and moan about all the time with personnel. I agree we had an overly complicated passing scheme, which kept some talented players off the field.

Time will tell if that continues, I guess I choose to be optimistic about it.
Michigan and Alabama throws the ball more than 3 yards downfield.

Michigan and Alabama throws the ball more than 3 yards downfield.

So you actually believe that nothing on offense will change? Look what our OC did as run game coordinator without a passing game. I'm excited to see where things will go.

Furthermore, do you think the staff is going to tell recruits that we're going to keep our historically bad offensive scheme?

I can't be the only one that is looking at this from a logical perspective, can I?

So you actually believe that nothing on offense will change? Look what our OC did as run game coordinator without a passing game. I'm excited to see where things will go.

Furthermore, do you think the staff is going to tell recruits that we're going to keep our historically bad offensive scheme?

I can't be the only one that is looking at this from a logical perspective, can I?
To answer your question, no, I don't believe our scheme will change much under Brian. Greg Davis proved KOK had his hands tied. It is difficult to say I think it will change under Brian since Brian didn't coach WR's and we don't have a WR coach.

To answer your question, no, I don't believe our scheme will change much under Brian. Greg Davis proved KOK had his hands tied. It is difficult to say I think it will change under Brian since Brian didn't coach WR's and we don't have a WR coach.

Though I don't completely disagree with you, two is a very small sample size. They need a WR and QB coach. I don't know how much that contributes to schemes, though I'm sure there is some contribution, most of it will likely come from the OC or if you're right OC/HC.

LOOK at the running game the last few years and all the changes that have been implemented. Very different from a traditional KF running scheme with Kok and GD.

Though I don't completely disagree with you, two is a very small sample size. They need a WR and QB coach. I don't know how much that contributes to schemes, though I'm sure there is some contribution, most of it will likely come from the OC or if you're right OC/HC.

LOOK at the running game the last few years and all the changes that have been implemented. Very different from a traditional KF running scheme with Kok and GD.
Agreed, but with zero plays as a sample size with Brian. I still would not choose to go to Iowa as an elite WR if I have a nice offer sheet. There are WAY too many programs that have proven to use WRs more/better than the Hawks.

Agreed, but with zero plays as a sample size with Brian. I still would not choose to go to Iowa as an elite WR if I have a nice offer sheet. There are WAY too many programs that have proven to use WRs more/better than the Hawks.

As opposed to what we had anything is probably better. As for an elite WR, if he is truly elite, they will make it anywhere. I've used Damaryius Thomas as an example many times.

If I'm not mistaken he is the state's all-time leading receiver in yards and TDs. He did this in the largest class of football played in Iowa. They had to know he had enough talent to be looked at. Chances are, since he wasn't getting a lot of national attention prior to the summer camps, they felt like they could just sit tight and then swoop in to steal him from UNI or his plethora of MAC-type offers. When he had back-to-back MVP showings at summer camps, the backyard secret was out and they had to offer. Now they just have to hope the hometown pull is great enough...
To be fair, Iowa had recruiting success in the 2017 class at WR that subsequently decommitted.

If he doesn't come here and it comes out that he would have if the coaches would have offered last year, I won't blame them because we don't know how good he was last year. But if it comes out that he would have come here if Iowa was his first offer, I'll know the coaches screwed up buck use there is no way we shouldn't have been his first major offer. That said, I highly doubt that week or two of not offering will really be the difference.

If I'm not mistaken he is the state's all-time leading receiver in yards and TDs. He did this in the largest class of football played in Iowa. They had to know he had enough talent to be looked at. Chances are, since he wasn't getting a lot of national attention prior to the summer camps, they felt like they could just sit tight and then swoop in to steal him from UNI or his plethora of MAC-type offers. When he had back-to-back MVP showings at summer camps, the backyard secret was out and they had to offer. Now they just have to hope the hometown pull is great enough...

Single season receiving yards, Martin is #22 in 2016 with 1272 yards in 13 games; the all time leader is Levi Jungling of Pella Christian with 1602 yards in 11 games in 2015.

Career receiving yards, Martin is #4 with 3449 yards; the all time leader is Levi Jungling with 3818 yards.

Single season receptions, Martin is #12 in 2015 with 85 catches; the all time leader is Connor Hermann of Mt Vernon with 102 catches in 14 games in 2015.

Career receptions, Martin is the leader with 239 catches. TJ Hockenson of Chariton is in second place with 238 catches.

Single season TD receptions, Martin is way down on the list with 14 in 2016 (also 14 in 2015); the all time leader is Tyler Tryon of Ar-We-Va with 23 TD catches in 9 games in 1992.

Career TD receptions, Martin is #8 with 33 TD catches; the all time leader is TJ Hockenson of Chariton with 49.

http://www.iahsaa.org/football/football-archives/ has links to game, season and career stats and rankings as of January 1, 2017.

For what it is worth - good friends of ours are big in the swimming arena and have spent a lot of time with the Martin family. Great family that is keeping it quiet. It's down to Iowa and Notre Dame. Swimming is a huge area for this family and Oliver (and his sister) are incredible swimmers.

Just to stoke the fire, if Iowa had offered him before he became the hot recruit, he would have given verbal and would not have wavered....so if he goes to ND, then not offering early what was close to home will hurt!

If true, I doubt the family would appreciate you posting this.

If you can't tell the difference between the KOK passing offense and the GD passing offense then you must not have been paying attention.
I am not saying that the KOK passing offense was a world burner, but the use of personnel, play action, and route positioning were completely different. Will Iowa always be a run oriented pro style offense, yes. Will we continue to try to run a dink and dunk passing game that hinders the running game more than it helps it, I truly doubt it.

If you can't tell the difference between the KOK passing offense and the GD passing offense then you must not have been paying attention.
I am not saying that the KOK passing offense was a world burner, but the use of personnel, play action, and route positioning were completely different. Will Iowa always be a run oriented pro style offense, yes. Will we continue to try to run a dink and dunk passing game that hinders the running game more than it helps it, I truly doubt it.

Yep, those who can't see the difference it is almost worthless to argue against.....they are grinding an axe, or don't know the difference, either way hardly worth trying to convince them of anything, as they will never see it.

The only thing that will stay the same is a game plan that limits possessions in a game which will make the offensive numbers appear worse than they are and defensive numbers look better than they are. Other than that, the offense was completely different under Davis.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Huge difference between the KOK and Greg Davis offense. I'm assuming there will be a similar difference between the BF and GD offense. The short passing routes were the staple of the GD offense. That wasn't a Ferentz thing.

Do some research IndianaHawk. You can run a pro style offense and throw the ball down the field. Just not really in Greg Davis' system. If I had to guess that part of the offense will be one the first things that Brian changes. That, and the way the receivers were supposed to run their routes. The system seemed entirely too complicated. I have no idea why you'd want to slow down your best athletes by making them have to think too much on the field. It sounds like that's exactly what they were doing.

Latest posts